Long time stalker, first time poster šŸ˜‚

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen 16x16x30. I know Iā€™ll have to get her a bigger one so my dad is going to help me make one when he gets back from his work trip. Question- how long do you think I have to get the bigger one ready for her? She will be near to her full size in just a few months and will definitely need larger by then. The minimum standard is 2x2x4ā€™ or equivalent. If you have the space, definitely think about giving her larger than that.
  • Lighting - okay so the kit came with this: https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...Z-PseEO_mpT5J_y6TUsaAt4PEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds.
I only use the heat portion of the lamp but took the uvb bulb out. I replaced uvb with this: https://a.co/d/bc5zC2y Good job! However, when you upgrade her to a larger enclosure, youā€™ll be needing a longer light. I did the same thing when I started out. Iā€™ve found good use since for my short uvb. You want your uvb long enough to be able to span the width of the enclosure. Since you have a little one, I advise raising your lights at least a few inches off the screen top. Little ones enjoy walking upside down along the screen top which places them at high risk for burns.
You donā€™t say what schedule your lights are on/off. A 12 hour schedule is best and using a timer is even better. No lights on at night.

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? I think I over estimated in my OP because I think the highest it gets is 76. Usually between 70-76 during the day, Basking temps for little ones and girls is around 78-80 lowest 58 at night (I have a thermometer in there
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Between 30-50. If it drops below 30, I put humidifier in and mist for like 30 seconds to get it back up (itā€™s super dry jn AZ). The best ways to maintain humidity is to wrap the back and at least one side with something like a shower curtain or insulating window film and have lots of safe live plants. No humidifier during the day as I already covered. I also advise to get a better thermometer and hygrometer than the one that came with the kit. Those are horribly wrong. Usually a digital one with a probe end is good. Thereā€™s also ā€˜smartā€™ ones like Govee and others that some members use and like.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have a pothos and a dracaena in there. There is one fake plant that I plan on replacing soon. You can hang the fake plant on the outside to give her more privacy. Pothos is awesome and always a favorite. You can add more pothos or try a variety of plants. https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ I do suggest always having a couple of extra plants on hand. You want to create a forest edge type area with lots of foliage to take shade under and hide in and a nice little clearing to bask in. You also need to add lots more branches of varied diameters and vines for her to travel on. It can be a challenge to hang things as you donā€™t want to use the screen - it will rip. You need to use the frame of the enclosure to carry the weight of things by using Dragon Ledges https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ making a scaffolding from branches which is secured to the frame, or Iā€™ve found garden trellis is quite nice. I had done bare bottom at first but then someone told me to add soil and mossā€¦ so I did that, but itā€™s hard to clean so I think Iā€™m going to take it out and go back to bare this weekend- any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Bare floor is best and easiest to keep clean. No moss anywhere! Itā€™s a high risk item for bowel obstruction. Later, as you become more experienced, you may want to try bioactive, but for now letā€™s stick with bare floor. :)
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
On top of an electric fire place (itā€™s Arizonaā€¦ I donā€™t actually use it, itā€™s more for aesthetics lol). Low traffic took about four feet off the floor, second story of the house (not that she knows that lol). No fans or vents nearby Ok. Just keep in mind as you upgrade and all that height is safety for chameleons.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Arizona šŸ„µ Florida šŸ„µšŸœšŸŖ³šŸ•·ļø

Current Problem - egglaying. How soon do I have to start worrying about that and what should I do in regards to a bin? At her current estimated age of 3 months, you have at least 2-3 months before you need to start worrying. When she starts developing her big girl colors is when itā€™s time to get your lay bin in her enclosure. This should help you quite a bit. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/
By the way, your little girl is just adorable! šŸ¤—
Hereā€™s some pics of some of my past enclosures to give you an idea of set up.
View attachment 353910View attachment 353911
Ahhh thank you SO much for all of this insight! Also so jealous of your gorgeous enclosures!

I am up in Flagstaff. You will find with our weather and lack of humidity that going with a hybrid style cage will be more beneficial. Being in Tucson I am sure you have air conditioning which will be good since you will need to control your ambient temps. But with air conditioning you lose humidity so with a hybrid style cage and all live plants and the right misting routine you can pull that ambient humidity up to 30-40's for daytime. With screen you will not be able to achieve this. I would recommend two things... Right now while she is in the baby cage you will get duct window film. You will put this on the outside of the cage door panel, sides, and back. Leaving the top panel of the cage screen and the front bottom service door panel screen. This is going to then give the chimney effect pulling air from that bottom service door up through the cage and out the top. So air circulation will be good. For her adult cage I would recommend going with either Tamura designs or Dragon strand Hybrid cages. Both of these are great options. I have dragon strand and it works perfectly.

Alright what do you guys think? Itā€™s a work in process, but made some adjustments so far šŸ˜‚. Took out the moss and soil, added more branches and climbing stuff. Added the feeder station. Ordered new humidity and temp gauges, theyā€™re just not here yet.

I have more branches and stuff to add but I was worried about stressing her out too much so decided to add the other two tomorrow.

Alsoā€¦ what do we think about the wood climby thing at the bottom? The mamabear in me is worried about whether thatā€™s a risk in terms of if she ever falls or not.

I know the dreaded fake plant is still there but she was hiding out in that while I cleaned the soil and stuff out so didnā€™t want to traumatize her and leave her with nowhere to hang out.

The blue tape on the side is because my husband had a ā€œgreat idea!ā€ that ended up leaving a hole in the screen šŸ˜³šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Alright what do you guys think? Itā€™s a work in process, but made some adjustments so far šŸ˜‚. Took out the moss and soil, added more branches and climbing stuff. Added the feeder station. Ordered new humidity and temp gauges, theyā€™re just not here yet.

I have more branches and stuff to add but I was worried about stressing her out too much so decided to add the other two tomorrow.

Alsoā€¦ what do we think about the wood climby thing at the bottom? The mamabear in me is worried about whether thatā€™s a risk in terms of if she ever falls or not.

I know the dreaded fake plant is still there but she was hiding out in that while I cleaned the soil and stuff out so didnā€™t want to traumatize her and leave her with nowhere to hang out.

The blue tape on the side is because my husband had a ā€œgreat idea!ā€ that ended up leaving a hole in the screen šŸ˜³šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
Okay I cant get the pictures to not disappear when I post! It keeps saying the image is too large. Iā€™ll try again in the morning šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

IMG_7747.jpeg

Been there done that with the broken screen. There is screen repair stuff you can buy at home improvement stores if you want to try that.

I love the updates so far! Itā€™s coming along nicely! Something I would suggest is maybe moving the plants to the front of the enclosure so she can hide behind them :)

Been there done that with the broken screen. There is screen repair stuff you can buy at home improvement stores if you want to try that.

I love the updates so far! Itā€™s coming along nicely! Something I would suggest is maybe moving the plants to the front of the enclosure so she can hide behind them :)
Ooh thatā€™s a really good idea! Thank you!!! I definitely want to get a couple more plants to add in as well, maybe a money tree or something thatā€™s taller and can provide some more cover

F
Ooh thatā€™s a really good idea! Thank you!!! I definitely want to get a couple more plants to add in as well, maybe a money tree or something thatā€™s taller and can provide some more cover
Fiscus Benjamina and Schifflara are both really good. Iā€™m sure I spelled both wrongā€¦..

You can remove that piece of wood on the bottom. Besides it not really serving much function, it looks to be grape wood which like to get moldy when kept moist.
Tape is one of the no noā€™s with chameleons. Somehow it eventually finds itā€™s way to being stuck on them and can cause serious damage to their scales when removed. Depending on the size of the hole and it the screen material is still present, Iā€™ve found hot glue to be an effective way to mend holes. It doesnā€™t look terribly pretty, but it works and is safe.
One cool feature about pothos is if you keep the plant low and have the vines grow upwards, the leaves grow larger. Of course it takes time to grow, but that can be one way to provide a good amount of foliage. Iā€™m always starting fresh pothos from clippings so I have extra for when my veiled lady devours all her leaves (plus I suck at remembering to water).

Back
Top Bottom