Additional heat source?

stalincat

I took Rupert to the vet today, she said he looks fab and everything is great, but suggested additional heat source for the night for him. Is it really necessary? Just wanting to make sure. If it is, I'll have to arrange it I suppose.
The night temp drops to high 60s, she suggest a minimum of 75.
Thanks!

according to the caresheet on panthers on the new chameleon care resources, as long as the temp doesnt drop below 50 degrees, no additional heat source is needed :)

They say they can take a drop to low 50s. I turned of my ceramic last week which kicks in when temps drop to 65-68 approx. since last week Popeye hasn't been moving about as much so I think I'm going to turn it on again. He will still get a drop of 10 degrees. I think 75 is ok but others may differ.

That advice from your vet would cause me concern about the qualifications of the vet to treat chameleons. What she told you is not true. A night time temperature drop is good for their metabolism.

Glad to hear Rupert is doing well! I personally wouldn't add the heater. I think your nighttime temps are fine. You are only talking a few degrees difference and as long as your daytime temps are where they need to be I wouldn't worry. That overnight temp suggested is more like the lower end of your daytime range. Again, I would want more of a drop overnight. ;)

I took Rupert to the vet today, she said he looks fab and everything is great, but suggested additional heat source for the night for him. Is it really necessary? Just wanting to make sure. If it is, I'll have to arrange it I suppose.
The night temp drops to high 60s, she suggest a minimum of 75.
Thanks!

Sorry, your vet needs to learn a lot more about chams. It would also make me question her other comments (but I'd think you are already doing things right and your cham is great, because you've been on the forum for some time!).

Thanks everyone! I also think he is fine like that.

She wasn't my usual vet, bu generally I have no issues with the clinic. They treated both Ripley and Bishop who are absolutely fab now

Sounds like you have been doing it correctly all along. Sometimes we know our chams and what is best for them, when you have doubts it is good to ask, but isn't it nice to know you were doing right by your cham?:D

according to the caresheet on panthers on the new chameleon care resources, as long as the temp doesnt drop below 50 degrees, no additional heat source is needed :)

where can i find this care sheet? i'd love to give it a look over please...
thanks lisa

yes on the forum homepage it shows up underneath the user cp box in the right hand corner, it says chameleon care start here with a hand pointing to the right and you click on it. the link i posted should take you directly to the caresheet too :)

yes on the forum homepage it shows up underneath the user cp box in the right hand corner, it says chameleon care start here with a hand pointing to the right and you click on it. the link i posted should take you directly to the caresheet too :)

I printed it off when it first appeared but its gone now. Can't find it on iPad. Any suggestions? It was very good.:)

Oops sorry found it thank you.

Ahhhh, you mean this box... :)

utynu8yr.jpg

If it had been a snake.... Well you know!!!

That's awesome, great info!!! i just didnt know it was there... :(
Thanks soooo much!!!!!

yes haha i know what you mean, its so easy to miss things you see every day :D i do it all the time!!
i know i love it everyone who worked on it did an amazing job, its just simply fabulous :)
you're very welcome!!!

Back
Top Bottom