Skin issue help - burn? Fungal infection? Or just bruising?

annefirth12

Established Member
Hello all,

Today I noticed that my veiled, Rosie, has these light discolorations with black spots on her one side. There are also little blister-like areas of her shed - she just started shedding recently - but they’re dry. The discoloration and spots are not raised.

I’m concerned that it is a burn or a fungal infection, and I’m hoping it’s a bruise from her rubbing on branches while shedding.

She’s had some health issues before - two eye issues which were flushed and treated with antibiotics, and a respiratory infection and parasites when we first got her that were also treated. She’s about ~3 years old now, and she lives in a 2x2x4 reptibreeze with live plants and a T5 22” 6%. Her basking temps stay around 80 degrees, and ambient is around 60-65. Humidity during the day is variable, but right now is probably around 30-35%, and at night we aim for 90-100% humidity with a temperature drop below 65. I can add more info about her diet and such if necessary.

I’m very stressed about the idea that it might be a fungal infection, particularly CANV. If it does turn out to be fungal, what’s the best course of action? Our exotic vet is pretty good but I’d like to be able to suggest the current best treatment/testing in case they’re not up and up on it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 4ABFA8B1-E7D8-41C0-815A-A7AAECBFA126.jpeg
    4ABFA8B1-E7D8-41C0-815A-A7AAECBFA126.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 13
  • F989EC2C-8660-49EA-B32A-231F7B8F1745.jpeg
    F989EC2C-8660-49EA-B32A-231F7B8F1745.jpeg
    196.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 443B1D35-640A-4237-97DA-467EF4B18013.jpeg
    443B1D35-640A-4237-97DA-467EF4B18013.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 500FBE04-C8DD-4C53-A393-68DA13A0C24A.jpeg
    500FBE04-C8DD-4C53-A393-68DA13A0C24A.jpeg
    234.3 KB · Views: 14
Looks like some kind of trauma spots. My girl had similar ones due to some plastic plants in her enclosure poking her. Maybe there is something in her enclosure that is doing the same?

Looks like some kind of trauma spots. My girl had similar ones due to some plastic plants in her enclosure poking her. Maybe there is something in her enclosure that is doing the same?
We don’t have any plastic plants - would rubbing to get rid of shed do it? She’s a bit violent about it lol

Looks like a shed in progress and missy rubbed hard on a branch or something else in your enclosure. She will be OK.

i have seen similar spots on my chams. Not much lately because I cut any sharp edges off branches and trim all the zip ties really low.

Make sure you watch your humidity and don’t spray her directly until she finishes that shed. Give her hydration via horn worms and silk worms instead of heavy spraying.

Doctor Tony’s orders.

(And no his arm isn’t hurt. He was born with that pigment.)

Attachments

• IMG_7667.jpeg
    IMG_7667.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Looks like a shed in progress and missy rubbed hard on a branch or something else in your enclosure. She will be OK.

i have seen similar spots on my chams. Not much lately because I cut any sharp edges off branches and trim all the zip ties really low.

Make sure you watch your humidity and don’t spray her directly until she finishes that shed. Give her hydration via horn worms and silk worms instead of heavy spraying.

Doctor Tony’s orders
Gotcha. She already gets hornworms so I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you!

Doctor Tony’s orders.

(And no his arm isn’t hurt. He was born with that pigment.)
Also, what a lovely translucent Cham! I love his little socks.

I am in agreement. Possibly rubbing against something or even cricket bites. Will heal on its own. Not a burn! Thank god. Sometimes when mine are really agitated during a molt, i wash my hands and dry them then rub quick and gentle to help alliviate discomfort. cham seems to like it so i see no harm in it.

If it is CANV, the usual treatment is an anti fungal medicine such as itraconozole. Using a cream on the surface won’t work for CANV.
You’ll need a vet to tell you if that’s what it is though.

Back
Top Bottom