Young Veiled F Cham is sleeping a lot, squinting eyes and rubbing her eyes against the screen

Oooo she’s gonna love exploring all those new plants and branches!!! I just quickly reviewed your original post. Did you switch the calcium to one without d3? Between too much d3 and the incorrect lighting at first, it could take some time for her eye issues to resolve. I’m not a vet and not as experienced as others, so bear that in mind. Force feeding is a last resort. Someone else with more experience with little ones can chime in here.

Oooo she’s gonna love exploring all those new plants and branches!!! I just quickly reviewed your original post. Did you switch the calcium to one without d3? Between too much d3 and the incorrect lighting at first, it could take some time for her eye issues to resolve. I’m not a vet and not as experienced as others, so bear that in mind. Force feeding is a last resort. Someone else with more experience with little ones can chime in here.
The original post has a typo, I corrected it in a follow up post (sorry for the confusion!) she is on the correct supplements. So it was mainly the light that was causing this.

And yes! She’s loving her new plants but is just wondering through them blindly at the moment :(

The original post has a typo, I corrected it in a follow up post (sorry for the confusion!) she is on the correct supplements. So it was mainly the light that was causing this.

And yes! She’s loving her new plants but is just wondering through them blindly at the moment :(
Ok good. I’m still learning and have only had my noodle for a year, so I am of limited help. Hopefully others can help get this figured out.

I would dump about 10-15 small crickets in her feeder and place it near her basking spot or near where ever she sits. She needs lots of movement in her feeder dish. I used a bird feeder cup when my Cham was her size.

The window blocks uvb. She won't be able to benefit from the sun shining in the window and might overheat.

Hey, just wanted to update yall and ask a question.

Here’s my current setup for her (please tell me if you see any issues) I only used plants on the veiled tested list as well as used a guide on how to clean off sticks for her and put those in as well.

She’s moving around really good, drinking, and is usually basking. But she hasn’t opened her eyes since Monday and still hasn’t eaten. She looks really skinny and I’m honestly worried about malnutrition.

I’ve seen a few threads on here about force feeding and wanted to ask y’all’s opinion and advice on this. She’s so little so I’m worried to try but she also won’t eat anything offered and won’t open her eyes.
Your feeder cup is way too deep. Her tongue is not long enough to reach the bottom. Did you get tiny crickets?

the branches look to be too far down. WIth that t8 fixture and 5.0 bulb you have to have the higher vines/branches 5 inches down from the screen where the fixture sits. This puts them in the correct UVI level. Farther away and her system will not get the UVB she needs.

Did you get the calcium without D3?

What are you doing for misting the cage?

Your feeder cup is way too deep. Her tongue is not long enough to reach the bottom. Did you get tiny crickets?

the branches look to be too far down. WIth that t8 fixture and 5.0 bulb you have to have the higher vines/branches 5 inches down from the screen where the fixture sits. This puts them in the correct UVI level. Farther away and her system will not get the UVB she needs.

Did you get the calcium without D3?

What are you doing for misting the cage?
Ok I’ll get a shallower cup for her but she also didn’t have any interest in the free roaming crickets or worms either plus she can’t see them.

I’ll adjust the branches as soon as I get home then, thank you.

Yes, she’s been on the one without D3, I had just made a typo on the original post wich I later corrected. She’s been on the right supplements the whole time she’s been under my care.

I’ve been misting the cage about three times a day for 1 to 2 minutes with a spray bottle.

Ok I’ll get a shallower cup for her but she also didn’t have any interest in the free roaming crickets or worms either plus she can’t see them.

I’ll adjust the branches as soon as I get home then, thank you.

Yes, she’s been on the one without D3, I had just made a typo on the original post wich I later corrected. She’s been on the right supplements the whole time she’s been under my care.

I’ve been misting the cage about three times a day for 1 to 2 minutes with a spray bottle.
Ok so here is the thing... Depending on what the actual reason is for her closing her eyes advice can vary. I do not know how far away her vines are right now. But you want one running parallel to the uvb fixture no farther away than 5 inches from the screen.

If the shut down is mainly due to incorrect UVB lighting and lack of feeder intake when you first got her then the fix is to get the UVB spot on and if you need to move her up to that branch if she is not opening her eyes. Then of course getting her eating. Many will not eat from a cup right off and have to be trained to it. I really prefer feeder runs for this simple fact. They contain the insects and keep the cham from being bitten. But the cham can easily access them.

She could be shutting down from her immune system being compromised. Chams this young are extremely fragile so they go downhill fast when aspects of their enclosure are not set up right. This invites other health issues to take over compromising their body.

I would have a dripper going during the day. You can do this with a plastic cup and tiny pin holes in it set on top of the cage away from the lights over plants and branches to drip down onto them.

Back
Top Bottom