Clay's Giant Enclosure Build!

Monday, June 19th
The polywall cuts have been planned out and the first cut has been made. Tomorrow I will staple the polywall and screen on the cage for the top panels. Not sure what I will use for the bottom yet, researching it tonight.

Wednesday, June 21st
Wow, already this far through June. The bottom is going to be plywood with pond liner (thanks @Extensionofgreen) but the rest will be polywall. Forgot to update yesterday, but the framing is all worked out and half installed for the polywall and bottom.

Thursday, June 22nd
Today has been a great day! My parents decided they wanted the enclosure done asap just as much as I did, and said they could pay me in advance for everything I needed! So expect some major updates in the next week! Clay doesn't seem to know this though. He got taken outside, showered for the first time, and the his cage got moved. Big day, but now he's very timid.

Friday, June 23rd
I went ahead and got two 22' arcadia 12% bulbs and a MegaRay for UVB, and I went to home depot and got the rest of the materials for the cage. Unfortunately, the fixture I got wasn't even the right proportions! It was about an inch too long for the bulbs. Now I have to go back to home depot or lowes and get a new fixture

I am completely done with the framing of the cage, and starting on the plywood and polywall. I also found Clay about to go to sleep with all four feet on the same inch of branch. Love him!

Attachments

• IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2514.JPG
    IMG_2514.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 176
Saturday, June 24th
I finalized plans for the cage back and put in the pond liner in the base (didn't get a picture). Unfortunately, the staples I used for the plywood aren't strong enough so I have to get screws later. The cage will probably be finished by tomorrow, the door put in, lights tested, and Clay put in by Monday!

Attachments

• IMG_2516.JPG
    IMG_2516.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 145
Sunday, June 25th
The cage is, for all intents and purposes, done! All that is left is to add paneling to the sides and drainage, the door, then once the lights are here, Clay will be ready to go! I also shot myself in the leg with a staple gun, but it didn't go in far and I'm fine, don't worry :).

Attachments

• IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 166
Wednesday, June 28th
I haven't gotten much done on the cage as it is pretty much finished and my carpet might need replacing because of a storm, so clay is moved to the room next to mine. On a better note, I'm going to start raising pallid and red goblin roaches.

Friday, June 30th
The cage is now completely done! Terrible timing though, because I am going to Kansas City for the weekend. I will get better pics later today.

Attachments

• IMG_2552.JPG
    IMG_2552.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 163
Sunday, July 2nd
It's already July! I am back from my trip and I know now what I will do to finish the cage. I will add the substrate in so the cage is complete, but not the micro fauna, so the substrate can get settled a bit. I may or may not be able to get the cage done by Saturday, which is when I leave for a Colorado for a week. Even if I do get it done, Clay will not go in it until after the trip, because I want to make sure the soil is properly functioning in the cage.

Tuesday, July 4th
Happy 4th! No progress was made today except going to to the store for some tape, screen, and wood. Tomorrow we will go to the hydroponics store to get sunshine mix 4, a bulkhead (maybe), and the drainage layer.

Back
Top Bottom