blind new born baby veild

blondekiss

Hi all. My eggs have bin hatchin this last month or 2. One was born afew days ago but has not opened his eyes at all. He moves his eyes around but not open. He climbs & walks about the nursery fine but is gettin weak now that hes had nothin to eat at all. It looks like he has skin over the eyes. Sorry i can't put pics up as on my fone & it wont let me. He's so small trying to force feed him would be a nightmare & would stress him out. Wot can i do? Hollie x

You can try bug juice. Pretty much you mix some mashed up feeders with water did your fingers in and hold it up to his face. He might like it. There are many other things they are posted all around this forum try to find more cases like yours on here

I have a vet appointment but not till next week! I'll try him with bug juice, fingers crossed. Thanx, Hollie

Congrats on your eggs hatching.

Force feeding is his only option for survival if his eyelids are fused, or the situation is that he basically has no vision one way or another.

Often times animals like this are terminated, which is referred to as "culling".

This animal would not survive in the wild, according to natural genetic code it is not meant to live or breed.

A vet visit could be a good idea, if you are unsure of the extent of the deformity. I imagine that some deformities may be reversible or correctable through surgery, but I really wouldnt know.

Be very careful giving him water/food/bug juice. Only very small amounts at a time so the animal wont aspirate. I would imagine he would drink water on his own at least once he tasted some though.

Good luck. :)

Hi, can I ask what UVB bulb you are using? I remember reading similar case and it was adviced to use an old uvb bulb, because a new one can be to strong for their eyes.
I don't have experience with babies, but I see no point in terminating his life at this point. If you can find a way to feed him, and if he will do fine besides his eyes, he can still be a great pet for someone with a big heart. :)

Iam using a old 5 tube uvb light. I replaced the dads one and used his old one for the babies. He's so sweet & I want him to live. He's a special lill guy that ill keep if he makes it. The vet cant see him till wednesday, she's away. So need him to be as strong as he can be till then. I have seen him drink water afew times if I put him on a wet leaf. He climbs around with the other babies. Instead of having a slit when chams shut thier eyes he has a star shape on both eyes. I'll have a go at force feeding him again. Thanx peeps

Well I don't know how to help you then, but I'm bumping so maybe someone else will. Please update us with his progress!

I had this happen to me just 2 weeks ago. The baby's eyes would not open, and if you saw through the lids, there was another flap of skin behind the eyelids. It is part of the natural selection process, I would guess. I tried force-feeding her and giving her water through a syringe, but nothing worked. I wish I would not have allowed her to live or suffer for as long as I did... The poor baby was finally terminated due to its inability to move, and its increasing dehydration. If you vet can find a way to save him, and help keep him strong, go for it. But if he (like my baby) refuses to eat or drink, or spits up all food and water, I would recommend the more humane thing. I am sorry that you are experiencing this sort of thing, but congratulations on the other healthy hatchlings!

He has eatin a cricket this morning. I rolled it in a ball, rubbed it on his lips and he opened his mouth BUT hes not looking good :'( just giving him sum water now with a syringe. :(

He has eatin a cricket this morning. I rolled it in a ball, rubbed it on his lips and he opened his mouth BUT hes not looking good :'( just giving him sum water now with a syringe. :(
Thats something, do you have any small worms to offer him?

I've got mini meal worms but none of the babies like them to much. Just fruit flies & crickets they will eat rite now. I mushed some crickets up & added some water to it & he started eating on his own!! But still I don't hold much hope for him. Not giving up yet though, not till he shows me he's had enough

I've got mini meal worms but none of the babies like them to much. Just fruit flies & crickets they will eat rite now. I mushed some crickets up & added some water to it & he started eating on his own!! But still I don't hold much hope for him. Not giving up yet though, not till he shows me he's had enough

Keep working with him and hopefully he will turn around. Sounds like he's a fighter.

Holliex your cham sounds like it wants to live!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep feeding him. My baby veileds eat a lot, and since they're babies, they need a lot. Feed him as much as he'll take, and drip some water down the crest of his head so it dribbles into his lips.

Yeah he is a little fighter! I am already madly in love with the lill dude and will do everything I can for him. Really hope he gets better. He may have no sight but ill be his eyes for as long as he needs them :)

Yeah he is a little fighter! I am already madly in love with the lill dude and will do everything I can for him. Really hope he gets better. He may have no sight but ill be his eyes for as long as he needs them :)
I'm happy you have a heart and patience for him. I hope he will get better!

So he is up n about today, playing with his colours so taking that as a good sign. He's looks lots better. Keep your fingers crossed for him. I've had so many die out of this clutch :mad: they started hatching but got stuck in there eggs. I saved the ones i found in time, checking every hour day & night. Hope he hangs in there. Vets on Wednesday :D

Back
Top Bottom