New Cham tail

tbird

Hello,

I just got a new new veiled chameleon on Friday. He is approx. 3-5 months old (the pet store didn’t say so I’m just guessing by his size). I got him from a local pet smart. I’m starting to be concerned with his tail. His tip of his tail doesn’t move and when he curls his tail up it sticks out. Is it tail rot? This is my first Cham so I’m def stressing out lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.jpeg
    IMG_0637.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0631.jpeg
    IMG_0631.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0639.jpeg
    IMG_0639.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi there welcome to the forum. Could you try to get a few more clearer pics of the cham and the tail?

Does it look like there is a piece of shed wrapped around the tail end constricting it?

Hi there welcome to the forum. Could you try to get a few more clearer pics of the cham and the tail?

Does it look like there is a piece of shed wrapped around the tail end constricting it?
this was the best I could get. Idk if it is shed but it looks deformed, it’s been like that since I’ve had him.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpeg
    IMG_0652.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0653.jpeg
    IMG_0653.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 48
this was the best I could get. Idk if it is shed but it looks deformed, it’s been like that since I’ve had him.
Ok so good news... The end of the tail is not black from being necrotic and dying off. If you run your finger into the groves do you feel any stuck shed? it almost feels like a very thin paper coating. There may not be any and it may not be a current constriction. There could have been one and it just was on so long that while baby was growing it has miss shaped the end. However I do see another injury further up the tail as well. Baby could have also been nipped at by its cage mates causing injury.
Is it just the tip that does not roll in properly or is it not rolling in from that higher injury spot?

Ok so good news... The end of the tail is not black from being necrotic and dying off. If you run your finger into the groves do you feel any stuck shed? it almost feels like a very thin paper coating. There may not be any and it may not be a current constriction. There could have been one and it just was on so long that while baby was growing it has miss shaped the end. However I do see another injury further up the tail as well. Baby could have also been nipped at by its cage mates causing injury.
Is it just the tip that does not roll in properly or is it not rolling in from that higher injury spot?
it is just the tip that doesn’t curl well. I think it must have been an old constriction as I can’t feel any stuck shed.

it is just the tip that doesn’t curl well. I think it must have been an old constriction as I can’t feel any stuck shed.
Just keep a really close eye on it. If you see it becoming discolored and going black then this means it is necrotic and dying off. If it does not then it is just an old injury so that may be the permanent tail function.

Just keep a really close eye on it. If you see it becoming discolored and going black then this means it is necrotic and dying off. If it does not then it is just an old injury so that may be the permanent tail function.
Okay I will. thanks!

Back
Top Bottom