Clay's Giant Enclosure Build!

Me too, I just got an order from them. Bought stupid almond leaf litter. Said a 10 pack. Thought it meant 10 bags of leaves... it was literally 10 leaves lol.. They are huge though. They do have great stuff though
I ordered one of those jeweled orchids they have, hope it lives up to what people say once it gets here in a few years...

Few questions about your enclosure since I have and am doing an almost identical set up for my free ranges.

What's your drainage plan? Are you going to manually pump the water, out or have it free flow out somewhere?

Can't wait to see your lighting too, going to be bright!

Few questions about your enclosure since I have and am doing an almost identical set up for my free ranges.

What's your drainage plan? Are you going to manually pump the water, out or have it free flow out somewhere?

Can't wait to see your lighting too, going to be bright!
I will have a pvc pipe going through the bottom of the cage and sticking up into the drainage layer. That way if the reservoir gets too full it will drain into the pipe. I will have a few Jds and I think two 6 bulb t8 fixtures.

I will have a pvc pipe going through the bottom of the cage and sticking up into the drainage layer. That way if the reservoir gets too full it will drain into the pipe. I will have a few Jds and I think two 6 bulb t8 fixtures.

You just using grow bulbs in the t8s?

Also your drainage sounds like a good idea, but I'm not fully picturing it in my head. Do you have a photo or anything? Sorry I'm dumb right now :(

You just using grow bulbs in the t8s?

Also your drainage sounds like a good idea, but I'm not fully picturing it in my head. Do you have a photo or anything? Sorry I'm dumb right now :(
Go to my thread that I linked in the first post. There's a pic of the basic layout there. That was way before the cage was finalized and all the materials were chosen, but the basic idea for the substrate layer is correct. I am also just using grow bulbs, because I'm getting a megaray for uvb.

Saturday, June 10th
I got the materials today! Well, I got the wood, screws, and wood glue to build the frame. The polywall and screen will come later. Construction will start today or tomorrow, but I first need to cut the wood and bring it downstairs. I'm going to assemble portions of it in the room next to mine, then take the portions into my room for final assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_2449.JPG
    IMG_2449.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 93
Saturday, June 10th
The cage is about halfway done! I tweaked the dimensions a little, now the cage will stand 6'6" tall, and the place where the chameleon actually lives will be 6' tall. Bigger is better! Tomorrow, I am going to buy screen and polywall, as well as the rest of the wood for the base of the cage. If all goes well, the cage will be move in ready by tomorrow night! I am planning on setting it up in my room tomorrow without any of the bioactive soil or insects, just as a normal cage, and filling it with substrate later. That way, my room will not be as cluttered for a month.

Attachments

• IMG_2452.JPG
    IMG_2452.JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2453.JPG
    IMG_2453.JPG
    211 KB · Views: 132
Saturday, June 10th
The cage is about halfway done! I tweaked the dimensions a little, now the cage will stand 6'6" tall, and the place where the chameleon actually lives will be 6' tall. Bigger is better! Tomorrow, I am going to buy screen and polywall, as well as the rest of the wood for the base of the cage. If all goes well, the cage will be move in ready by tomorrow night! I am planning on setting it up in my room tomorrow without any of the bioactive soil or insects, just as a normal cage, and filling it with substrate later. That way, my room will not be as cluttered for a month.
Btw, Clay will not be in the cage at the time I decided. As I don't have the proper lighting yet, I don't think he would do as well in there.

Saturday, June 10th
I can't wait to see this all done . Sounds Amazing !!.

Sunday, June 11th
The framing of the cage is done! All I need to do now is add polywall and lattice on the inside, and install the doors after everything inside is set up. The cage will probably rest on either wooden cubes or reclaimed filing cabinets for support and storage.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.JPG
    IMG_2454.JPG
    264.8 KB · Views: 112
Sunday, June 11th
The framing of the cage is done! All I need to do now is add polywall and lattice on the inside, and install the doors after everything inside is set up. The cage will probably rest on either wooden cubes or reclaimed filing cabinets for support and storage.
This looks amazing . I need this for our baby boy panther he needs space !!. Awesome job . Have you decided on what plants ?

This looks amazing . I need this for our baby boy panther he needs space !!. Awesome job . Have you decided on what plants ?
Yes and no. I will try to make a list of the plants currently going in the cage:
That I have
1 Dracaena Tree (3')
1 Ficus Tree (4')
1 Large bromeliad
1 large tillandsia
3-5 air tillandsia
1 Parlor Palm (1')
3 Parlor Palm cuttings (4" each)
1 Kiwi Fern Coleus (1')
2 Kiwi fern coleus cuttings
1 Large leaf purple/green Coleus (1')
2 Large Pothos
2-3 Pothos cuttings (6")
1 Nepenthes sp. (2 stems 6" each)
1 Ficus cutting (still in water)
2 Passiflora seedlings (3")
1 Large Orange Celosia (4 Stems 1' each)
1 Celosia Cutting
5 Veronica Sp ground cover (if it is safe)
On the way/ planning
1 Jeweled Orchid
1 Calathea
1 Bromeliad Pup
1 aluminum plant
1 other plant I forgot
... and more coming after that!

Back
Top Bottom