Herbie’s Sky Walk

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I installed curtain rod hangars 5” down from the ceiling and looped a black rope into Herbie’s enclosure. It took all of 5 minutes before he explored the new exercise loop. He made it a few feet and got a little worried, because the rope wasn’t taught or wide enough. Cham dad fail. Anyway I’m ordering 3/4” OD solid and natural rubber rope to give this another try. He should get excellent grip on the wider rubber rope and I won’t be so scared of him getting a nail caught. I hope to have a 6’ ficus tree next week for a little free range opposite his enclosure.

Side note: I also got a smart light switch which links to my Apple Home Kit. So now Herbie’s basement lights are on a timer too. Never again do I have to worry if he’s sleeping with 10 high hat lights blasting all night! The kids have left them on before.

My buddy is now 12” long.

Attachments

• IMG_6009.jpeg
    IMG_6009.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6008.jpeg
    IMG_6008.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6007.jpeg
    IMG_6007.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6020.jpeg
    IMG_6020.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6018.jpeg
    IMG_6018.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6019.jpeg
    IMG_6019.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Oh my gosh I love this idea! I may steal this and create a similar version for my reptile room :). I love all your creative ideas you share on here. Thanks for always sharing!

Oh my gosh I love this idea! I may steal this and create a similar version for my reptile room :). I love all your creative ideas you share on here. Thanks for always sharing!
I’ve taken way more ideas than I’ve contributed on these forums. But I try to pitch in when and where I can!

Glad you’re moving away from this rope. I have seen in threads where these can rip out nails.
I’m so impatient. The rubber rope comes on Wednesday so I bought this nylon rope from Home Depot for a dry run. Then Bert climbed right out and confirmed it has to be rigid or he won’t use it. PVC pipe would be excellent but it’s too smooth and slippery. I could always sand it. Hmmmm. The rubber seems like the best bet.

I’m so impatient. The rubber rope comes on Wednesday so I bought this nylon rope from Home Depot for a dry run. Then Bert climbed right out and confirmed it has to be rigid or he won’t use it. PVC pipe would be excellent but it’s too smooth and slippery. I could always sand it. Hmmmm. The rubber seems like the best bet.
Avoid pvc... I have seen some bad stuff with that being used. From falls to damage to the feet from roughing up the surface.

I can't find the image I saved. But my dream is to have one of the Tamura Designs walls they do. They do them with clear plastic mounting pieces for the wall and beautiful branches. Then there is a backdrop that you can put up that looks like the jungle. They are really cool. Eventually when I own a home lol.

Why not use real branches since you have a curtain rod holder where you can attach a branch.

I am planning on doing a free range walkway for Picasso using real branches but the boss (wife) didn’t approve.

Avoid pvc... I have seen some bad stuff with that being used. From falls to damage to the feet from roughing up the surface.

I can't find the image I saved. But my dream is to have one of the Tamura Designs walls they do. They do them with clear plastic mounting pieces for the wall and beautiful branches. Then there is a backdrop that you can put up that looks like the jungle. They are really cool. Eventually when I own a home lol.
I saw silver hangars but considered whether the shininess would scare him off. Clear would be excellent. Very discrete. But the ones I found wouldn’t hold the rope or branch out far enough from the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_6021.jpeg
    IMG_6021.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 14
Why not use real branches since you have a curtain rod holder where you can attach a branch.

I am planning on doing a free range walkway for Picasso using real branches but the boss (wife) didn’t approve.
I think you’re right. Real branches may be the winner! I was hoping for something aesthetic and discrete. This is definitely not the final form.

Like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.09.55 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-06 at 12.09.55 PM.png
    343.6 KB · Views: 17
Oooo 👀 what I bought!!!!
How’s this for textured rubber?!?!

Attachments

• IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6027.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 17
This stuff is wonderful! It’s really tough, textured, real rubber. Nothing like those flexible ExoTerra vines that have that brown flakey dirt dust stuck to them.

Both ends of this 50’ hose were threaded like a garden hose (because it is one lol) so I cut one end off to get the length I needed. With the extra hose I cut a detachable rope ladder for Bert to get up onto his sky walk. I’ll remove this piece when it’s not in use. Easy peasy.

Also, now that it’s hard rubber instead of rope, I could tighten the curtain rod hangar set screws so the hose won’t wiggle/budge while Bert walks on it. Super tight.

I can’t wait to pick up my tree!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_6036.jpeg
    IMG_6036.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6035.jpeg
    IMG_6035.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6034.jpeg
    IMG_6034.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6033.jpeg
    IMG_6033.jpeg
    43.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    78.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6030.jpeg
    IMG_6030.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6029.jpeg
    IMG_6029.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
It’s a beautiful in-wall enclosure
It's actually a free range set up for out of the cage time. I would love to have one wall of my office be this. Have some huge plants incorporated into it. And then another wall be cham cages. I suppose I need my office desk too lol. But then you can let them out for out of the cage time.

I got a hiss while trying to guide him back into the enclosure. He had a lot of emotions on his short walk. Next time I’ll try to be out of sight

Attachments

• IMG_6062.jpeg
    IMG_6062.jpeg
    113.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6057.jpeg
    IMG_6057.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6056.jpeg
    IMG_6056.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6052.jpeg
    IMG_6052.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6044.jpeg
    IMG_6044.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 14
It's actually a free range set up for out of the cage time. I would love to have one wall of my office be this. Have some huge plants incorporated into it. And then another wall be cham cages. I suppose I need my office desk too lol. But then you can let them out for out of the cage time.
Wow those are branches attached to a wall with an illuminated, framed jungle poster as the back drop? So cool! I think the lights are concealed in the top of the frame.

Last edited:
I installed curtain rod hangars 5” down from the ceiling and looped a black rope into Herbie’s enclosure. It took all of 5 minutes before he explored the new exercise loop. He made it a few feet and got a little worried, because the rope wasn’t taught or wide enough. Cham dad fail. Anyway I’m ordering 3/4” OD solid and natural rubber rope to give this another try. He should get excellent grip on the wider rubber rope and I won’t be so scared of him getting a nail caught. I hope to have a 6’ ficus tree next week for a little free range opposite his enclosure.

Side note: I also got a smart light switch which links to my Apple Home Kit. So now Herbie’s basement lights are on a timer too. Never again do I have to worry if he’s sleeping with 10 high hat lights blasting all night! The kids have left them on before.

My buddy is now 12” long.
What I use is a soakerhose which I feed a doubled 16 gauge flexible metal wire inside. So it get firmer, but still remains flexible. I then ziptie branches onto it. I also added some fake ivy vine underneath it, cut they don't like to step on the fake leaves.
U can get the soakerhose in different thickness, I got both a thinner one for the youngsters and thicker for adults, but they can easily balance on either one.
Chams LOVE to be on the track. Sometimes one sleeps up there overnight, lol.

Back
Top Bottom