Help please!!! Veiled Chameleon; won’t open his eyes 😭

sarahjean1511

Heeeelp please!!! I have a veiled chameleon. I bought him as a baby in October. He is our classroom pet (comes home with me on the weekends)
All week he hasn’t been opening his eyes. It seems like something is blocking them. He has just been reaching, and not knowing what is going on. I can hand water him with a syringe but he won’t eat. My poor baby!

Attachments

• IMG_2282.jpeg
    IMG_2282.jpeg
    184.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2260.jpeg
    IMG_2260.jpeg
    214.4 KB · Views: 4
Heeeelp please!!! I have a veiled chameleon. I bought him as a baby in October. He is our classroom pet (comes home with me on the weekends)
All week he hasn’t been opening his eyes. It seems like something is blocking them. He has just been reaching, and not knowing what is going on. I can hand water him with a syringe but he won’t eat. My poor baby!
Hello and welcome! I’m so sorry this is happening for your sweet boy, with how he is tilting his head up I’d say it probably best if you get him to an experienced reptile vet. We have a vet list, would you like us to share it with you?

Howdy! For something like that, you're going to want to take your cham to the vet. Both eyes closed is a major sign of decline, and with the way your baby has nose in the air I'm suspecting a respiratory infection.

I've attached a list of vets folks have seen that have specifically chameleon experience in the US - hopefully you're close to one!

We're also happy to go over your husbandry to try and find a cause to your baby's decline. If you're willing, please fill out the below in a reply and post pictures of your cham's enclosure (including the lights) and pictures of the supplements you're using as well. We're here to help!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A. 4.pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
It seems that @CalamityCrow has posted it above, hopefully you can find a vet near you! I’d also strongly recommend filling out the husbandry form above. Chameleons are pretty complex creatures and there is lots of misinformation on their care, so we would love to help you and your guy with any husbandry issue that may pop up

Back
Top Bottom