Zoo Med Dropping T12 UVB Lamps.

To make things simple I have copied the post I made for the UV meter owners club to this thread:

Two weeks ago I purchased a pair of Zoo Med Reptisun 48" T12 10.0 UVB lamps. Using Dave Weldon's 6.2 Solarmeter, I took readings on the lamps to get an idea of what a new lamp's output would be. I installed the first lamp to test, the readings were weak. I didn't really know what I should be seeing but from hearing numbers from other people I concluded something wasn't right. I compared the readings to an old 5.0 lamp, not far off. So, I installed the second lamp I had purchased to take some readings, hoping for something better. After installing the lamp and switching on the light the lamp fizzled and went dark.

I called Zoo Med because I was concerned about the output and the one lamp crapped out. I knew I could have a bonk lamp, but also thought they might want to hear about my experience in case other people have been reporting low output lamps. Last Monday I called and spoke with someone named Ashley. She said to ship the lamps in and she would send out new lamps to me right away. When the lamps showed up I was surprised to find T8 lamps instead of what I had sent, T12 lamps. I played phone tag with Ashley for almost a week (she was off a couple of days). Today I finally spoke with her about my issue of being sent T8's instead of T12's. She told me that Zoo Med no longer makes the T12 and will only be making T8's. I was initially concerned because my fixtures are T12, all of them. She said that the T8 lamp will fit into a T12 fixture. The issue is the type of ballast the fixture is using. If your fixture is a magnetic ballast you might have issues getting the lamp to start upon installation. She instructed me to take the lamps to a fixture that has an electronic ballast and turn the lamps on and off a couple of times. After doing this the lamps should work with a magnetic ballast. This seemed strange to me. I tried the lamps out in my magnetic ballasted fixture from Lythonia, no dice. The filaments glow but the lamp does not strike.

Is the conversion to T8 old news and I am late to the party? Has anyone had this experience? I know the reason for the change over is that T12 lamps are only made for the US markets and Zoo Med doesn't feel the need to support this style anymore. The T8 is more efficient than the T12 so Zoo Med is doing us a favor. Those of you in the UK will tell me I am late to the party... lol.

To add:

The T12 lamps are no longer manufactured, so don't panic yet, they are still around. T12 lamps will be in the stores still for some time. Ashley told me that some sizes (length) have much larger stock quantities and will be around for a couple of years due to the limited use of those sizes.

To those looking to expand your current setup or to those new members. Look into buying the T8 fixtures and trying to find the T8 lamps. Can told me he has used T12 lamps in T8 fixtures. The light output isn't as great since the T8 ballast isn't meant to drive the higher power T12 lamp.

Ashley also justified the change over to how the T8 lamp is more energy efficient. Apparently California is outlawying T12 fictures in new building code. Also T8 has been in use in the UK and other places for more than 15 years (according to Ashley). The US got special treatment from Zoo Med to get the T12 lamps... now their time has come.

Please share some input if you've noticed a change at your local pet shop or if you've known about this. Share your feelings about the change over.

I just bought 4 48 t12 from lllreptile and even asked for t 8's because my ballasts are for t8's. They told me they dont make 5.0's in t8 so I went to lowes and bought new t12 ballasts. Now I'm wondering if the output on these bulbs are up to par.

So you're telling me that I went all over the place trying to find a t12 fixture and now they don't make the bulbs?
Damn.

At least I bought a 2 year supply.

Easiest thing to do would be to swap out the ballast. Nothing too difficult and I know home depot has tons in all sizes for about $15.

Update

An update on 10.0 T12 lamps.

Zoo Med replaced the two bad T12 lamps I purchased three weeks ago with T8 lamps. Since I don't have a T8 fixture I am not using the new lamps.

To replace the T8 lamps I have on standby I purchased two more T12 lamps from LLL Reptile last weekend. I installed one and went on with life. I borrowed Dave's meter again in order to make sure the lamp I am using is working ok.............. It is giving me the same bad readings as the first lamp. In order to check my second lamp I put it into a fixture, turned it on and bbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz nothing. lamp died. So today I took the fizzled lamp to LLL to return it. Before leaving the store I asked if I could test the lamps. I tested two lamps in the store and they were both reading weak. I took one as a replacement and as evidence. I plan to send both T12 lamps back to Zoo Med for verification of output failure. I have a feeling LLL has a bad batch of lamps. I was told by Kevin that they do have the new T8s at the warehouse ready to replace the T12 lamps once they have been purchased.

I wonder if it might be time to remove the T12s on shelf before consumption in order to save animals from MBD? :confused:

What were the readings you got from these bad T12s????

I'm generally happy with anything from 20s- 30s at 6 inches on a new one. I usually replace them at around 8 - 9 uW/cm2.

yes exoterra (hagen), Zoomed, and Zilla are all abandoning the T12, and have switched to the T8 size. we no longer get these in, and when we sell them at work we will no longer carry T12 anything. most of the new fixtures sold for reptiles in the past 2 years or so have been T8 as well. this transition first made its way from Fish tank hoods, and is now onto reptiles. I myself was wondering what people would do, or if they had to replace their fixtures

yes exoterra (hagen), Zoomed, and Zilla are all abandoning the T12, and have switched to the T8 size. we no longer get these in, and when we sell them at work we will no longer carry T12 anything. most of the new fixtures sold for reptiles in the past 2 years or so have been T8 as well. this transition first made its way from Fish tank hoods, and is now onto reptiles. I myself was wondering what people would do, or if they had to replace their fixtures

Wonder why they were slow to transition with the reptile biz... I did notice how the fish sections at pet stores are T8... just never really thought of why.

Kevin,

Will the new 5.0 fit in the 48 inch Home Depot fixture?

Are the new bulbs not putting out the same UVB as the old ones?

Nick

Kevin,

Nick

they are supposed to have the same uvb per cu2, and use less power while emitting the same amount of light ect.

and yes. if you get a T8 one, but i got my fixture at lowes for 20$ though i had to wire it myself

Kevin,

Nick

The issue I have run into is that the 10.0 lamps I have purchased from LLL Reptile are not outputting the correct amount of UVB (I believe). When I contacted Zoo Med to tell them of my issues I was instructed to send them my T12 10.0 48" lamps. Ashley told me the one lamp (that worked) did output low amounts of UVB. They then shipped me replacements.... But the replacement was a T8 10.0 48" lamp. So I called to say "WTH?" and was told that T12 lamps are no longer made. I then went to LLL Reptile to purchase some more T12 lamps... The two I purchased were not good. One lamp did not output enough UVB and the other burned out when installed and power applied. I went to LLL Reptile AGAIN and said "this lamp doesn't work, can I try a couple in your store before I leave?' I was allowed and two of the lamps I tested did not seem up to par. I took one as an exchange for the burned out lamp. I plan to send my two lamps which I believe to be outputting low amounts of UVB, to Zoo Med.

This thread is to alert those who may be buying T12 lamps and fixtures to be aware that T12 lamps are no longer made and that after the stock rooms have been cleared of T12 lamps, T8 will be your only option. This isn't really a bad thing..... unless you operate a lot of T12 lamps with T12 fixtures that can not operate the T8 lamps. Magnetic ballast fixtures don't capable. As soon as I can get my hands on a 10.0 T12 lamp that seems to be outputting the correct amount of UVB or I am told 'thats all ya get, shut up' I will test my T8 lamps in a T12 fixture (that has the balls to power the T8 lamp) and see if there is a difference in UVB output between a T8 lamp in a T12 vs. T8 fixture.

I have been able to operate my T8 lamps in a T12 fixture that I operate above two sets of cages. These fixtures are the $22 range T12 Sylvania fixture you'll find at Home Depot. These fixtures require you to buy a power cord and power cord strain relief in order to operate. I also plan to buy a similar T8 fixture for comparison.

I have no experience with the T8 5.0 Zoo Med Reptisun. All T12 lamps from Zoo Med are no longer in production and will only be available until current stock is depleted. I was told some sized lamps have stock available that may last up to two years.... I was not told which size that is.

Today I tried to contact Ashley but she wasn't able to take my call (was on another call). I left a message with the receptionist. I was contacted by someone else (Steve) and instructed to return his call tomorrow (it was late in the day). I will return the call and let you guys know what I find out.

they are supposed to have the same uvb per cu2, and use less power while emitting the same amount of light ect.

and yes. if you get a T8 one, but i got my fixture at lowes for 20$ though i had to wire it myself

Yes, the reason T8 has been chosen is because the fixtures and lamps operate more efficiently.... more "green". Yet they still produce the same amount of light. I was told that T12 fixtures don't meet building codes anymore... at least in CA. In the UK I guess T8s have been in use for 15 years.... Zoo Med has made the T12 Lamp specifically for the US market, no one else. So they finally said "enough' and made the jump. I don't really have an issue with this since I can still buy T12 lamps from LLL. The issue I do have is that the ones I am buying don't seem to have the right amount of output. If the output is not correct I'd like to make Zoo Med aware that a batch of lamps isn't meeting the high standard we are all expecting. It just so happens that at this time I was made aware that T12s are no longer made and how much better th T8 should be for all of us.

When I get my conversion thread going I will post a link here. T12 and T8 use the same pin configuration so the lamps fit the same sockets. The difference is the ballast regulating the power to the lamp.

even though zoo med has admitted the switch to t-8 for all of their lamps , they were unable or unwilling to name those who are selling them, i have found them in some sizes that were previously t-12, but an exhaustive search has failed to find anybody shipping the 5.0 24" IN T-8, i would love to hear from anyone who knows where to get the 5.0-24" in t-8/ edit also wondering why a 5.0 t-8 would be harder to fire than a 5.0 t-12 of the same length ? you would think that having a smaller interior to the bulb would make it easier to strike ? or are there other manufacturing differences other than the diam ?

I just recieved my t12 from LLL about 4 weeks ago. Now I guess I have to give in a get a light meter. Damn I have been trying to save the money but that is over!! And I just spent $250 getting a good roach colony going. Hope those bugs get here from both guys, i will be to broke to buy crickets soon.:(:(

Back
Top Bottom