Adopting female in 2 days.. Need advice

MissMeela

Established Member
I'm adopting a 2 yr old female veiled chameleon in 2 days.. need some advice. She comes with everything from her enclosure to extra crickets and supplements. I own a 2 yr old male veiled and just curious if anyone has advice about owning a female veiled chameleon. I'm aware of the egg-binding issues and the fact that they lay infertile eggs regardless.. just need to know any extra tips anyone can give me to ensure her health and proper care! Please and thank you!

When you have a female veiled be careful not to overfeed her. Constant overfeeding usually leads to MBD, impaction, reproductive issues.I also keep the basking area in the low 80'sF to slow her metabolism slightly.
Make sure you supplement her properly and provide a suitable egglaying container in her cage. An opaque container at least 12" deep x12" x 8" filled with moist washed playsand. If she sees the male she could go in to reproduction too BTW.

Where are you adopting her from? Any pictures?
A lady from work asked me today about adopting her bcuz it was her mom's and she just passed away, so she needs to find good home and she thought of me bcuz I already have "lizards"... No pictures. I'm told she has been well taken care of..!?

When you have a female veiled be careful not to overfeed her. Constant overfeeding usually leads to MBD, impaction, reproductive issues.I also keep the basking area in the low 80'sF to slow her metabolism slightly.
Make sure you supplement her properly and provide a suitable egglaying container in her cage. An opaque container at least 12" deep x12" x 8" filled with moist washed playsand. If she sees the male she could go in to reproduction too BTW.
Ok, I'm worried about this whole "egg impaction" issue... That's why I ended up getting a male originally. But I've been wanting to breed him bcuz he's Obviously ready for a mate, as he tries to hump my arm any time I take him out of his enclosure. And this adoption came up and I feel as though I should at least take her for now to ensure she is taken care of properly. So if there's room in her cage, I can keep a "nesting" box at all times!? Or should I only put one in if I think she's becoming restless??

I always leave the egglaying bins in at all times so the sometimes subtle indications that the female needs to lay aren't missed.

I always leave the egglaying bins in at all times so the sometimes subtle indications that the female needs to lay aren't missed.
Great! Thank you! I was thinking of doing this just in case!

One more question.. Does it REALLY matter about the type of UVB bulb?? I feel like a bad "reptile mom" asking, bcuz I'm sure the spendier the better, but I have 2 Sulcata tortoises, 1 Russian tortoise, 1 veiled Chameleon and a bearded dragon.. so, as you can imagine, I have many sets of light bulbs. My question is, are the "coil" uvb really that bad..? .. or should I most definitely get the Tube uvb bulbs?

Great! Thank you! I was thinking of doing this just in case!

One more question.. Does it REALLY matter about the type of UVB bulb?? I feel like a bad "reptile mom" asking, bcuz I'm sure the spendier the better, but I have 2 Sulcata tortoises, 1 Russian tortoise, 1 veiled Chameleon and a bearded dragon.. so, as you can imagine, I have many sets of light bulbs. My question is, are the "coil" uvb really that bad..? .. or should I most definitely get the Tube uvb bulbs?
Coil UVB bulbs have less of an exposure area. Linear UVB bulbs can expose multiple areas, and are better for your cham to get the amount of UVB that they need.

Like CJ's Exotics said...long linear tubes give a longer/bigger area of exposure. Also I think the comopacts are harder on their eyes...at least it seems that way from all the eye issues I read about.

So I now am the new proud momma of "Delilah"
20171112_191135.jpg

Back
Top Bottom