Zelda's Back - "Laid" but no eggs?

Breezy9

Zelda is about 7 1/2 month old veiled chameleon so this is her first time laying. I've researched everything and know about the laying bin and all.

The past couple weeks she has been going to the bottom of the 18x18x36 ReptiBreeze cage and walking around so I put her in the laying bin a couple times to show her it was there. Yesterday I noticed her digging in the bin so I covered her cage with a sheet. She dug and dug all day long and then backed into the hole then her lights turned off for the night and that is where she slept. Backed into the hole she dug in the laying bin. This morning when I peeked in on her she was awake still in the bin. Then a couple hours later I peeked again (I know you're supposed to give them privacy) and she was covered in sand climbing up her foliage.

I took the laying bin out and checked very carefully for eggs but there aren't any! I'm so confused and I don't want her to become egg bound. I know they sometimes dig practice holes but for 24 hours?

Other than that she looks hydrated and I've seen her eat a few crickets already. Her grip is strong and she's basking.

Ugh.

Not to question you, but it sure sounds like she was in there laying. Are you sure there aren't any eggs? They're only the size of jelly beans, and you wouldn't be the first one to miss them. If necessary, I would carefully empty the bin and sift through it if you haven't done that yet.

I hope your girl is OK!

Thank you! I only checked the hole that she dug. I was SURE she was laying too! That's why I was confused. I will definitely check again with my kids' sand sifter. Lol. Her body is only about 4 inches long. Really? the size of Jelly beans?! That seems so big for her!

Thanks again! I'll go double check now.

Just dumped and sifted through all of the sand by hand. Nothing. Any more suggestions? Zelda just did a big poop not 10 mins ago too. Lol

She is searching the bottom of her cage again now. I'm thinking she must have done a very detailed practice run yesterday. Lol

She ate a HUGE cricket today and took a big poop. Other than exploring down she's very light green and looks happy. I will just leave her be.

My neighbor works at a reptile vet so I'm prepared to bring her in if I need to. How long should I wait? Could it be like a false pregnancy almost? Her eggs would be infertile, of course.

Thanks!

My girl spent about a week "tricking" me into thinking she was potentially egg bound. She surfed around the bottom of her enclosure, dug a bunch of test holes in her bin, etc. She's only just finished laying them today so...

I was told by an experinced member that dark coloration of their hind quarters, weakness in the back legs, those are signs of a need for an immediate trip to the vet. If she has her happy colors on and is eating, I personally wouldn't panic yet. However, I'm not an expert on this obviously as this is my first time too. Good luck with her.

Zelda must have been doing a very thorough dry run on Tuesday because she's back in the bin today digging to China! She spent all day yesterday eating and drinking so maybe she was storing up or her big event today. As a mother I can't believe she needs to dig a huge hole AND THEN lay the eggs. I guess human labor and chameleons dig. Lol. My little baby is an adult now! I'll let you know if I find any eggs when she's done. She seems to be digging much quicker than the other day, too.

Zelda must have been doing a very thorough dry run on Tuesday because she's back in the bin today digging to China! She spent all day yesterday eating and drinking so maybe she was storing up or her big event today. As a mother I can't believe she needs to dig a huge hole AND THEN lay the eggs. I guess human labor and chameleons dig. Lol. My little baby is an adult now! I'll let you know if I find any eggs when she's done. She seems to be digging much quicker than the other day, too.

I hope all goes well with Zelda. Keep us posted.

Thanks, Jannb! She's been doing great since she was sick! Seems to be going strong now. I'm not worried...yet. ;-)

Just peeked from the top of Zelda's cage (I have the sides covered with a sheet) and she has turned around into the hole now.

She is searching the bottom of her cage again now. I'm thinking she must have done a very detailed practice run yesterday. Lol

She ate a HUGE cricket today and took a big poop. Other than exploring down she's very light green and looks happy. I will just leave her be.

My neighbor works at a reptile vet so I'm prepared to bring her in if I need to. How long should I wait? Could it be like a false pregnancy almost? Her eggs would be infertile, of course.

Thanks!

I just have to say you area very lucky girl. I saw a thread where another girl was basically detailing her cham's death from an unknown ailment, and she couldn't find a vet. You have a neighbor that works at a reptilian vet. How fortunate can any chameleon keeper be? I sure hope your little girl is okay and finally lays those eggs.By the way, my Dwarf Fisher's egs are only as big as white Navy beans.

Another practice hole??? How many is too many? So far she dug and slept turned around curled up in the laying bin Tuesday & Thursday (yesterday). She's now acting normal besides looking a bit chubby. Happy green, not dehydrated and I've seen her eat, too.

I'm still not too worried because Zelda seems to do things completely in her own way...while stressing me out the entire time.

Digging again. Turned around into hole. Now digging deeper.
::sigh::
Zelda always keeps me on my toes!

My female panther dug 6 practice holes the last time she layed. They do practice runs when they don't like the conditions of the substrate in my experience. This last time the very bottom layer of substrate was too wet so I think that's the part she didn't like. I've drilled a few more holes in the bottom to help it drain better for the future. I leave a laying bin in her cage 24/7/365 so she can dig and do her business on her own schedule. Sometimes you still have to move them into a bigger laying bin but having one in her own cage at least gives you some warning and gives her the chance to do some practice runs.

Back
Top Bottom