Zoo Med Dropping T12 UVB Lamps.

even though zoo med has admitted the switch to t-8 for all of their lamps , they were unable or unwilling to name those who are selling them, i have found them in some sizes that were previously t-12, but an exhaustive search has failed to find anybody shipping the 5.0 24" IN T-8, i would love to hear from anyone who knows where to get the 5.0-24" in t-8/ edit also wondering why a 5.0 t-8 would be harder to fire than a 5.0 t-12 of the same length ? you would think that having a smaller interior to the bulb would make it easier to strike ? or are there other manufacturing differences other than the diam ?

I just bought four of them last week in 24" reptisuns 5.0 try thafishplace.com

even though zoo med has admitted the switch to t-8 for all of their lamps , they were unable or unwilling to name those who are selling them, i have found them in some sizes that were previously t-12, but an exhaustive search has failed to find anybody shipping the 5.0 24" IN T-8, i would love to hear from anyone who knows where to get the 5.0-24" in t-8/ edit also wondering why a 5.0 t-8 would be harder to fire than a 5.0 t-12 of the same length ? you would think that having a smaller interior to the bulb would make it easier to strike ? or are there other manufacturing differences other than the diam ?

The length has more to do with the difficulty of striking the lamp. A magnetic ballast has a transformer inside the ballast to step up the voltage for starting the lamp. If the fixture is meant for a T12 lamp and you are using a T8 lamp, the ballast will not be designed to strike the T8. The transformer will not step the voltage up high enough. From my reading it is much less common to find magnetic ballasts in T8 fixtures with larger lamp lengths, if at all. Most 18" T8 fixtures you buy have a magnetic ballast. The longer the tube the more voltage needed to strike the lamp....

The purpose of going T8 is to be more efficient. Now that they have been around a while the ballasts for T8 lamps are becoming lower in price. Yes, they are a bit more money right now but magnetic ballasts are a thing of the past, time to move on. So either horde the old T12 lamps or buy the new T8. My findings are that the end of the line T12 lamps don't output what they should even though zoo med says nothing has changed in the way they make the lamp... Maybe the 6 or 8 lamps I test were just from a bad batch... I don't know. But I would much rather use the new lamp especially if people don't have meters to double check the T12 lamps still on the shelf.

I just recieved my t12 from LLL about 4 weeks ago. Now I guess I have to give in a get a light meter. Damn I have been trying to save the money but that is over!! And I just spent $250 getting a good roach colony going. Hope those bugs get here from both guys, i will be to broke to buy crickets soon.:(:(
must be one giant roach colony

I just bought 4 48 t12 from lllreptile and even asked for t 8's because my ballasts are for t8's. They told me they dont make 5.0's in t8 so I went to lowes and bought new t12 ballasts. Now I'm wondering if the output on these bulbs are up to par.

man I got screwed by them as well :mad: , and then i made a post, and it got deleted!!!!!

they stopped producing the T12's before December last year. thats what our rep told us at petland!!!!!

man I got screwed by them as well :mad: , and then i made a post, and it got deleted!!!!!

they stopped producing the T12's before December last year. thats what our rep told us at petland!!!!!

Saw your post about LLL and was going to reply but it got deleted. I had a very similar issue with them and yes they refused to pay return shipping. One item was not even functioning but still I had to pay to return it. So I feel your pain man! I've since found a much better spot to buy supplies from!

Saw your post about LLL and was going to reply but it got deleted. I had a very similar issue with them and yes they refused to pay return shipping. One item was not even functioning but still I had to pay to return it. So I feel your pain man! I've since found a much better spot to buy supplies from!

If you guys have issues with LLL, this forum (chameleonforums.com) is not a place to reconcile the issue. If you would like to talk publicly and state your issues with them, use the Fauna classified's BOI forum. You can openly discuss issues without fear of deletion. If you would like to share that Zoo Med does not make 48" 5.0 lamps, that is a different story.... oh and untrue because I have one sitting right here. So maybe they just didn't have them in stock. :eek:

Zoo Med Dropping T12 UVB lamps

I have the opposite problem. Cant find the 24" T8's I need in my area yet. Very hard to come by. Had to use Rzilla 24" t8 5.0 Tropical UVB for my Cham. His shop light fixture is a 2 foot. On my Beardie set up I have a 4 foot shop light that runs both t12 and t8. Both are made by Lights of America. So I emailed them and they stated I can use either t8 or t12 for the fixtures. They stated that if the fixture was made within the last 1-2 years...that the ballast is equippt to run both sizes.
I know That Pet Place sells the zoo med 5.0...but I get stuff shipped directly through Gen. Pet through our Clinic and get warehouse price, so I prefer to get what they can get in. And if a bulb is bunk I can simply bring it to work to return it. No return shipping hassel.
And you are right. T12 bulbs are no longer being MANUFACTURED. So people can only buy what is in the stock pile of what is left. When they are gone they are gone and only T8 will be available and manufactured in USA.

I have the opposite problem. Cant find the 24" T8's I need in my area yet. Very hard to come by. Had to use Rzilla 24" t8 5.0 Tropical UVB for my Cham. His shop light fixture is a 2 foot. On my Beardie set up I have a 4 foot shop light that runs both t12 and t8. Both are made by Lights of America. So I emailed them and they stated I can use either t8 or t12 for the fixtures. They stated that if the fixture was made within the last 1-2 years...that the ballast is equippt to run both sizes.
I know That Pet Place sells the zoo med 5.0...but I get stuff shipped directly through Gen. Pet through our Clinic and get warehouse price, so I prefer to get what they can get in. And if a bulb is bunk I can simply bring it to work to return it. No return shipping hassel.
And you are right. T12 bulbs are no longer being MANUFACTURED. So people can only buy what is in the stock pile of what is left. When they are gone they are gone and only T8 will be available and manufactured in USA.

I was at LLL last weekend asking about getting T8 5.0 in the 24" size.... All they had in the store were T12s..... Maybe they have some at the warehouse. I sent LLL a PM but haven't heard back. I should just email them directly instead hahaha, might get an answer faster. :D

Back
Top Bottom