Grow and eating

Hello guys, I am a bit worried about my 7 months old male panther chameleon. Problem is my I don't usually see him eating. I am trying to give him about 10 medium sized crickets per day. But he is pooping regularly, For example I saw him poope 2 big poops. Also my cousins visited me like 2 days ago and I asked them if they think that he had grew up(last time that they saw him was 2 or 3 months ago).They told me that they didn't really see any difference. He shed like 2 times, 1. time in September and 2. time in November. Last thing His enclosure is located near table where I eat and usually when I sit there he is trying to climb on me enclosure. He is with me since end of the August. I am worried about him. Any advice?

Hello and welcome! Lets do a husbandry review to make sure you have everything correct for your little guy.

I would say if your guy is pooping and shedding he is eating. You could get a little gram scale and weigh him weekly to ensure his growth as well. Where you see him daily you are not going to notice if he is really growing a lot or not, and depending on how often your cousins see him I am guessing the same.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Is he eating while your aren’t there? Have you checked to see how many bugs are still in the cup? I hope he is alright! 😊

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - 7 months old male nosy be panther chameleon. He is in my care for 4 months.
  • Handling - Well I don't really want to handle him but when I am near his enclosure he is trying to climb on me so everyday.
  • Feeding - I feed him with 10 crickets per day. Medium size. Every feeding I use reptiplanet calcium without D3 and every 2 weeks multivitamins with D3. I am gut-loading them with salat and apple.
  • Supplements - I use every feeding reptiplanet calcium without D3 and every 2 weeks reptiplanet multivitamins with D3.
  • Watering - I handmist his enclosure. I mist it every morning and evening.
  • Fecal Description - I will attach picture. He hasn't been tested for parasites.
  • History - I can't think about anything.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass enclosure with screened top. Dimensions are 60x45x90cm
  • Lighting - I use Arcadia 6% 39W. Lightning schedule is 12hours.
  • Temperature - Basking temp is between 29-32 degrees celsius. Temp range between floor and middle of the enclosure is 21 to 24 degrees celsius(as he goes higher temp is higher too).
  • Humidity - I have not buy reliable hygrometer yet.
  • Plants - Yes I use live plants(Boston fern, Schefflera Arboricola, Ficus Benjamin
  • Placement - Next to the fridge. He is at place where we are often moving around. I thing 1,5m.
  • Location - Europe, Slovakia.

Current Problem - I don't really see him eating and I don't think he is growing. (my cousins confirmed that). He is trying get out of his enclosure when I am moving around or when I am misting(I don't know if it is problem). Maybe I am too much worried about him.

Attachments

• tempImageBP6uA4.png
    tempImageBP6uA4.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 22
  • tempImagezUkcDw.png
    tempImagezUkcDw.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • tempImageijzCMe.png
    tempImageijzCMe.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • tempImagevjgtGW.png
    tempImagevjgtGW.png
  • tempImagezxjnGo.png
    tempImagezxjnGo.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 22
  • tempImageGQ59yR.png
    tempImageGQ59yR.png
Is he eating while your aren’t there? Have you checked to see how many bugs are still in the cup? I hope he is alright! 😊
Well problem is when I brought him home 4 months ago he was eating from cup but if crickets weren't moving he wouldn't eat them so I placed small branch inside the cup so crickets can move and he can hunt but now I don't really see him eat. Maybe 2 crickets per day(which I saw that he eat). I don't want stress him out so I give him food and drink and I am trying to leave him alone. I often see crickets moving around his enclosure. That's another reason why I think he is not eating.

I have a camera set up so I can monitor Loki, maybe that could help. I am currently having the same problem with my chameleon only eating 2 a day, he is 5 and a half months. I am trying to get a feeder run which is recommended.

Hi and welcome. Have you tried a variety of feeders like locusts, dubia roaches, black soldier fly larve, more variety is good .I would also add more items to your gutload which you can find on chameleon academy. Do you know what weight he is . I would definitely recommend getting a fecal done as parasites can stunt growth, but panthers grow / mature slower than yeman ,but best to rule this out 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230513_194102_Samsung Internet.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 22
Thanks! See my response in bold:

• Your Chameleon - 7 months old male nosy be panther chameleon. He is in my care for 4 months. Awesome :)
  • Handling - Well I don't really want to handle him but when I am near his enclosure he is trying to climb on me so everyday. Chameleons are typically shy lizards, if your chameleon is trying to get out of his enclosure I would recommend looking at his environment, most likely there is something off in the environment he is trying to get away from.
  • Feeding - I feed him with 10 crickets per day. Medium size. Every feeding I use reptiplanet calcium without D3 and every 2 weeks multivitamins with D3. I am gut-loading them with salat and apple. Great job! You can add more feeders to his diet too for variety and I'd recommend adding more to your gut load as well. I'll attach a document with other great staple feeders and other options for gut load.
  • Supplements - I use every feeding reptiplanet calcium without D3 and every 2 weeks reptiplanet multivitamins with D3. Fantastic
  • Watering - I handmist his enclosure. I mist it every morning and evening. Great! I see you have a glass enclosure, do you fog at night or install a dripper during the day to help keep your boy hydrated?
  • Fecal Description - I will attach picture. He hasn't been tested for parasites. I strongly recommend getting him tested for parasites. As @Flick boy suggested, parasites can stunt growth and can also affect their appetite. From what I can see the urate (chameleon pee) looks hydrated which is good, the poops I feel are a little on the small side for a 7-month old.
  • History - I can't think about anything.

Attachments

• Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 18
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Glass enclosure with screened top. Dimensions are 60x45x90cm Unfortunately your enclosure size is quite small for your guy, the minimum recommended size is a 60x60x121 cm, I am wondering if one of the reasons he wants to come out so often is due to this. I am not sure what other options are available to you in Slovokia but if you can find the minimum recommended size or even build something bigger for your guy that is also an option :)
  • Lighting - I use Arcadia 6% 39W. Lightning schedule is 12hours. Perfect!
  • Temperature - Basking temp is between 29-32 degrees celsius. Temp range between floor and middle of the enclosure is 21 to 24 degrees celsius(as he goes higher temp is higher too). 29-32 degrees Celsius is too hot, his basking branch temp should be 26, no more than 29. This could also be a reason for him wanting to get out of his enclosure. Ambient temps should be anywhere from 25-22 degrees celsius. His temps at night should be anywhere from 15-21 degrees.
  • Humidity - I have not buy reliable hygrometer yet. I would recommend getting one as soon as you can. Humidity levels are just as important as temperatures. During the day your boy should have anywhere from 40-50% humidity, and at night ideally 80-100%. You do not want high humidity and high temperatures as this can create respiratory infections. The high humidity at night helps keep your guy hydrated.
  • Plants - Yes I use live plants(Boston fern, Schefflera Arboricola, Ficus Benjamin. Awesome! I would recommend getting more plants, ideally you'll want a 'wall' of plants in the front of the enclosure for your guy to hide behind and feel safe and secure. A good rule of thumb is if you can look in your enclosure and instantly spot your chameleon, you do not have enough coverage. I'll attach a photo of one of my enclosures so you can get an idea of plant coverage needs for your baby. You may also consider getting a plant light which will allow your plants to grow and live longer in the enclosure :)
  • Placement - Next to the fridge. He is at place where we are often moving around. I thing 1,5m. I would strongly recommend moving his enclosure to another place in the house where there is less traffic. For example my enclosures are all in rooms in my basement where there is low traffic, we may walk in the rooms a few times a day but thats really it.
  • Location - Europe, Slovakia.

Current Problem - I don't really see him eating and I don't think he is growing. (my cousins confirmed that). He is trying get out of his enclosure when I am moving around or when I am misting(I don't know if it is problem). Maybe I am too much worried about him.

How do you feed your chameleon? Does he have a feeder run, are the bugs free-range in the enclosure or fed in a cup?

Attachments

• IMG_9038.jpg
    IMG_9038.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 21
I also have a 7 month old panther. Here are a few things that can cause a decrease in appetite:

Shedding / getting ready to shed

Night time humidity too low

Parasite load

Feeders too large

Suggestions:
Remove all bugs before bedtime.

Place feeders in the same area ( example- place 10 crickets in a small feeder cup/run) = lots of movement

Do not free range feed until you are sure he's eating.

Skip a day of feeding. He should have a hearty appetite on the second day.

Leave feeders in cage for 30 minute morning feed. After 30 minutes, remove feeders. You can offer another 30 minute session around noon.

If you have time, you can offer 1 feeder at a time. (Place a cricket on the screen. After its eaten, Place another one on the screen.)- this worked for me. After 1 week, my guy was back to eating from his feeder run.

Back
Top Bottom