Worried about my new cham

Welcome Dianna and Kyle! Your are so handsome kyle with your big casque! Well you got excellent direction from calamitycrow! I do want to recommend a few things that i find help create a jungle gym. First cut that shower curtain to seal theback and one side. I do the side where i have the electrical. Also hang the strip and dont set it on the same table as the cage. You dont want a fire. You can use packing or duct tape to seal the curtain down then get used to spraying on thise sides. Fluckers Farm has bend a branch in three thicknesses that really help to create that gym for kyle. Get medium and large via amazon. i like the swiss cheese plant (moderstero) because the stalks are sturdy. I also suggest thst you buy splashproof basking bulbs. I broke many a bulb from water! Always get a spare. I like a dimmer switch on my basking housing and get the 75 watt bulb that way if the temo is off you can adjust with the dimmer instead of adjusting the cage. Also you may as well get a variety of sizes of zip ties on amazon as you will use them for so much just cut off the excess and melt it with a lighter so a sharp edge doesnt cut kyle. When you upgrade to a bigger cage 2x2x4, know that they arent as sturdy so if you can afford it, i would invest in dragon stands to hang all your plants from. they are one of our sponsors on this site and they are worth the investment. Rainbowmealworms.net is where i get all my feeders and have never had any issues with them. Well i could go on and on, lol so excited for you. Btw my veiled has strange sleeping habits. He will sleep standing up. Also your cham may have had a different bedtime schedule. but a vet visit is a great way to start off your with kyle. please keep us updated. Also dont listen to sales people. There is so much misinformation out there. Check here if you need to purchase anything. Its a great bunch of cham lovers here that will steer you right!

I love everyone here. They are so non judgmental Lots of other groups online have been known to be….not so nice when others do things differently or make honest mistakes. People here truly want the best for you and your chams and will actually help you rather than make you feel bad about it. I hope you and Kyle stick around!
I agree! Thanks so much 🥰 I appreciate everyone being so welcoming and kind!

Welcome Dianna and Kyle! Your are so handsome kyle with your big casque! Well you got excellent direction from calamitycrow! I do want to recommend a few things that i find help create a jungle gym. First cut that shower curtain to seal theback and one side. I do the side where i have the electrical. Also hang the strip and dont set it on the same table as the cage. You dont want a fire. You can use packing or duct tape to seal the curtain down then get used to spraying on thise sides. Fluckers Farm has bend a branch in three thicknesses that really help to create that gym for kyle. Get medium and large via amazon. i like the swiss cheese plant (moderstero) because the stalks are sturdy. I also suggest thst you buy splashproof basking bulbs. I broke many a bulb from water! Always get a spare. I like a dimmer switch on my basking housing and get the 75 watt bulb that way if the temo is off you can adjust with the dimmer instead of adjusting the cage. Also you may as well get a variety of sizes of zip ties on amazon as you will use them for so much just cut off the excess and melt it with a lighter so a sharp edge doesnt cut kyle. When you upgrade to a bigger cage 2x2x4, know that they arent as sturdy so if you can afford it, i would invest in dragon stands to hang all your plants from. they are one of our sponsors on this site and they are worth the investment. Rainbowmealworms.net is where i get all my feeders and have never had any issues with them. Well i could go on and on, lol so excited for you. Btw my veiled has strange sleeping habits. He will sleep standing up. Also your cham may have had a different bedtime schedule. but a vet visit is a great way to start off your with kyle. please keep us updated. Also dont listen to sales people. There is so much misinformation out there. Check here if you need to purchase anything. Its a great bunch of cham lovers here that will steer you right!
Awesome thank you so much for the advice!! I will give an update in him after I get him to the vet and get him some new things for his home!

Just to update everyone, I found a vet near me that the vendor I got him from actually recommended. I asked the vendor if he’s been tested for parasites before and he said that he had been. He also told me he bought Kyle for his girlfriend and then she didn’t like him because he’s mean 😂 He is definitely a bit mean but I think part if it may also be that he is not feeling good. I did ask the vendor for money back but he refused and said that Kyle was fine when he had him and that other vendors at the reptile show could vouch for him. I’m not sure how long it takes a chameleon to start showing signs of RI, but it seemed a little shady to me. But, regardless, Kyle will be taken care of thanks to everyone on here 😊 I’ll update after the vet!

Just to update everyone, I found a vet near me that the vendor I got him from actually recommended. I asked the vendor if he’s been tested for parasites before and he said that he had been. He also told me he bought Kyle for his girlfriend and then she didn’t like him because he’s mean 😂 He is definitely a bit mean but I think part if it may also be that he is not feeling good. I did ask the vendor for money back but he refused and said that Kyle was fine when he had him and that other vendors at the reptile show could vouch for him. I’m not sure how long it takes a chameleon to start showing signs of RI, but it seemed a little shady to me. But, regardless, Kyle will be taken care of thanks to everyone on here 😊 I’ll update after the vet!
He's not mean he is just spicy 🤣 ❤️

Yeah a little sketch in my opinion. Especially if the husbandry for Kyle wasn't great before you got him. Usually stress lowers their immune system and then when the situation's right, the bacteria (or virus or parasites) attack. I'd say it's PROBABLY not you if you've only had him a week.

Has he still been sleeping with nose in the air? Any pops or crackles coming from him when he's just hanging out? Stringy mucus in the mouth? Gaping (mouth open) and what looks like labored breathing?

Yeah a little sketch in my opinion. Especially if the husbandry for Kyle wasn't great before you got him. Usually stress lowers their immune system and then when the situation's right, the bacteria (or virus or parasites) attack. I'd say it's PROBABLY not you if you've only had him a week.

Has he still been sleeping with nose in the air? Any pops or crackles coming from him when he's just hanging out? Stringy mucus in the mouth? Gaping (mouth open) and what looks like labored breathing?
I’m glad you say that because I was so scared I did something wrong, but I’m like how in a week did that happen?

He has been and I’ve heard some pops and crackles but only once or twice. I never saw gaping, mucus, or labored breathing, but I am with him at the vet right now actually and they said he had a bunch of mucus at the back of his throat. They think it’s more if a sinus issue than a full blown respiratory infection, thankfully! They’re gonna set me up with some eye drops for his itchy eyes and some nebulizer treatments 😊 I’m just happy he’s okay!

IMG_2806.png

Thought everyone might enjoy a picture of a very angry Kyle while the vet tries to listen to his heart😂😂😂

I’m curious about the nebulizer treatments…what is the medication and how does one even give a neb treatment to a chameleon? Are you sure this vet is experienced with chameleons?

I’m curious about the nebulizer treatments…what is the medication and how does one even give a neb treatment to a chameleon? Are you sure this vet is experienced with chameleons?
They gave me a saline solution for the nebulizer and to do it tonight, I just put it into his travel cage with him so he breathes it in. The vet does specialize in exotic animals and she does have a chameleon herself as well, so I think she’s good? I got a good recommendation for her from a two people who vend at reptile shows. She seemed to be asking all the right questions about his health too because a lot of them aligned with what everyone was saying on here. I went to Birds and Exotic Pets Wellness Center in Toledo, Ohio

Ok. The nebulized saline will help break up and thin out mucous and secretions. I’m guessing you already had the neb machine and set up. So, does the vet think he’s having allergies or something?
Yeah I have asthma so I definitely keep a nebulizer 😂 I’m hoping it clears him up quickly! I feel horrible for the poor thing :( She said she thinks he’s got a little bit of a sinus infection but not too bad where he needs antibiotics yet. I noticed after the nebulizer treatment, he was opening his mouth a lot and drank a lot of water after (I just kept it dripping in front of him until he stopped drinking) so I’m hoping maybe that means it broke some of that up?

Back
Top Bottom