Advice on lighting please

Ruganut

I am in the process of finishing my new enclosure. Dimensions are 2ft(D) x 4ft(W) x 5ft(H). I have a large Pothos, a very large Ficus and a Rubber plant to go in there. I thought to myself while I'm doing it I will upgrade my lighting too. After doing a lot of reading on the topic, I've decided to go for the Arcadia T5 D3+ lighting. My only real decision left is whether to go for 6% or 12% tubes ?

From what I've read so far, some say 6% tubes are more than adequate and that 12% is too much - others say the opposite, which is sooooo confusing :eek:

Your views on this would be appreciated :)

I can only tell you what I have used with success and that is the Reptisun 5.0 tube style UVB bulb. I will not say anything negative about the others because I have no experience with them. Kammerflage Kreations(a reputable breeder) states on their website to never use a 10.0 cause it emits too high of phosphorus levels. I have emailed the owner as to where this information came from but have yet to hear back from her.

Ok if you have a or can get a solar meter than I would go with the 12% and dumb down the UVB to a safe level. If you do have the equipment to measure the UVB output than go with the 6%. Todd at lightyourreptiles and I have spent many hours on the phone discussing just this. Also if you really want those plants to pop and get some nice light take a look at the jungle dawn LEDs that Todd also has available.
Hope that helps feel free to pm me if you need anything
Hoj

Thanks for the replies.

Hoj, I have been looking at getting a solar meter, but I have to save some more pennies first :p Hopefully I will be getting one next month, but I'm not sure what the 'safe level' reading would be ?

I also had a look at lightyourreptiles and... wow, I just wish there was a place like that in the UK ?!

There are debates as to the level we should be aiming for, But I personally try to get around the 50-60 range on the meter at the closest perch to the light. The uk is pretty well off in the lighting dept as far as I know, I would concider shooting Todd at LYR an email and see if he has any suggestions on where you could start looking over there.

I have spoke directly to the maker of these bulbs and they told me with a mesh cage, using the bulb on the outside the 12% is best as it will give a good gradient of uv throughout the cage. i have been using these bulbs on my animals for 6 months now and they are great and have caused no problems.

The d3 bulb =6%
The d3+ bulb = 12%

If you are on RFUK then you can speak directly to John who works for arcadia. I would go for the 12%. I personally feel 5.0 do not give out enough uv. I have alwyas used either 10.0 t8 or 12% t5 lighting.

Most reptile shops sell them here in the Uk as arcadia is a british company. Id imagine it is alot harder to find them local in the US.

I've always been advised to use the 12% t5 and I do with great success, I do also use the 5% reptisun bulbs. With the t5 tubes there very thin I don't no if it has anything to do with the reason to use 12% but I'd go for them anyways

I've always been advised to use the 12% t5 and I do with great success, I do also use the 5% reptisun bulbs. With the t5 tubes there very thin I don't no if it has anything to do with the reason to use 12% but I'd go for them anyways

T5 simply means how thick the bulb is. The higher the number the thicker the tube. I can honestly say I have had no complaints and have seen my animals with increased activity etc.

Back
Top Bottom