Worried about my new cham

I’m hoping someone can help me figure out if my little guy is okay! I just got him about a week ago now from a friend of mine who is a vendor at reptile shows. She doesn’t breed chameleons- she found him from another vendor- so she doesn’t know much about them. I’ve had a veiled before so I sort of know what signs to look for that something is wrong and I am a bit concerned. So he is about 8-9 months old and he has been eating just fine (at least 2-3 crickets every day) and I mist his cage about 3 times a day with a handheld mister (I’m going to be getting an automated one hooked up as well). I haven’t seen him drink water at all, but I’m not sure if he’s just not doing it while I’m looking? My concern is that his eyes look a little droopy and then tonight when I came home from work, I found him sleeping standing up with his chin up which scares me because I know that could be a sign of a respiratory infection. I’ll attach a picture I just took of him for reference. I haven’t seen him do this before and he seemed perfectly fine before I left for work today. He ate 3 crickets this morning. Should I be concerned?
IMG_2750.jpeg

Hello and welcome!

Based on what you said, and this picture, I would definitely say there's some cause for concern. Sleeping with the nose in the air like that, especially not resting on the branch, is definitely a sign of RI. I would make a vet appointment ASAP. RIs can be pretty rough on them. It also looks like he's maybe got some swelling in his eye turret there, which is another cause for concern.

In the meantime, if you'd like to fill out our husbandry form, we can take a look at everything to make sure you've got the best setup for your handsome little man! Just fill out the below and post it as a response here and some of our more veteran folks can do a review and give you some high quality information. Lots of pictures of the cage, (including the lights) and your cham will help everyone give you the best info they can.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hey! Thank you so much for the information!! I’ve got to find a vet near me that cares for chameleons.

I’ll give you as much info as I can!

He is a male Veiled chameleon and the breeder said he is about 8-9 months old. I’ve had him for about a week

I haven’t handled him at all because he just hisses when I try haha but I’m also not trying much because I wanted to let him get comfortable in his new home first.

I am feeding him about 3 crickets daily and dusting them with calcium powder called Repti Calcium. He has definitely been eating well.

I am misting the cage with a spray bottle about 3 times a day. I do have an automated misting machine I plan to use in addition, but I need help getting it set up because his enclosure is pretty high up and I cannot reach the top lol😂 I’m gonna have my boyfriend help me with that. I have never seen my chameleon drink water though.

I don’t have anything to measure humidity or temperature at the moment, but would love some suggestions!

His fecal droppings looked ok to me- they were brown with a white and yellow on the end. He has never been tested for parasites that I know of.

I use a screen cage, but I would like to get some sort of plexiglass or something on two sides to keep some more humidity in. I’m just trying to figure out how I’m going to do that. I’ll attach a screenshot of the enclosure and light fixture I’m using; they came together. His lights are on a timer and stay on from about 7am-7pm each day.

I don’t currently have any live plants, but I am looking at getting some, so plant suggestions would be cool! I want more fake ones to hang in his enclosure as well because there is a spot toward the back that is pretty empty.

His enclosure is up high on a bookshelf in my bedroom. Only two of us live in the apartment, so the only person he really sees is me and sometimes my boyfriend. I am 5’4 and can barely reach the top of the cage for reference of the height he is up at.

I live in Sandusky, Ohio currently and he came from a reptile show that is held once a month in Freemont Ohio.

I’m just concerned that he’s sick or something after the way I saw him sleeping last night and the fact that I never see him drink water. I’ll attach a picture of the enclosure I have him in.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.png
    IMG_2751.png
    252.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2752.jpeg
    IMG_2752.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 30
Im going to give you some tips until someone with more experience can go through your husbandry 🙂

So you need a different light, the compact bulbs don't give enough UV. You want a long skinny one, I use the reptisun T5 high output 5.0 for my enclosure.

Fake plants can be used. But if your boy is a chomper, I probably wouldn't. A few plants you can use for your cage are Golden pothos, Umbrella plant, Spider plant, Boston fern, and Wandering jew. I have used all of these and loved them.

Putting a dripper on your cage can help with his hydration, my boy only drinks moving water. You can buy a dripper or make one out of a gallon jug.

I will leave the rest to someone ho has more experience than I do.

Okay, bear with me - my responses will be in bold. Unfortunately it looks like you've been told that the "Chameleon kit" is the way to go. Unfortunately, based on chameleon husbandry that we've learned over the last couple decades is very different than what that kit provides. I'm going to suggest many changes for you, but in the end, if he's point his nose up, you definitely need to take him to the vet. The other things that you need to change vary in time-sensitivity and I'll try to spell that out as I go along. And please bear in mind that my response and request for corrections is out of love and care for our little tree dragons, and not a reflection of you at all - there is SO MUCH misinformation out there that it's nearly impossible to avoid it.

He is a male Veiled chameleon and the breeder said he is about 8-9 months old. I’ve had him for about a week If he's only been in your care for one week, it's unlikely anything you did caused his issue. ARe you still in contact with the breeder? I Would chat with them about what they did while raising him and if they say any signs before selling. In particular, find out if he's ever had a fecal done for parasites.

I haven’t handled him at all because he just hisses when I try haha but I’m also not trying much because I wanted to let him get comfortable in his new home first. Good! You want to give them time to settle in - a new home is stressful for anyone!

I am feeding him about 3 crickets daily and dusting them with calcium powder called Repti Calcium. He has definitely been eating well. As he's coming up on a year, you'll want to take down his food juuust a bit more. By the time they're about 1 year old, you want to feed them 3-5ish bugs (Depending on size of the feeder) dusted in a plain calcium powder WITHOUT D3 about 3x a week. Mon/Wed/Fri works, and you can give a treat on Saturday. However you decide to feed, that's the frequency you're looking for. I'll dig up a great chart that has recommended feeders. You also want to gut load them - I'll find and post that handy chart as well. :) You want to keep things fresh for him! Crickets are a great staple but there are LOTS of bug options for his dining pleasure. I would also suggest buying them from a bug breeder - the pet store crickets will often, unfortunately, carry parasites. The bug breeders do not. I buy from Rainbow Meal Worms and Dubia.com.
For supplements, you want to dust your feeders each day with a little bit of calcium with NO D3. Most folks use this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UJPHL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1. You want a light dusting.... No powdered donut bugs! :)
Then, 2x a month, say the 1st and 15th, you want to supplement with some vitamins that your cham needs. They need both D3 and Vitamin A for proper body and eye function. On the 1st and 15th don't dust with the plain calcium, instead dust with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 That will make sure his nutrient levels are on point.

I am misting the cage with a spray bottle about 3 times a day. I do have an automated misting machine I plan to use in addition, but I need help getting it set up because his enclosure is pretty high up and I cannot reach the top lol I’m gonna have my boyfriend help me with that. I have never seen my chameleon drink water though. Chameleons are often secretive drinkers. Some folks here have NEVER seen them drink. You can tell if they're hydrated by the color of the urate (white part) of their waste. Ideally that urate is pure white. A little bit of yellow on one end is okay. If it's all yellow and/or orange, then your cham is not hydrated enough. Definitely get that mister hooked up. I *love* mine. I use distilled water in it so that there isn't any mineral buildup that can clog the tiny nozzle. And while you're at it, get a big power strip with a timer option. I have my mister, lights, heat, etc. all on timers. It's GREAT!

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A. (3).pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 32
I don’t have anything to measure humidity or temperature at the moment, but would love some suggestions! You DEFINITELY want to keep an eye on these. A simple hygrometer is VERY crucial so you know you've got the right ambient temps and humidity. Something like this should be fine: https://www.amazon.com/AQUANEAT-The...19-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

As for temperature, you want a digital thermometer with a probe that you can zip tie or twist tie to the branch right under his basking light. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2PV2R...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
As far as temperature goes - you want his basking spot to read not any hotter than 80-85 degrees. I'd stick closer to 80 if possible. The hood that came with the chameleon kit is actually still usable for his heat source. Buy a 60w INCANDESCENT bulb - the old kind that still get hot - that's usually perfect for getting the right temps.

His fecal droppings looked ok to me- they were brown with a white and yellow on the end. He has never been tested for parasites that I know of. If you're going to be taking him to the vet, bring a fresh fecal sample with you. You can put it in a baggie and in the fridge but something that's 24 hours or less old is ideal.

I use a screen cage, but I would like to get some sort of plexiglass or something on two sides to keep some more humidity in. I’m just trying to figure out how I’m going to do that. I’ll attach a screenshot of the enclosure and light fixture I’m using; they came together. His lights are on a timer and stay on from about 7am-7pm each day. Unfortunately, this cage is *not* the one you need. Chams need a minimum of 2'x2'x4' enclosure space. WHat you have right now is too small for him and will cause him undue stress. Reptibreeze does make a cage that big. It's their XL version. I think it's on sale right now on Chewy. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptibreeze-reptile-cage/dp/344870
And here's another *VERY* important part - the lighting that came with the cage is incorrect. Without correct UVB lighting, Kyle will develop what is called Metabolic Bone Disease. MBD is painful and irreversible if left too long. UVB is important for a cham so that they can create D3 in their bodies and properly absorb the calcium that you've so painstakingly made sure you've supplemented with. The spiral light bulb that came with the kit doesn't give the correct UVB. You actually want a linear light. The one I recommend is the Arcadia T5 6% light: https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures-kits/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ The arcadia is nice because you only have to change the bulb out every 12 months. You would place that diagonal across the top of the cage.
Additionally, you want a separation of 8-9" from the basking light and the UVB light. What this does is put your cham in the correct UVB intensity range, and prevents things like thermal burns, which they can easily get.
As far as keeping better humidity, you can buy a shower curtain, or for my original cage, I used the shrink plastic you can buy to insulate your windows for winter time. Either way, cover the back and two sides with that. Leave the front and top and bottom open for proper airflow.

I would also recommend two other items for the top of the cage: a plant light (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) because you'll want to convert to all live plants (more on that in a moment), and a small computer fan. In order to avoid too much humidity in the cage, you need what's called a "chimney effect." You'll place the fan on the cage such that it sucks air up and out. This allows the cage to dry out between mistings and helps you avoid too much humidity, which is the cause of RIs. I use this one and have no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OWVUJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t currently have any live plants, but I am looking at getting some, so plant suggestions would be cool! I want more fake ones to hang in his enclosure as well because there is a spot toward the back that is pretty empty. You got some plant recommendations above and those are great! The thing with veilds in particular is that sometimes they'll nibble on their plants. Chameleons are insectivores and so no one really knows why they do this, but they do. With fake plants, if Kyle nibbles on one of those, it can create an impaction in his bowels and kill him. I'd remove any fake plants from inside the cage. You CAN use them on the outside for more cover though!

His enclosure is up high on a bookshelf in my bedroom. Only two of us live in the apartment, so the only person he really sees is me and sometimes my boyfriend. I am 5’4 and can barely reach the top of the cage for reference of the height he is up at. High up is GREAT! They're tree-dwellers and height = safety for them. I'd say make sure the top of your cage is at least 6' off the ground, if not more. Good job here!

I live in Sandusky, Ohio currently and he came from a reptile show that is held once a month in Freemont Ohio.

I’m just concerned that he’s sick or something after the way I saw him sleeping last night and the fact that I never see him drink water. I’ll attach a picture of the enclosure I have him in.

Finally, I want to point you towards a couple of wonderful resources for Kyle (Haha I REALLY love the name).
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ - Read through here. It's a wealth of knowledge from one of the most experienced cham keepers out there. Read through it, and ask ANY questions you have here!
https://www.youtube.com/@NeptunetheChameleon - this channel is run by one of the folks on this forum and she breaks down husbandry tips, tricks, and questions in a very easy to understand way. I LOVE her videos!
Take a look at the attachment to this post. Here's a list of vetted cham vets that folks have used. This is a great way to find a vet in your area... I *think* there's one in the northern OH area but I can't remember for sure.
OKay I'm sure I may have missed some things... And I know that's a LOT of information to take in! Please read through it, and whatever you don't understand, myself or the other excellent folks here will gladly clarify. :)
And stand by for the charts I promised. One moment!

Im going to give you some tips until someone with more experience can go through your husbandry 🙂

So you need a different light, the compact bulbs don't give enough UV. You want a long skinny one, I use the reptisun T5 high output 5.0 for my enclosure.

Fake plants can be used. But if your boy is a chomper, I probably wouldn't. A few plants you can use for your cage are Golden pothos, Umbrella plant, Spider plant, Boston fern, and Wandering jew. I have used all of these and loved them.

Putting a dripper on your cage can help with his hydration, my boy only drinks moving water. You can buy a dripper or make one out of a gallon jug.

I will leave the rest to someone ho has more experience than I do.
Thank you so much for the info!! I will be upgrading his light ASAP!! You’d think that in a kit made for chameleons, they’d provide the correct lighting 😂

I don’t have anything to measure humidity or temperature at the moment, but would love some suggestions! You DEFINITELY want to keep an eye on these. A simple hygrometer is VERY crucial so you know you've got the right ambient temps and humidity. Something like this should be fine: https://www.amazon.com/AQUANEAT-Thermometer-Hygrometer-Temperature-Humidity/dp/B0BGLLDS9L/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?crid=SF8EZT0NLXIE&keywords=digital+hydrometer&qid=1699213470&sprefix=digital+hydrometer,aps,133&sr=8-19-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

As for temperature, you want a digital thermometer with a probe that you can zip tie or twist tie to the branch right under his basking light. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2PV2R...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
As far as temperature goes - you want his basking spot to read not any hotter than 80-85 degrees. I'd stick closer to 80 if possible. The hood that came with the chameleon kit is actually still usable for his heat source. Buy a 60w INCANDESCENT bulb - the old kind that still get hot - that's usually perfect for getting the right temps.

His fecal droppings looked ok to me- they were brown with a white and yellow on the end. He has never been tested for parasites that I know of. If you're going to be taking him to the vet, bring a fresh fecal sample with you. You can put it in a baggie and in the fridge but something that's 24 hours or less old is ideal.

I use a screen cage, but I would like to get some sort of plexiglass or something on two sides to keep some more humidity in. I’m just trying to figure out how I’m going to do that. I’ll attach a screenshot of the enclosure and light fixture I’m using; they came together. His lights are on a timer and stay on from about 7am-7pm each day. Unfortunately, this cage is *not* the one you need. Chams need a minimum of 2'x2'x4' enclosure space. WHat you have right now is too small for him and will cause him undue stress. Reptibreeze does make a cage that big. It's their XL version. I think it's on sale right now on Chewy. https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptibreeze-reptile-cage/dp/344870
And here's another *VERY* important part - the lighting that came with the cage is incorrect. Without correct UVB lighting, Kyle will develop what is called Metabolic Bone Disease. MBD is painful and irreversible if left too long. UVB is important for a cham so that they can create D3 in their bodies and properly absorb the calcium that you've so painstakingly made sure you've supplemented with. The spiral light bulb that came with the kit doesn't give the correct UVB. You actually want a linear light. The one I recommend is the Arcadia T5 6% light: https://www.reptilebasics.com/t5-light-fixtures-kits/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-24-with-bulb/ The arcadia is nice because you only have to change the bulb out every 12 months. You would place that diagonal across the top of the cage.
Additionally, you want a separation of 8-9" from the basking light and the UVB light. What this does is put your cham in the correct UVB intensity range, and prevents things like thermal burns, which they can easily get.
As far as keeping better humidity, you can buy a shower curtain, or for my original cage, I used the shrink plastic you can buy to insulate your windows for winter time. Either way, cover the back and two sides with that. Leave the front and top and bottom open for proper airflow.

I would also recommend two other items for the top of the cage: a plant light (I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKKG8Q3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) because you'll want to convert to all live plants (more on that in a moment), and a small computer fan. In order to avoid too much humidity in the cage, you need what's called a "chimney effect." You'll place the fan on the cage such that it sucks air up and out. This allows the cage to dry out between mistings and helps you avoid too much humidity, which is the cause of RIs. I use this one and have no complaints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OWVUJ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don’t currently have any live plants, but I am looking at getting some, so plant suggestions would be cool! I want more fake ones to hang in his enclosure as well because there is a spot toward the back that is pretty empty. You got some plant recommendations above and those are great! The thing with veilds in particular is that sometimes they'll nibble on their plants. Chameleons are insectivores and so no one really knows why they do this, but they do. With fake plants, if Kyle nibbles on one of those, it can create an impaction in his bowels and kill him. I'd remove any fake plants from inside the cage. You CAN use them on the outside for more cover though!

His enclosure is up high on a bookshelf in my bedroom. Only two of us live in the apartment, so the only person he really sees is me and sometimes my boyfriend. I am 5’4 and can barely reach the top of the cage for reference of the height he is up at. High up is GREAT! They're tree-dwellers and height = safety for them. I'd say make sure the top of your cage is at least 6' off the ground, if not more. Good job here!

Finally, I want to point you towards a couple of wonderful resources for Kyle (Haha I REALLY love the name).
https://chameleonacademy.com/veiled-chameleon-care/ - Read through here. It's a wealth of knowledge from one of the most experienced cham keepers out there. Read through it, and ask ANY questions you have here!
https://www.youtube.com/@NeptunetheChameleon - this channel is run by one of the folks on this forum and she breaks down husbandry tips, tricks, and questions in a very easy to understand way. I LOVE her videos!
Take a look at the attachment to this post. Here's a list of vetted cham vets that folks have used. This is a great way to find a vet in your area... I *think* there's one in the northern OH area but I can't remember for sure.
OKay I'm sure I may have missed some things... And I know that's a LOT of information to take in! Please read through it, and whatever you don't understand, myself or the other excellent folks here will gladly clarify. :)
And stand by for the charts I promised. One moment!
I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate all of this information!!! I am pretty new to chameleons and I think I made a lot of errors with my last one that I want to correct for Kyle! And thanks, by the way, I like his name too😂😂 Plastic wrap or a shower curtain for the sides is GENIUS!!! I’m gonna be doing that and also getting a bunch of new stuff for him asap!! I appreciate your help very very much!!!

I can’t even tell you how much I appreciate all of this information!!! I am pretty new to chameleons and I think I made a lot of errors with my last one that I want to correct for Kyle! And thanks, by the way, I like his name too😂😂 Plastic wrap or a shower curtain for the sides is GENIUS!!! I’m gonna be doing that and also getting a bunch of new stuff for him asap!! I appreciate your help very very much!!!
I used a shower curtian until I got my mister scheduled where it needs to be. It works really well

Happy to help! Chameleon Academy has the proper humidity goals for your cham - I can't remember what it is for veileds. But I'd say first and foremost, get a vet appointment if he's pointing his nose up and get that UVB light ASAP. That's probably the most important. A bigger enclosure and live plants I say would be next, with getting those temps/humidity right. You've got this!!

Happy to help! Chameleon Academy has the proper humidity goals for your cham - I can't remember what it is for veileds. But I'd say first and foremost, get a vet appointment if he's pointing his nose up and get that UVB light ASAP. That's probably the most important. A bigger enclosure and live plants I say would be next, with getting those temps/humidity right. You've got this!!
I found a vet nearby that I will be calling tomorrow morning and I’m gonna grab that UVB light in the next few days as well! Thanks again from me and Kyle!

Yeah I am super thankful for everyone on here helping me out!
I love everyone here. They are so non judgmental Lots of other groups online have been known to be….not so nice when others do things differently or make honest mistakes. People here truly want the best for you and your chams and will actually help you rather than make you feel bad about it. I hope you and Kyle stick around!

Back
Top Bottom