I think my Male Veiled Chameleon is Dying?

ashlynzgomez

I found my Male Veiled Chameleon roaming in my backyard and took him in on October 2, 2021. I didn't know and still don't know how old he is but recently his mobility has been slower making it difficult to eat. a few months ago he used to roam from top to bottom in his enclosure but now he just stays on a branch every day. He developed a cyst-looking bump on the middle of his nose bridge but he's had that since last year. Starting two days ago at night he can't support himself on a branch and ends up falling to the floor and ends up sleeping there and he ends up moving once in a while. I knew something was wrong when he started moving at night because there had been times when he slept on the floor but never moved. And today I found him like this on the floor. His tongue is out and you can tell he has no strength at all. And I think at some point he was foaming out of his mouth or out of him from behind because the foam is right behind him. If I don't do something today or sooner I think he is going to die. Please respond I miss my baby. The pictures I have show the bump on his nose and the state he is in now.

Attachments

• IMG_3056.jpeg
    IMG_3056.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3055.jpeg
    IMG_3055.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3054.jpeg
    IMG_3054.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 30
Take him to the ver immediately. The moment they cant even hold on to branches and falling over alot , usually bad . Please take him in asap 🙏🏾

The bump on his nose is likely an infection. There is also something going on with his lower jaw at the front of his mouth (under the nose).

Before I go further, I am NOT a vet,I just have a lot of experience with chameleons and other reptiles. It might be too late for even a good exotics vet to save him now, but I would try to take him if he were mine.

The tongue needs to be kept moist so it won’t become necrotic…but you need to be very careful not to get so much water in his mouth that he can choke.

I’m not sure how old he is…it’s hard to tell with him in that condition.

What supplements have you been using and how often for each? I’m particularly interested in calcium, phos, D3 and the form of vitamin A used. How heavily do you dust the insects?

What UVB light do you use (brand, strength, linear, etc?) and how old is the bulb?

Was his chin like that when you got him?

The answer is yes, he is dying. And there are too many questions and factors to consider right now for a lengthy back and forth discussion. He doesn’t have a lot of time left. If you want to take him to an exotic vet, and have the means, take him now. If not, try to make him comfortable

Back
Top Bottom