Bumps?!?

Cjd713

Hey guys:D haven't been on in a while, he did fine when he was in the bus for a few days, he wasn't that stressed or anything.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 65 Gallon Reptarium
Lighting - 60w incandescant, 5.0 fluorescent tube, from 8:45 am to 9:00 pm.
Temperature - Not exactly sure, but at his basking spot it's around high 80's, night time is in 70's, measure with digital probe thermometer
Humidity - I don't know the exact levels, I mist 2-4 times daily
Plants - N/A
Placement - In the corner of my bedroom. Not near any wind. The top of the cage is about my eye level
Location - SE Ohio

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - ~2-3 m.o. Veiled chameleon, i've had him since late August
Handling - Daily-every other, I hand feed
Feeding - Right now he is being fed crickets. they are gutloaded with , gutload :p
Supplements - I dust the crickets with calcium/d3 for about 3-4 days every month
Watering - I mist about 2-4 times daily, I have seen him drink,
Fecal Description - Healthy , white with brown, solid
History - got him from LLL back in August
Current Problem - I have noticed about 4 little bumps on him that look like they are under his skin. They aren't moving around, so I don't think they're mites, but I'm not sure. I don't know if he fell and broke something, or what. I have also recently found him hiding under his paper towels a few times. I know it's not a proper drainage, but we're moving soon, so it's just temporary. Any help would be appreciated :) I'll try to get pictures up soon :)

Thanks - Conner

Can you post a picture please?

Are his legs and arms straight between the joints? Does he lift his body off the branch when he walks?

IMHO your supplement regime needs improvement and your chameleon may be suffering from a calcium imbalance.

Because insects used as feeders often have a poor ratio of calcium to phos. so its important to dust at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder.

I only use the calcium/D3 powder twice a month to ensure that it gets some without overdoing it. D3 from supplements can build up in the system so its important not to overdo it.

I use a vitamin powder twice a month with a beta carotene source of vitamin A too. Beta carotene (prOformed) sources of vitamin A won't build up in the system like prEformed sources will. Excess vitamin A can interfere with the D3 and push the chameleon towards MBD.

Gutloading the insects and feeding them well is also important.

For good bone health its important that the main players (calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are in balance. You need to look at what you supplement with, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleons when trying to attain a balance.

Unless there is an obvious sign that the chameleon has a calcium issue, you will need to go to a vet. If the calcium is brought back into balance quickly your chameleon could still live a good long life...but you also need to address your husbandry.

Back
Top Bottom