My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Panther chameleon)

You have been converted! :ROFLMAO: I always make sure not to harvest too much bark/leaf litter/etc from one area, so all the little critters still have homes. Everything serves a purpose in the end! :) Except for mosquitoes. You can tell me all you like that they're an important part of the food chain... I still don't like em!
Yes indeed. I have joined the church of bug empathy, but I promise you, mosquitoes didn't make it to the empathy list. LOL

Ok thank you. I’ll look into buying them soon. I have springtails on the way now finally

I'll second (or third?) Giant Canyons. @jamest0o0 had an ad in the classifieds for them. They multiple relatively quickly and are large enough to be a tasty snack, too. They do a great job in my enclosure, poop doesn't last more than a day or so. I'm currently breeding them to use in the other 3 enclosures. Just make sure they have plenty of places to hide and cork bark... I added some to Clarice's cage and I think she ate them all. She would dig around in the leaves for them.

I had issues with dwarf whites, you really need to keep the soil moist for them. I think I killed off my first culture, and that was in a humid sterlite container.

The isopod cultures are doing well, and the springtails are really taking off! Still no baby isopods, but there appear to be several females in both cultures that are carrying young so I don't think it'll be much longer before I see little ones.

I'll finally be bringing my terrarium home on Friday (possibly Saturday, pending my energy levels), and I expect to spend most of the day planning, and possibly starting construction. I've been preparing by categorizing my current plants by light preference and size, haha! Picked up a couple more over the weekend (pink stripe spiderwort, Irish moss, white nerve plant), and stand at a solid 20 individual plants that I'd like to incorporate. I may need to edit a bit - we'll see! Any plants that don't make the cut will likely become part of a free range in the window.

It'll be another 3 weeks before I can get my lighting, but progress is being made! (y)

The isopod cultures are doing well, and the springtails are really taking off! Still no baby isopods, but there appear to be several females in both cultures that are carrying young so I don't think it'll be much longer before I see little ones.

I'll finally be bringing my terrarium home on Friday (possibly Saturday, pending my energy levels), and I expect to spend most of the day planning, and possibly starting construction. I've been preparing by categorizing my current plants by light preference and size, haha! Picked up a couple more over the weekend (pink stripe spiderwort, Irish moss, white nerve plant), and stand at a solid 20 individual plants that I'd like to incorporate. I may need to edit a bit - we'll see! Any plants that don't make the cut will likely become part of a free range in the window.

It'll be another 3 weeks before I can get my lighting, but progress is being made! (y)

Sounds like plenty of plants lol. What size terrarium were you doing again?

Sounds like plenty of plants lol. What size terrarium were you doing again?

36x18x36 ExoTerra :) Granted, many of the plants are either small species, ephiphytes, or can be pruned as needed. Gotta finish cataloging, see what ought to fit where and why. I love art projects, and I went a little overboard on plants so that I had a wide "palette" to "paint" with haha! It should be interesting to see how everything grows in!

36x18x36 ExoTerra :) Granted, many of the plants are either small species, ephiphytes, or can be pruned as needed. Gotta finish cataloging, see what ought to fit where and why. I love art projects, and I went a little overboard on plants so that I had a wide "palette" to "paint" with haha! It should be interesting to see how everything grows in!

Sweet, can't wait to see how you plant it. Did your a. Vulgare rebound ok after the reseed?

Gonna be pretty sweet! Can't wait to see how you end up setting plants up. How's the moss doing?

Thank you - im really excited! :D I havent quite gotten around to making a "moss milkshake" yet! I decided that I ought to wait until the pieces are in place before I slather them with moss goo. I figure I'll construct the major pieces, add the moss, and then leave it outside to air out while I wait for my lighting. :)

Sweet, can't wait to see how you plant it. Did your a. Vulgare rebound ok after the reseed?

I'm probably putting more thought into planning than strictly necesssry, but I'm having a blast! I really hope it turns out well, though I expect I'll keep working on it until it meets my exacting standards regardless haha! :p

My A. Vulgare culture is doing great, now! I think the die off was in part due to excess moisture, which has since been fixed, in combination with some mold growth (springtails handled that once they established). It seems to have helped that I gave them a nice big hunk of ponderosa pine bark to hang out on under their ventilation window. If they want lower humidity, they seem to congregate up on top of it!

Thank you - im really excited! :D I havent quite gotten around to making a "moss milkshake" yet! I decided that I ought to wait until the pieces are in place before I slather them with moss goo. I figure I'll construct the major pieces, add the moss, and then leave it outside to air out while I wait for my lighting. :)

I'm probably putting more thought into planning than strictly necesssry, but I'm having a blast! I really hope it turns out well, though I expect I'll keep working on it until it meets my exacting standards regardless haha! :p

My A. Vulgare culture is doing great, now! I think the die off was in part due to excess moisture, which has since been fixed, in combination with some mold growth (springtails handled that once they established). It seems to have helped that I gave them a nice big hunk of ponderosa pine bark to hang out on under their ventilation window. If they want lower humidity, they seem to congregate up on top of it!

Awesome!! Never really thought I'd actually "enjoy" keeping any kind of bug as a pet but, I like my isopods haha.

Awesome!! Never really thought I'd actually "enjoy" keeping any kind of bug as a pet but, I like my isopods haha.

Haha right?! I started a culture for the sake of saving a few dollars, but I've genuinely enjoyed keeping them! I might try for selective breeding at some point, just for fun. I have a couple very nice high yellow a. Vulgare, though sadly they're all female. If I can find a male, I'll segregate him with a few virgin females and see what happens! :)

Haha right?! I started a culture for the sake of saving a few dollars, but I've genuinely enjoyed keeping them! I might try for selective breeding at some point, just for fun. I have a couple very nice high yellow a. Vulgare, though sadly they're all female. If I can find a male, I'll segregate him with a few virgin females and see what happens! :)

I've got several in my wc culture too. They are pretty cool for sure lol. I've also noticed what appear to be some koi traits popping up in my dalmatian tub now too. But, honestly, my favorite are the Ornatus. They are so active it makes watching them "fun" lol.

I've got several in my wc culture too. They are pretty cool for sure lol. I've also noticed what appear to be some koi traits popping up in my dalmatian tub now too. But, honestly, my favorite are the Ornatus. They are so active it makes watching them "fun" lol.

I really like the looks of the p. Ornatus - especially the high yellow morphs! My o. Asellus are definitely much more active (and thus interesting to observe!) than the a. Vulgare, and are always darting about. I have high hopes for them! There should be enough food for both species to coexist... I did find them together in the wild, so hopefully they'll play nice! It seems that they have slightly different feeding habits from what I've observed so far, which should help keep the status quo.

I really like the looks of the p. Ornatus - especially the high yellow morphs! My o. Asellus are definitely much more active (and thus interesting to observe!) than the a. Vulgare, and are always darting about. I have high hopes for them! There should be enough food for both species to coexist... I did find them together in the wild, so hopefully they'll play nice! It seems that they have slightly different feeding habits from what I've observed so far, which should help keep the status quo.

Mine are "south/ yellow dot". I've been tempted to set up a display tank of some sort for a small portion of them though lol.

Ladies and gentlemen, it has begun!! :D attached are some draft pictures that I took while playing around. It's turning out differently than I had originally thought, but that's art for you! I'll be cleaning the terrarium glass and starting with the foam a little later today, after I run some errands. About how long do I want to wait between layers, and how long does it take to become solid enough to support weight? (@Brodybreaux25, @jamest0o0)

The plan is to fill up the top with smaller branches, and plant my hibiscus and possibly a coffee tree towards the bottom left. I have lots of bark, and between that and the foam I expect everything will be shifted forward by ~2 inches. The basking lamp will be on the left hand side, and I'll be tucking my Full Throttle feeder behind the far left stump/planter. Very open to criticisms and tips! :D

Basic rough mock up (without bark) of the large pieces. Red = deep holes for epiphytes, green = planters:

With two of the larger branches tentatively placed:

Right side accent "trunk":

Ladies and gentlemen, it has begun!! :D attached are some draft pictures that I took while playing around. It's turning out differently than I had originally thought, but that's art for you! I'll be cleaning the terrarium glass and starting with the foam a little later today, after I run some errands. About how long do I want to wait between layers, and how long does it take to become solid enough to support weight? (@Brodybreaux25, @jamest0o0)

The plan is to fill up the top with smaller branches, and plant my hibiscus and possibly a coffee tree towards the bottom left. I have lots of bark, and between that and the foam I expect everything will be shifted forward by ~2 inches. The basking lamp will be on the left hand side, and I'll be tucking my Full Throttle feeder behind the far left stump/planter. Very open to criticisms and tips! :D

Basic rough mock up (without bark) of the large pieces. Red = deep holes for epiphytes, green = planters:

View attachment 234391

With two of the larger branches tentatively placed:

View attachment 234392

Right side accent "trunk":

View attachment 234393
Get it girl and you want to send me one of your logs? I like those sticks lol

Get it girl and you want to send me one of your logs? I like those sticks lol

Haha why thank you! :D I live in a lucky area for foraging, what can I say? I like to pretend I have good taste, too. :p That log on the back right took me a solid 30 minutes to harvest, since my handsaw was badly blunted. I just needed to have it! Landed on my rear more than once while I was yanking on it. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom