Ordering supplies for new cham

Shauna_T

Avid Member
Hi ya'll so I am doing a diy enclosure... I am converting an armoire into an enclosure, I will be keeping the back solid the top, ½ the sides and the doors will all be screen. The Inside dimensions are 41.5 x 35.5 x 20.25. I am going to be purchasing the vivosun t5 plant light that the guy from chameleon academy uses in his enclosures so I can just get an arcadia 6% uvb to put in one side like he does but my question is. With my enclosure being an odd size is it ok to buy the 2ft long one since they don't make a 3ft one. I know typically we want the uvb to span the entire length of the enclosure but would this be ok?

Technically I suppose you could use a 24” long fixture or have you thought about using a 48” and have it go corner to corner instead? I suck at math, but believe that should fit nicely. Measure it out to see.
When using one fixture for multiple lights including uvb, you will need to know if each light has it’s own separate reflector or a shared one. That will determine the strength of your uvb. With a shared reflector, the uvb gets more scattered so you’ll want to use a stronger uvb, such as 12%. If you chose to do your lighting differently, Arcadia does have a 36” Pro T5.
https://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-pro-t5-fixture-6-bulb-35-sale/

Hey there. With the top are you removing the entire thing or creating an edge frame for your fixture to rest on? Vivosun fixtures have some weight to them. So you want them to sit on the frame not straight on the screen. So this will help when it comes to which fixture your picking as well.

So with the fixtures. The fixture length for a 3 foot is 36 inches. The bulbs are 2 inches shorter so 34inches. So then a 48 inch fixture would have 46 inch bulbs. So if cage width is 41 with a 48 inch fixture centered your going to have a 5 inch over hang 2.5inch on each side with the bulb portion. 3.5 inch each side total fixture. This is where it matters for your cage size... Your 41inch with a 36 inch fixture means 34 inches of light. so you have 7 inches of an area where you do not get light. To me this is more area left uncovered than I would prefer.

I ran into this with my cage. It is a 30 inch wide. I chose to go with the 36 inch fixtures. I have them centered so that my total overhang is 3 inches on each side with 2 inches being the bulb. I would have lost far too much light putting a 24 inch fixture on with 22 inch bulbs.

This fixture does have separate reflectors so you want the 6% bulb and you want to place that in the position most middle of the cage. Typically people will pull a vivosun to the front of a cage with about a 2 inch gap in the front of it to create a vent space on top. Then have basking in the back corner. So Uvb would be closest to basking.

Hey there. With the top are you removing the entire thing or creating an edge frame for your fixture to rest on? Vivosun fixtures have some weight to them. So you want them to sit on the frame not straight on the screen. So this will help when it comes to which fixture your picking as well.

So with the fixtures. The fixture length for a 3 foot is 36 inches. The bulbs are 2 inches shorter so 34inches. So then a 48 inch fixture would have 46 inch bulbs. So if cage width is 41 with a 48 inch fixture centered your going to have a 5 inch over hang 2.5inch on each side with the bulb portion. 3.5 inch each side total fixture. This is where it matters for your cage size... Your 41inch with a 36 inch fixture means 34 inches of light. so you have 7 inches of an area where you do not get light. To me this is more area left uncovered than I would prefer.

I ran into this with my cage. It is a 30 inch wide. I chose to go with the 36 inch fixtures. I have them centered so that my total overhang is 3 inches on each side with 2 inches being the bulb. I would have lost far too much light putting a 24 inch fixture on with 22 inch bulbs.

This fixture does have separate reflectors so you want the 6% bulb and you want to place that in the position most middle of the cage. Typically people will pull a vivosun to the front of a cage with about a 2 inch gap in the front of it to create a vent space on top. Then have basking in the back corner. So Uvb would be closest to basking.
Hi I will just be cutting the hole in the top to match the inside dimensions so there will be a frame for it to sit on. I did intend to put it in the middle of the top with the basking bulb next to it would this be correct? Also I am looking for plants and found some plants that are grown organically but they use natural insecticide on them can this be washed off with soap and water or should I steer clear of them?

Hi I will just be cutting the hole in the top to match the inside dimensions so there will be a frame for it to sit on. I did intend to put it in the middle of the top with the basking bulb next to it would this be correct? Also I am looking for plants and found some plants that are grown organically but they use natural insecticide on them can this be washed off with soap and water or should I steer clear of them?
It is up to you in the end. But if it were me I would do the 48 inch fixture. You want to hook in your basking fixture and angle it towards the uvb branch. I use these and then drill holes into the mounting plate and screw them into the cage. https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ho...ocphy=9030289&hvtargid=pla-503073396232&psc=1

Keep in mind with that quad it is a full 13 inches deep. So it will take up a ton of room on the top. and with your cage only being 20 inches deep this is not going to leave much area for your basking fixture to be open to screen. The Dual vivosun is only 8 inches deep.

Attachments

• basking hooked in1.JPG
    basking hooked in1.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 59
  • basking hooked in3.JPG
    basking hooked in3.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 62
It is up to you in the end. But if it were me I would do the 48 inch fixture. You want to hook in your basking fixture and angle it towards the uvb branch. I use these and then drill holes into the mounting plate and screw them into the cage. https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Ho...ocphy=9030289&hvtargid=pla-503073396232&psc=1

Keep in mind with that quad it is a full 13 inches deep. So it will take up a ton of room on the top. and with your cage only being 20 inches deep this is not going to leave much area for your basking fixture to be open to screen. The Dual vivosun is only 8 inches deep.
Would the dual be enough light for all the plants I plan on having a ton of them lol. And I'm guessing it was a yes I can wash off natural insecticide. 😉

I know I just talked about this but I was thinking about it and wanted to make sure I am thinking correctly I was going to make sure the uvb was in the middle maybe a little closer to the back is that what I want?

I know I just talked about this but I was thinking about it and wanted to make sure I am thinking correctly I was going to make sure the uvb was in the middle maybe a little closer to the back is that what I want?
Middle of fixture no... Middle of cage yes... You want it to line up with where your heat is aimed. This is why it is great if you can direct your heat fixture. So the position of the uvb bulb would be the farthest from you.

Would the dual be enough light for all the plants I plan on having a ton of them lol. And I'm guessing it was a yes I can wash off natural insecticide. 😉
Even the quad will have issues putting out the right wavelength for some plants. Anything that is flowering needs a different wavelength than a 6500k daylight bulb puts out. You would be better off going with the dual and then adding a jungle dawn led bar to give flowering plants what they need. Also makes other plants grow better.

Example: I run 3 T5 fixtures and a jungle dawn led bar. So 1 uvb and 2 6500k bulbs along with the Jungle dawn. I could not get my hibiscus to flower until I added the LED bar.

Middle of fixture no... Middle of cage yes... You want it to line up with where your heat is aimed. This is why it is great if you can direct your heat fixture. So the position of the uvb bulb would be the farthest from you.
Ok perfect thank you that's what I was thinking.

I buy all my plants from Home depot... I do not fuss with the expensive ones that are organically grown. In the 4 years I have had Beman I have never had an issue and he eats his plants.

I strip the roots down and replant in organic soil. I rinse the leaves really well and that is it.

Even the quad will have issues putting out the right wavelength for some plants. Anything that is flowering needs a different wavelength than a 6500k daylight bulb puts out. You would be better off going with the dual and then adding a jungle dawn led bar to give flowering plants what they need. Also makes other plants grow better.

Example: I run 3 T5 fixtures and a jungle dawn led bar. So 1 uvb and 2 6500k bulbs along with the Jungle dawn. I could not get my hibiscus to flower until I added the LED bar.
Ok perfect this is what I will do thank you

So I just looked and the vivosun doesn't come in a 4' with 2 bulbs would I be ok if I only used the jungle dawn?

What brand fixtures do you use?

Ok perfect this is what I will do thank you

So I just looked and the vivosun doesn't come in a 4' with 2 bulbs would I be ok if I only used the jungle dawn?

What brand fixtures do you use?
I run individual 36 inch T5 fixtures... Easier and cheaper for me to replace a single t5 than an entire quad if something goes wrong with it. I use the vivarium electronics fixtures and then I am able to hook in each one to its own smart plug and have a more gradual lights on and lights off effect. THese ones https://www.pangeareptile.com/colle...s/t5-uvb-light-fixture?variant=26907858632804

They come with daylight bulbs. So I just buy the Jungle dawn as well and then a 6% arcadia bulb. They come in 36 and 48 inch as well.

You could do the arcadia prot5 and the jungle dawn too https://www.pangeareptile.com/produ...vb-bulb-with-hood?_pos=1&_sid=c11e90b92&_ss=r
I believe the longest Jungle dawn led bar is the 34 inch one. But they have their prot5 in a 36 or 48 inch.

What I like about using these individuals is the fact that they take up far less room on the top of my cage and are much lighter than the Dual or quad units. But your probably going to have to hunt for the Jungle dawn and Prot5 these have been harder to get in the states.

So I found these plants that I think I can use for my cham can someone let me know if they are ok. They are not on the pictures of the safe plants for chameleons so I want to double check before doing any purchases. I have attached pictures of the names and the plants.
20221220_151945.jpg
20221220_152009.jpg
20221220_152014.jpg
20221220_152040.jpg
20221220_152102.jpg
20221220_152106.jpg
20221220_152125.jpg
20221220_152131.jpg

Attachments

• 20221220_152034.jpg
    20221220_152034.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221220_151939.jpg
    20221220_151939.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 48
I have 2 more one of them I forgot to take a picture of the plant but I can do so tomorrow if needed as I am going back to the nursery to talk to one of the employees about their
20221220_144849.jpg
20221220_152154.jpg
20221220_152158.jpg
plants.

The first four are all dracanae, and all dracanae are safe. The next is schefflera, which is safe. I would avoid the bougainvillea as not only have I not seen it on any safe lists, but the thorns they have are wicked. I could have sworn I’ve seen the fiddle leaf fig/ ficus lyrata on a safe list but am not finding that now, so have to say to avoid.

Back
Top Bottom