Bioactive Build

I’m getting close!
Applied some oil based paint to the sides to cover up the foam, used a glass scraper to clean up the lines and then moved the enclosure to where it’s going to live.

I’m using a Sansi 34w led spotlight in a Flukers 5.5” sun dome. I read that these bulbs make good basking spots for certain chams. We’ll see how it performs after heating up. Don’t have my UVB light on yet and it’s pretty lit up.

Also attached pics of the drainage tubing. Covered it with silicon and substrate to hide it. Same method as the foam.

Will definitely be painting the sides now! I didn't even think about this :LOL:

Will definitely be painting the sides now! I didn't even think about this :LOL:
It’s really just a small detail that I overlooked, too. I saw someone spray paint the ones they make for customers. Since I can’t spray paint at the place I live (I got in trouble last time) I used a “brush on” version. It’s not perfect since you can see brush strokes, but it looks a heck of a lot better than the ugly yellow foam. I chose the oil based because it won’t come off with water. They make glass paint that works, but the craft stores near me that have it aren’t open. The one I used is nice because I scraped off the edges with my glass scraper pretty easily to line up with the foam on the inside.

It’s really just a small detail that I overlooked, too. I saw someone spray paint the ones they make for customers. Since I can’t spray paint at the place I live (I got in trouble last time) I used a “brush on” version. It’s not perfect since you can see brush strokes, but it looks a heck of a lot better than the ugly yellow foam. I chose the oil based because it won’t come off with water. They make glass paint that works, but the craft stores near me that have it aren’t open. The one I used is nice because I scraped off the edges with my glass scraper pretty easily to line up with the foam on the inside.

Oooo, might have to get me some black spray paint bottles? Or maybe I should get really creative and use a lavender color! Lmao
I love how it's looking so far though! Excited to see more pioctures

Oooo, might have to get me some black spray paint bottles? Or maybe I should get really creative and use a lavender color! Lmao
I love how it's looking so far though! Excited to see more pioctures

If you really wanted to embrace your artistic side you could just paint a jungle scape on the sides with glass paint. The kind they sell at Michaels. You can order on amazon if you wanna spend the money and time. It’ll probably scratch off after time tho.

Okay y’all. Super close on this. Made some abg mix with coco husk, fur bark, charcoal and sphagnum moss. Going to add my leaf litter once I get the plants in. Have custodian fuel coming in the mail today so I’ll probably add that as well. Basically giving my microfauna a buffet in hopes they reproduce and thrive.

Pictures are hard to focus with the bright light in the cage, but in person it’s very well lit with some shadowy places. Might play around the the shelves on the floor a bit more.

Attachments

• 50E023ED-BA6B-4EB8-A1A9-85FF3D030E28.jpeg
    50E023ED-BA6B-4EB8-A1A9-85FF3D030E28.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 159
  • D927E5B8-2FE0-4D95-A97A-49411A23DB22.jpeg
    D927E5B8-2FE0-4D95-A97A-49411A23DB22.jpeg
    263.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 6B48FC4D-8C0E-47DE-B1BB-287412472465.jpeg
    6B48FC4D-8C0E-47DE-B1BB-287412472465.jpeg
    310.5 KB · Views: 155
  • F1792941-44A5-40C4-9743-32598C269CFC.jpeg
    F1792941-44A5-40C4-9743-32598C269CFC.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 157
Probably getting some river rock to cover the tops of the planters so any chams that might go in this don’t get impacted from the bark.

I'm nearly finished with the build. Got most of my plants in. I had to sacrifice some of them since there was no room.

After planting all the plants there was something that wasn't sitting right with me. I spoke with Mike Tyluta aka "graphic phoenix" who suggested I take out the white branches I originally had. I did this and added a bunch of branches in their places. It looks a lot better to me and will give the eventual cham resident of the enclosure some more places to climb on.

I still have a few more tweaks and have to clean it up a bit, but here's what I've got:

IMG_9580.jpeg
IMG_9593.jpeg

I'm nearly finished with the build. Got most of my plants in. I had to sacrifice some of them since there was no room.

After planting all the plants there was something that wasn't sitting right with me. I spoke with Mike Tyluta aka "graphic phoenix" who suggested I take out the white branches I originally had. I did this and added a bunch of branches in their places. It looks a lot better to me and will give the eventual cham resident of the enclosure some more places to climb on.

I still have a few more tweaks and have to clean it up a bit, but here's what I've got:

View attachment 262410View attachment 262411

and I am so jealous of how it turned out! You did an amazing job!

I have some bad news.

I mist the enclosure every night before I turn off the lights. Tonight when I got home from the office I was exhausted and I pulled a really dumb, lazy move.

When coming into the room tonight I set down a spray bottle of water that I don’t typically use in order to tweak some things in the enclosure. I didn’t notice I’d left an identical spray bottle of pine sol in the room yesterday after I cleaned.

I mistakingly grabbed the wrong bottle of fluid and sprayed the enclosure down halfway with pine sol before I smelled it and noticed what I’d done wrong.

I immediately rinsed the enclosure with water to get the pine sol off the plants
I’m too paranoid to let this enclosure continue to grow in now that pine sol is permanently in it. Luckily I haven’t added my custodians so they aren’t harmed. I’ll end up having to soak these plants and redo most of the enclosure.

I’m really bummed but it’s probably going to turn out better next time since I have an idea of what I’m shooting for.

Stay tuned for the redo of this build

I have some bad news.

I mist the enclosure every night before I turn off the lights. Tonight when I got home from the office I was exhausted and I pulled a really dumb, lazy move.

When coming into the room tonight I set down a spray bottle of water that I don’t typically use in order to tweak some things in the enclosure. I didn’t notice I’d left an identical spray bottle of pine sol in the room yesterday after I cleaned.

I mistakingly grabbed the wrong bottle of fluid and sprayed the enclosure down halfway with pine sol before I smelled it and noticed what I’d done wrong.

I immediately rinsed the enclosure with water to get the pine sol off the plants
I’m too paranoid to let this enclosure continue to grow in now that pine sol is permanently in it. Luckily I haven’t added my custodians so they aren’t harmed. I’ll end up having to soak these plants and redo most of the enclosure.

I’m really bummed but it’s probably going to turn out better next time since I have an idea of what I’m shooting for.

Stay tuned for the redo of this build

Really sad that this happened to you! I know you worked really hard on this. I'm just as exited to see the new one as I was with this one. ?

Alrighty time to get back at it. Unfortunately for my wallet I spent another $60 on plants because I didn’t like the ones I originally got as much as I had thought. Picked up some jumbo cork bark pieces and on my way to get the rest of the materials now. I figure I’ll just add to this thread to keep everything consolidated.

Attachments

• 6F2DA24D-DAB9-4775-B876-D484BA09CE47.jpeg
    6F2DA24D-DAB9-4775-B876-D484BA09CE47.jpeg
    289 KB · Views: 140
  • 93863E94-6AB0-4E17-A933-EA6F7533EA9F.jpeg
    93863E94-6AB0-4E17-A933-EA6F7533EA9F.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 163
I believe most of them are. I have to check on the certain variations of some of them. I have other uses for some of them if not tho

I know I am a couple days late on the toxic plant discussion, but FWIW I am of the opinion that the safe plant lists I see floating around are overly conservative for non-foliage eating species. I've seen quite a few plants labeled as toxic that I believe to be harmless. I suspect the lists are derived from keeper experience and maybe ASPCA poison control info derived from dogs and cats. Per my exotic veterinarian faculty members, there really aren't any good resources that have anything approaching a comprehensive evidence-based list of what's toxic to reptiles and what is not, because there isn't really any research into it.

While it is better safe than sorry, you're likely going to be fine using aroid plants with calcium oxalates as their only toxin, and this encompasses a lot of plants you might want to use. Golden pothos is an aroid plant labeled as safe by all lists despite having calcium oxalate crystals (basically a local irritant), but I've seen Alocasia, Philodendron, and Monstera all labeled as toxic despite being from the same family and having the same toxin as pothos. I have used all three without incident. My panther chameleon does not munch on leaves, and I have yet to see a wayward feeder try to take a bite out of one of the aroids, so the odds of getting a contamination are essentially zero before even considering the fact I don't consider these plants to be very toxic (some keepers report their veileds actively eating the leaves without incident).

TLDR - Be smart about your plant selection and don't do anything totally crazy, but remember the lists aren't really based on much. I'd be fairly conservative with a veiled that eats foliage, but with a chameleon that never eats foliage I don't think it makes sense to worry about which ficus or aroid you're going to use. And if anyone is aware of actual plant poisonings of chameleons beyond ficus sap in the eye (which I have heard can be a problem), please shoot me a DM, I would be interested to know.

Back
Top Bottom