Blind chameleon

You may have to get him some outside time then if you can’t get sufficient UVB. Is that something you can do?
Yes, actually i thought about doing it, but i dont know how much time? Or a what time of the day, because i live in a tropical very very sunny area, so maybe in the morning a couole minutes will be fine?

Yes, actually i thought about doing it, but i dont know how much time? Or a what time of the day, because i live in a tropical very very sunny area, so maybe in the morning a couole minutes will be fine?
I’d go with temperatures. If it’s too hot for your boy outside don’t take him out. If you can take him in the mornings to get some direct rays while it’s cooler that would be awesome. I don’t think we know how much UVB chameleons need daily in order to utilize calcium properly but I think if you start with 15 minutes a day that’s a good start. Make sure you hold him while out so a predator didn’t see him and nab him.

I know some of those screw in uvb bulbs can be either really strong or really weak. Let me see if I can figure out which one is which. Still use that bulb because if you can’t get the linear uvb lights than that one is better than nothing.

I can order things, but it will take 2 or 3 weeks to arrive, i would like to try to fix as much as i can now so he wont get worse
Understood. There is some stuff you can fix now for sure so start on that. i know some people in the hobby use the Repashy you have daily but I’m not confident in my knowledge to give any advice on that.

@Beman, when you get a minute can you advise on supplements? They have Repashy LoD but no plain calcium. It can be ordered but it will take 2-3 weeks to get to them. Secondly due to their mailing system the t5ho linear uvb bulbs we use in the United States would not arrive in one piece. What can be done for an alternative option?

So you’ve got a lot of information just now. Start with humidity and temps since that might be the first thing you can adjust. The people I tagged have a lot of knowledge and I’ll be able to fill in the gaps of what I can’t advise you on.

Please also check out the chameleon academy website, there is a lot of helpful information on veiled chameleon care. This is where I get my information.

Let us know what other questions you have and thank you again for helping this little guy out ❤️

Hi and welcome. Looks like you’ve gotten some great advice already. :) Bless you for caring for this poor little guy. For all that you are doing for him, you really should keep him. I am not a vet and have not personally dealt with a situation such as what your chameleon is in, but I will do my best to offer some help.
Although the enclosure he’s currently in is too small for an adult, it is actually ideal while he is sick and recovering. Aside from the correct uvb light (will return to this in a bit), you really need to find some phosphorus free calcium without D3. That needs to be lightly dusted on his insects for every feeding. Using the Repashy calcium plus LoD one feeding every two weeks is perfect. This supplement regimen is for a healthy chameleon. A few years ago, it was thought and said that the Repashy calcium plus LoD could be used for every feeding and many of us tried that. My veiled girl and many other’s chameleons developed edema and my vet advised to use once every two weeks. Some chameleons have tolerated it being used at every feeding, but those usually are panthers and I’m not aware of their full husbandry. Very often the symptoms of too much vitamin D3 are similar to MBD. I would hold the LoD for a couple of weeks and just give the plain calcium. Taking him outside for some natural Vitamin D may also help lower the levels of supplemental D3, but I‘m afraid I don’t recall how that works. There is also preformed vitamin A in the LoD, which is probably also contributing to all.
I’m sorry that your postal delivery is lacking. Perhaps you can find in a local pet store a correct uvb light. While the current standard is a T5HO fixture with either a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb, you could also use a T8 with a 10.0 or 12% uvb bulb, which is older type. Then you can have basking area about 17-22cm below. For basking temp, since you have a pre-adult male, your current temps are just a little bit high. You can have a temp as high as 29c. Do make sure to provide some shaded and cooler areas so he can have some choice. Using live plants will help with that. Pothos is the most common and perhaps the best plant for chameleons. Another that is one of my favorites is schefflera. Make sure the leaves are clean from any chemicals - usually a wash of the leaves with gentle dish soap and a thorough rinse helps. For hydration, you want to mist the plants for about 2 minutes, twice a day - right before lights go on and off. If needed, you could use a dripper for 15-20 minutes too. Very easy to make your own - use a plastic cup or bottle with a pin hole on the bottom. Giving the ReptaBoost is fine and no real need to add insects to it. Like 3 days ago I came across the notes I took that had the ideal amount of ReptaBoost to give one of my chameleons when he was failing…and I tossed it out. :( There are instructions which include how much to feed. It took me a minute to figure it all out - so if you need help with that, just ask. I always gave a little bit of water after too…usually about 0.5 ml or so. I tried not too give too much orally at one time to help with tolerance. I’m not sure about intraperitoneal fluids. I would think it safer to give subcutaneously instead. Since you are a veterinary student, I don’t think I have to tell you, (but I will anyhow) that the airway is in the front of the mouth, so aim for the back of the throat.
The ideal daytime humidity for a veiled chameleon is between 30-50%. If you are having a problem keeping it that low, do make sure to have excellent air flow and preferably a screen enclosure. High heat plus high humidity is a recipe for respiratory infection. At night, if you can achieve temps below at least 20-21c, you can use a fogger or cool mist humidifier and raise humidity all the way up. That simulates the hydration obtained in the wild thru night time fog.
I’m probably repeating much of what has already been said. @kinyonga or @jannb know so very much more than I do and may have some better advice.
I’m very glad that you found your way here. 💗

I just would need to know what fixtures you have access to. If you can get ahold of a T8 linear fixture and a 10.0 or 12% bulb I can tell you how to use this. :)

I just would need to know what fixtures you have access to. If you can get ahold of a T8 linear fixture and a 10.0 or 12% bulb I can tell you how to use this. :)
In Panama there is only one pet store that sells stuff for reptiles, and they dont sell any type of light bulbs, they dont even sell the lamps, so it is impossible to get a linear fixture.

In Panama there is only one pet store that sells stuff for reptiles, and they dont sell any type of light bulbs, they dont even sell the lamps, so it is impossible to get a linear fixture.
Sounds like baby is going to be getting some outside time then :). How is he doing today?

Sounds like baby is going to be getting some outside time then :). How is he doing today?
In the morning i sat with him outside for 10 minutes around 8 am, he was REALLY enjoying it, i thought he was going to freak out amd start walking around but he was very comfy there. I got rid of the fountain, and started using the schecdule you told me, minus de fog, got a couple thermometers and a higrometers, they mark right now 82 F and 55%, here is 7 pm so its dark and kind of cool outside. Got a lot of sticks and branches I saw on the place i work. He opened one eye in the morning for a while but he closed it again and i fed him the liquid food and he ate it alright, aaand i put the cage over a desk so he is sitting higher

In the morning i sat with him outside for 10 minutes around 8 am, he was REALLY enjoying it, i thought he was going to freak out amd start walking around but he was very comfy there. I got rid of the fountain, and started using the schecdule you told me, minus de fog, got a couple thermometers and a higrometers, they mark right now 82 F and 55%, here is 7 pm so its dark and kind of cool outside. Got a lot of sticks and branches I saw on the place i work. He opened one eye in the morning for a while but he closed it again and i fed him the liquid food and he ate it alright, aaand i put the cage over a desk so he is sitting higher
You are amazing!

Is the 82 degrees his basking or temp of enclosure?

I sent the link with the hood so it won't break (hood is the thing that turns the light on)

I sent the link with the hood so it won't break (hood is the thing that turns the light on)
Yes i ordered it with the suplements and the driper, is just that it will take a couple weeks to arrive, so in the mean time i have to work with what i have, thank you very much

82 degrees with lights off or 82 near basking lamp or 82 just ambient

The problem is when the bulb needs to be replaced in 6 months then they can’t order a bulb again due to how their mailing system is. We need a more permanent solution unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom