Ordering supplies for new cham

Wondering if this plant is safe to use it is a turtle vine.
20230106_151739.jpg
20230106_151754.jpg

That’s a pretty plant and looks a lot like Tradescantia zebrina, but pale and silvery. From what I can find they are in the same family. I’m not sure how that relates to their safety though. A lot of it depends on how the plants are considered toxic. If it has calcium oxalates only, then it should be ok. I’ll try to remember to look more up later. Gotta get ready for work now.

Well they are toxic if ingested because of calcium oxalate in the leaves. Pothos has this too but is deemed veiled safe. Maybe @Sonny13 or @crosscutts knows more
Ok thank you
That’s a pretty plant and looks a lot like Tradescantia zebrina, but pale and silvery. From what I can find they are in the same family. I’m not sure how that relates to their safety though. A lot of it depends on how the plants are considered toxic. If it has calcium oxalates only, then it should be ok. I’ll try to remember to look more up later. Gotta get ready for work now.
Ok thank you

How confusing! In one thing I find, it says it’s not toxic at all, yet a few paragraphs down it says it is. :rolleyes: I can’t find why it’s toxic other than the sap can irritate skin. I would say to get a tradescantia instead, which are known to be safe.

String of turtle is very fragile plant, the peacock or calathea plant is a good option for shade and visual aesthetic but not very suitable for climbing either but is perfectly safe. I'm not sure what that Amazon vine is I really like using the scientific names to avoid confusing some of the common names of plants that are thrown around and can vary dramatically based on where you are shopping or buying.

Stephanotis is a great flowering vine as well it's a faster growing Hoya essentially.
I'm also fond of the rhaphidophora tetrasperma or mini monstera which is similar to Swiss cheese plant it will climb and provide good climbable growths.

For the palms I would avoid the sago due to the spikey bottom the others would be more suitable for foliage and shade cover /drinking surfaces... The other plant you posted the tradescantia also is on the delicate side and won't allow good climbing they break very easily but are very pleasing to the eye they grow and prop. Quickly

Last edited:
String of turtle is very fragile plant, the peacock or calathea plant is a good option for shade and visual aesthetic but not very suitable for climbing either but is perfectly safe. I'm not sure what that Amazon vine is I really like using the scientific names to avoid confusing some of the common names of plants that are thrown around and can vary dramatically based on where you are shopping or buying.

Stephanotis is a great flowering vine as well it's a faster growing Hoya essentially.
I'm also fond of the rhaphidophora tetrasperma or mini monstera which is similar to Swiss cheese plant it will climb and provide good climbable growths.

For the palms I would avoid the sago due to the spikey bottom the others would be more suitable for foliage and shade cover /drinking surfaces... The other plant you posted the tradescantia also is on the delicate side and won't allow good climbing they break very easily but are very pleasing to the eye they grow and prop. Quickly
Thank you

I love the cute mini parlor palms and I’ve kept them in with my veileds with no problems. Tradescantia has been fine in with my girls and they don’t seem to have been too rough on it. It’s grown out of control in my male veileds enclosure, climbing his back wall. For nice little pops of color, nerve plants come in white, pink and red. They are short plants though. Begonia maculata is pretty cool with it’s polka dots and reddish undersides. If you have a really strong plant light, hibiscus are well appreciated by veileds. They love to eat the flowers and one of my girls ate all of the leaves, leaving just enough for it to regrow. They are prone to pests though.

Some good info has been given already. Here’s another resourceful site about plants https://www.madcham.de/en/pflanzen-fuers-terrarium/ it’s written in English 😊
Can I use a plant out of an enclosure that may have had some kind of parasite my rainbow boa snake died suddenly with no signs of problems and I have a nice big plant I would like to use but Idk if it will be safe since idk why she died. This is the plant in her enclosure. She was in a bioactive setup.
20230107_125512.jpg
20230107_125520.jpg

Can I use a plant out of an enclosure that may have had some kind of parasite my rainbow boa snake died suddenly with no signs of problems and I have a nice big plant I would like to use but Idk if it will be safe since idk why she died. This is the plant in her enclosure. She was in a bioactive setup.View attachment 333572View attachment 333573
It’s pretty plant, but I can only say, ‘better safe then sorry!’ I really won’t risk it to safe a few bucks, but that’s my opinion.

It’s pretty plant, but I can only say, ‘better safe then sorry!’ I really won’t risk it to safe a few bucks, but that’s my opinion.
Ok that's what I thought I was just hoping there was something I could wash it with to save it. Not because of the money just because I really like it. I was told it was a pathos when I bought it but I don't think it is do you happen to know what it is?

Ok that's what I thought I was just hoping there was something I could wash it with to save it. Not because of the money just because I really like it. I was told it was a pathos when I bought it but I don't think it is do you happen to know what it is?
It looks familiar but I don’t know what it’s at the moment, need to google it.

Ok that's what I thought I was just hoping there was something I could wash it with to save it
I’m not saying this ain’t an option, maybe someone has a good solution 👍🏻

I would not risk it personally... You can always pull the plants and wash it in warm water and dawn. Then rinse it extremely well. Then repot to put in your house. It is not a pothos... There are a few plant id apps that you can take a pic of a plant and it tells you want it is. Might try that.

I would not risk it personally... You can always pull the plants and wash it in warm water and dawn. Then rinse it extremely well. Then repot to put in your house. It is not a pothos... There are a few plant id apps that you can take a pic of a plant and it tells you want it is. Might try that.
Ok thank you so I can still keep it as a house plant? I thought some parasites lived for up to 2 yrs so I was scared to do that. I don't want anything around that can hurt Groot.

Ok thank you so I can still keep it as a house plant? I thought some parasites lived for up to 2 yrs so I was scared to do that. I don't want anything around that can hurt Groot.
Entirely up to you. I am a paranoid freak so when I dealt with parasites I tossed every thing porus and the plants.

As long as groot would not be playing on it then you could have it as a house plant... I would just wash the heck out of it first and take it down to the roots to remove all old soil. The oocysts do wash away of course their is always a chance but you do not even know if there was a parasite issue.

So it is a Chinese evergreen
Entirely up to you. I am a paranoid freak so when I dealt with parasites I tossed every thing porus and the plants.

As long as groot would not be playing on it then you could have it as a house plant... I would just wash the heck out of it first and take it down to the roots to remove all old soil. The oocysts do wash away of course their is always a chance but you do not even know if there was a parasite issue.
I think I will just give it to my daughter I will help her wash it really really well and then in a couple years maybe I can get a start from it lol I don't want to take any chances either.

Back
Top Bottom