Zelda's Back - "Laid" but no eggs?

Thank you! I was noticing that the bottom layer was very wet when I was sifting through the sand after her 2 other practice runs. Zelda is turned around in the hole again but has her dark colors on.

No. She hasn't been filling the holes in. I thought about that and after she dug a couple more practice holes I've been leaving the hole there instead of sifting right away. I figured that when she does actually lay she will cover the holes in. She's in the bin digging her 5th hole but has turned around into it much earlier in the day as the other times. Tuesday will be a week of her digging holes and before that was a week of surfing the bottom. I guess after this I will know for next time! lol.
She's been doing well otherwise. She's very chubby so I know she hasn't laid yet. Sometimes she has her dark colors on when she's hanging out after or before she's been in the bin but as soon as I pick her up she turns that beautiful light green.

Silly Zelda. Always keeping me on my toes...

No. She hasn't been filling the holes in. I thought about that and after she dug a couple more practice holes I've been leaving the hole there instead of sifting right away. I figured that when she does actually lay she will cover the holes in. She's in the bin digging her 5th hole but has turned around into it much earlier in the day as the other times. Tuesday will be a week of her digging holes and before that was a week of surfing the bottom. I guess after this I will know for next time! lol.
She's been doing well otherwise. She's very chubby so I know she hasn't laid yet. Sometimes she has her dark colors on when she's hanging out after or before she's been in the bin but as soon as I pick her up she turns that beautiful light green.

Silly Zelda. Always keeping me on my toes...

I guess you didn't read the contract when you got Zelda! It states very clearly that on of the chams jobs is to keep the keepers always on their toes and a nervous wreck. It sounds like Zelda is a perfect cham.:rolleyes:

Hang in there sooner or later she will do the deed. We are all hoping for you and Zelda.

Thank you! Zelda is on Hole #5. She is sleeping up top with an uncovered hole. Zelda, Zelda, Zelda. Lol

Keeping you and Zelda in my thoughts and prayer. It she doesn't lay soon I would take her in for an x-ray and possibly some Oxycitocin. I have never had a girl dig test holes but read about them on here. I do know that these little girls are extremely delicate and at the first sign of a problem I would go to the vet. The sooner you go the better chance of survival for your Cham.

Zelda dug her 6th "practice" hole today. She is still looking good and healthy I'm just worried about her actually laying the eggs at this point.

I've heard of some females digging a ton of test holes and/or taking several days to a week to lay. As long as she looks healthy, is acting normal, and keeps digging after she hasn't laid, I wouldn't personally take her to the vet. The moment you see an issue, take her though.

If you want to try it, you can place her in a larger trash can with sand to see if she lays. Some chameleons don't like the laying bins we provide for them for whatever reason and will lay almost immediately after being put in a large trash can. I use one that is about 3 feet tall and 20 inches in diameter and fill it about 15 inches with moist sand. I also place a small plant (fake or real) in it and put a branch in there as well. I have found that a lot of females like to dig near/under a plant when they lay.

I would also suggest not peeking in on her at all if you can. Some are super shy and abandon the hole if they see you at all.

Thank you! I will try the different laying bin. She's in there digging again now...Hole #7 and today is the 1 week mark from when she started her digging. She still seems happy, green and strong! I will try to sneak the new bin in there tonight after she's gone to sleep if she doesn't lay today.

How deep is your laying bin? When my veiled was laying, the bin I had was too shallow. When I put in a deep bucket, she finally laid.

Lol. FEMALES!

I got Zelda a BIG bin and brand new play sand, stuck 2 sticks and some vines from Zelda's favorite place outside into it, put her in the sand AAAANNNDDD...She started digging right next to one of the sticks immediately.
Hole #9. (#8 was this morning)

9 is my lucky number so lets hope it stays lucky!!!

Zelda woke up and got right to work! She's now made a hole deeper than any hole she dug in the smaller bin. The new sand seems to be MUCH better than the other sand I gad in the smaller bin, too.
I feel really bad and I hope she doesn't have complications from it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375974607.513416.jpg
I took this pic yesterday. She's definitely full but still looking happy.

I REALLY hope today is the day.

Zelda covered MOST of her hole this time. Is that normal? It was super deep and she's looking skinnier. What do you think? Eggs?

The only way to know for sure is if you look through the sand for the eggs.

Yes, do dig up the eggs. You will want to know how many she laid even if they are not fertile. Normally, they are all the way to the bottom and up against the side of the can.

Back
Top Bottom