My Bioactive Enclosure Build (Panther chameleon)

I want to say that when I was looking into using pond foam they recommend you letting it cure over night. This way you are able to cut into it and it will be totally dry. Or add more layers. They did the back first then a side the next day then the other side the next day. The other cool thing I saw was someone permanently put in one set of pots into the foam and then they pushed straws into the bottom of the pot so that when they foamed the plants were able to easily drain water. They then just pulled out the straws when it set up the next day.

Haha why thank you! :D I live in a lucky area for foraging, what can I say? I like to pretend I have good taste, too. :p That log on the back right took me a solid 30 minutes to harvest, since my handsaw was badly blunted. I just needed to have it! Landed on my rear more than once while I was yanking on it. :ROFLMAO:
Wow go big or go home! Love it your a rock star! I can only imagine walking in tails and finding a women attacking a tree of its wood

I want to say that when I was looking into using pond foam they recommend you letting it cure over night. This way you are able to cut into it and it will be totally dry. Or add more layers. They did the back first then a side the next day then the other side the next day. The other cool thing I saw was someone permanently put in one set of pots into the foam and then they pushed straws into the bottom of the pot so that when they foamed the plants were able to easily drain water. They then just pulled out the straws when it set up the next day.

Thanks Becca! That's sort of what I thought, but I couldn't quite remember. I'll foam up the back today, in that case, then a side tomorrow and Monday, and the sticks probably on Tuesday. (y) I had heard of the straw trick - I'll probably do something similar!

Wow go big or go home! Love it your a rock star! I can only imagine walking in tails and finding a women attacking a tree of its wood

Oh, girl, it was much worse than that! That stump was on strata land, in direct view of all of my neighbors. :oops: I definitely got some comments, hahaha! :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Becca! That's sort of what I thought, but I couldn't quite remember. I'll foam up the back today, in that case, then a side tomorrow and Monday, and the sticks probably on Tuesday. (y) I had heard of the straw trick - I'll probably do something similar!

Oh, girl, it was much worse than that! That stump was on strata land, in direct view of all of my neighbors. :oops: I definitely got some comments, hahaha! :ROFLMAO:
What is strata land?

Ooo no lol you are hella judged then. Your neighbors now call you the crazy tree lady :ROFLMAO: My new house is covered with so many logs and branches I think I’ll be harvesting them soon too

LOL ok I was like is she raiding a nature preserve or something..

I mean, I've considered it... briefly of course! :p

Ooo no lol you are hella judged then. Your neighbors now call you the crazy tree lady :ROFLMAO: My new house is covered with so many logs and branches I think I’ll be harvesting them soon too

Oh, I was definitely judged! Post graveyard shift in my dirty scrubs with my psychotic flyaway hair and crazy bags under my eyes, covered in dirt and cursing at a stump in broad daylight. Yep. :oops: No regrets!

12 hour minimum. I’ve never used it on glass before but that stuff sticks to EVERYTHING! Definitely wear some disposable gloves.

Expansion rate Varys GREATLY from brand to brand, read the label.

Thanks Brody! I'll do that. If I get up early enough tomorrow, I can probably knock out both sides if it's ok after 12 hours. It says it'll stick to glass, but I am slightly worried that it might peel away in time - apparently it occasionally happens! Many people making bbackgrounds with GreatStuff on glass have no problems with it, though, so I don't know. Would it be smart to put down a couple layers of FlexSeal/liquid rubber first, do you think? :unsure:

Oh, I was definitely judged! Post graveyard shift in my dirty scrubs with my psychotic flyaway hair and crazy bags under my eyes, covered in dirt and cursing at a stump in broad daylight. Yep. :oops: No regrets!

Thanks Brody! I'll do that. If I get up early enough tomorrow, I can probably knock out both sides if it's ok after 12 hours. It says it'll stick to glass, but I am slightly worried that it might peel away in time - apparently it occasionally happens! Many people making bbackgrounds with GreatStuff on glass have no problems with it, though, so I don't know. Would it be smart to put down a couple layers of FlexSeal/liquid rubber first, do you think? :unsure:
I love your no shame! Miss lily will really appreciate later on

I think your fine without it, I had an old can of great stuff and a broken piece of glass, we’ll see how secure it is in the morning

I think your fine without it, I had an old can of great stuff and a broken piece of glass, we’ll see how secure it is in the morning

You're awesome, thanks Brody!! :D

I'm just hanging out with Lily in the shade with a spray bottle while I wait for the worst of the heat to die down. Too hot to work right now, haha! Nice and comfy here in the shade and breeze, though. :)

Hey, sorry I just got back from a little trip. Haven't had service! Hope the project is going well

Hey, there he is! How dare you not have service! :p

Just got two of the larger pieces settled in a few hours ago. Holy cow that foam is tough once it starts to cure! I originally put the big stump about 6" too low, and tried to move it half an hour later. It really didnt want to go, haha! It's a tad unwieldy and I made a bit of a mess, but I've got my bearings now. I want to put another planter somewhere on the back, but I haven't decided where yet!

Yeah I used throw away clothes and supplies when working with foam lol. It's a mess! Looking good though, so you're foaming onto the glass then?

Yeah, I'm currently foaming onto the glass. The manufacturer says it should be fine, though I'm a little worried how it'll hold up over time (i.e. a couple years from now). Guess we'll see!

Next step done! It's very precariously balanced with rocks and pots. Hopefully it doesn't shift!

Hmm - I don't think I'm going to add another planter to the background after all... between the fern that's going to take up most of the left hand side in the stump, a pothos in the right log, and some epiphytes I think I'll get good coverage. I'm not sure I'll even use my bark, after all. Turning out much differently than I originally planned, but that's the creative process for you!

Back
Top Bottom