New chameleon

Thanks a lot i've fed him flies for the first 2 days when he came but i soon learned that they could give him parasites and get him sick which makes sense because they're mostly walking and feeding on trash and animal poo that's why i stopped feeding him flies i did buy mealworms they're pretty easy to find here and i did breed them once before but they're not recommend however i found a local place where i can buy live locusts which are (in the picture that you sent me a while back) a good choice as a main feeder i contacted the place and waiting for a response 👍
Locusts should be a great alternative 👍🏻

I would go ahead and buy the mealworms as well. Something is better than nothing especially when you do not have access like we do to a variety of feeders. Just gutload the mealworms well.

Attachments

• chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
Hey there. Just wondering how you and your chameleon are doing.
Hello there thanks for asking he's doing fine he's eating and drinking well just today i cleaned the bit of blood that's on the tip of his mouth but his front lip is still open is it because he's used to it being like that? And is he going to close it soon?
Also he pooped today i forgot to take a picture of it but that part which tells how much water he's drinking has gotten better it was all yellow the last time but now about a quarter of it is white the other part however is still concerning it's still looking like the last one
But this time i noticed some slime stuff covering the whole thing also i know chameleon poo shouldn't be smelly but i noticed it does have a smell but not when my nose isn't close it
Sorry if i'm getting too into details but i think this information is neccessary about the parasite subject

Hi. Glad you’re both doing well. I doubt that his mouth will ever fully close. He must have had some sort of injury to it is what I would guess. I have to wonder if he was caught in the wild. That would be one way to explain him having injuries and parasites. Keep doing what you’re doing with feeding and hydrating him to build up his strength and health. I’m almost certain that he probably has internal parasites. If you can find a veterinarian who would be willing to test a fecal sample and prescribe the correct medication, he’ll do so much better. Maybe there is a vet who treats birds? Is there a zoo in your area where you could ask one of the keepers where they get treatment for their reptiles? Maybe there’s a university with a veterinary program who you could ask? I really hope you can find someone somewhere to do that. Do continue to keep us updated on how you’re doing. :)

Hi. Glad you’re both doing well. I doubt that his mouth will ever fully close. He must have had some sort of injury to it is what I would guess. I have to wonder if he was caught in the wild. That would be one way to explain him having injuries and parasites. Keep doing what you’re doing with feeding and hydrating him to build up his strength and health. I’m almost certain that he probably has internal parasites. If you can find a veterinarian who would be willing to test a fecal sample and prescribe the correct medication, he’ll do so much better. Maybe there is a vet who treats birds? Is there a zoo in your area where you could ask one of the keepers where they get treatment for their reptiles? Maybe there’s a university with a veterinary program who you could ask? I really hope you can find someone somewhere to do that. Do continue to keep us updated on how you’re doing. :)
Hello there so it's been smooth so far however i took him inside today because of heavy rain also i can kinda convince him to eat fruits because i can move it in my hand and he eats it eventually what fruits do you recommend as kind of a replacement for multi vitamin? I gave him a bit of orange today before searching (i forgot) but it says it's not recommend i hope it's not a big problem

Hello there so it's been smooth so far however i took him inside today because of heavy rain also i can kinda convince him to eat fruits because i can move it in my hand and he eats it eventually what fruits do you recommend as kind of a replacement for multi vitamin? I gave him a bit of orange today before searching (i forgot) but it says it's not recommend i hope it's not a big problem
It's not recommended to feed them ANY fruits - they aren't able to process any of the nutrients the fruits or plants they might eat.

Fruits are definitely a no. Besides not having the ability to properly digest fruit and vegetables, fruit is very high in sugar and not good for them. For vitamins, try the bee pollen and spirulina if you can get them.
All right it's been about 2 months now and he seems to be doing fine however the locust guy probebly forgot about my requiest so i'm thinking about caterpillars which i think i can get what do you think of that for some variety?

All right it's been about 2 months now and he seems to be doing fine however the locust guy probebly forgot about my requiest so i'm thinking about caterpillars which i think i can get what do you think of that for some variety?
From what i remember of the place the caterpillars looked a little something like this i found it in a local lettuce farm

Attachments

• 32bc028c5ef65947c103c38fd22751d0.jpg
    32bc028c5ef65947c103c38fd22751d0.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 4
Kinda turtles and tortoises are easy to find you can find others too from time to time and most people sadly get tricked by the poor products that we have for reptiles
Oh also today my chameleon wanted to get out of his place and was climbing all over the place i hear this is a behavior they do when they don't like their enclosure is that right? The weather has kot been the best these days as well with strong winds and and temp swings everyday as well as rain too

Oh also today my chameleon wanted to get out of his place and was climbing all over the place i hear this is a behavior they do when they don't like their enclosure is that right? The weather has kot been the best these days as well with strong winds and and temp swings everyday as well as rain too
Not always, they show this behavior as well when in search for a mating partner.

Unfortunately turtles and tortoises have different needs than most reptiles. It’s kind of crazy that in such a large city as Dubai you can’t find basic feeder insects or reptile supplements, but it’s all about supply and demand I guess. Have you asked the pets stores if they are able to order live insect feeders? I really do think your best action is to buy or somehow obtain some domesticated roaches, like dubia or discoid and then just breed your own feeders. It’s really simple to do. Have you checked with any zoos? There is a place called The Green Planet that has reptiles and it would definitely be worth calling and asking to speak with one of the reptile keepers and ask if they can help you with finding insect feeders for your chameleon. https://thegreenplanetdubai.com/en/information/contact-us

Unfortunately turtles and tortoises have different needs than most reptiles. It’s kind of crazy that in such a large city as Dubai you can’t find basic feeder insects or reptile supplements, but it’s all about supply and demand I guess. Have you asked the pets stores if they are able to order live insect feeders? I really do think your best action is to buy or somehow obtain some domesticated roaches, like dubia or discoid and then just breed your own feeders. It’s really simple to do. Have you checked with any zoos? There is a place called The Green Planet that has reptiles and it would definitely be worth calling and asking to speak with one of the reptile keepers and ask if they can help you with finding insect feeders for your chameleon. https://thegreenplanetdubai.com/en/information/contact-us
I will thanks also updates he just pooped today and the brown part which used to be all slimy and gooy now looks a lot different and it looks like any normal chameleon poop also i noticed some square shapes in it last time does this mean any thing or is it normal?

Attachments

• 17130839557181676027404841039221.jpg
    17130839557181676027404841039221.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 4
Yes, that looks like a good normal poo. 😃 Square shapes in the poo? I have no idea. Maybe some undigested food?
Idk i'm feeding him mostly mealworms and he ate a locust 3 days ago maybe i'm over thinking it cause i searched about square shapes in a chameleon poop and nothing came up also a quick question because i want to make sure does this type of screen block uvb? I noticed he gets darker when i take him outside but not in his enclosure that's why i'm suspicious about it also direct Sunlight doesn't enter his enclosure until like 9 am i hope that won't be a problem (i take him outside for like an hour in the morning when i'm free)

Attachments

• 17130931235418210254378700336483.jpg
    17130931235418210254378700336483.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 17130931693276175717389668386101.jpg
    17130931693276175717389668386101.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom