Any possibility she’s sleeping??

BasilSews

My F Jackson Chameleon (1 1/2 years old) Basil has been chilling in her normal sleeping spot during the day but she looks like she is sleeping.

I know that when it’s light out and they’re “sleeping” it’s a health concern but is there any possible chance she is exhausted?

She lives in a dorm with me and since it’s finals week, I’ve been up a bit later than usual(around 2-4 am) which means I get up later, but the sun wakes her up before I get up. I usually put a blanket over her cage to make sure the light is blocked but sometimes it doesn’t do the trick and she wakes up.

I’m mad at myself for preventing her from sleeping but my dorm is the only place I can study for finals. Today I found her “sleeping” like normal. Her eyes are sunken but her colors are fine. She’ll have black spots on her as if she’s irritated but overall she’s a happy green. The spots go away if I pay enough attention to her.

She’ll wake up just fine but every 5-10 minutes I’ll catch her with her eyes closed. Is it possible she is just sleep deprived and needs to catch a few Zs? I’ve called her primary vet to let him know what’s going on but he hasn’t called back yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6280.jpeg
    IMG_6280.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6281.jpeg
    IMG_6281.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 28
I have no idea about the husbandry for Jackson’s. BUT my veiled guy was doing this and his humidity has been wonky lately. Got his humidity back up and he stopped. It wasn’t like he was sleeping, more like closing his eye for a min or two and squinting.

Hey hey! If you are open to it, lets do a husbandry review and see if there is anything there that could cause concern. Chameleons are easy prey animals, they do not have razor sharp claws, sharp teeth or even super tough skin to help them against a predator. Their best self defense is to see a predator before the predator sees it and then to basically hold perfectly still and continue to go unseen. If a chameleon has its eyes closed during they day that usually means that whatever is going on for them (illness, parasites, stress etc) is so big that they don't care if they basically get eaten or not.

If you see her eyes closed during the day or even think you see her eyes closed I would suggest acting quickly to adjust whatever is going on for her. I would also be concerned with the slightly sunken in eyes.

I'll attach the husbandry review below, if you want to fill it out I'd be more than happy to go over everything for you.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem -

Back
Top Bottom