Will he still love me :(

Char.claugh

Sometime in the near future I will be joining the army to train as a vet tech which means I will be sent to a barracks to train to be a soldier for 13 weeks. During the 13 weeks I won’t be allowed to have my chameleon with me :( obviously I know he doesn’t love me but in the short time I’ve had him I’ve gained his trust and he sometimes even enjoys using me as his tree. my question is, will he forget me if i don’t see him for 13 weeks? Obviously he would only be getting fed my my mam during this time I just wanna know if I should expect to come back and have to start again.

I'm pretty sure it's been established that chameleons can both recognize their keepers, and retain that memory for some time. The question seems to be how long is their long term memory. Some reptiles (e.g. tortoises) have shown memory lasting up to (IIRC) 18 months. A quick check of Google Scholar doesn't yield anything specifically for chameleons, but I may have missed something, so by all means... I think many here would be interested.

An experiment you might try to keep his memory refreshed: A trick used by bearded dragon keepers to establish trust is to put an article of clothing that smells like the keeper in the enclosure. Were you to wear the same old t-shirt a couple of days (perhaps working out in it a couple times), then tear it into pieces, and ask your mom to periodically put another in (as the old one lost your scent) you might be able to keep your cham's memory refreshed. (Be sure to tell mom not to wash it! :oops:)

I don't know that this will work; like I said, it's an experiment. Not much—if any—downside, though. ;)

I'm pretty sure it's been established that chameleons can both recognize their keepers, and retain that memory for some time. The question seems to be how long is their long term memory. Some reptiles (e.g. tortoises) have shown memory lasting up to (IIRC) 18 months. A quick check of Google Scholar doesn't yield anything specifically for chameleons, but I may have missed something, so by all means... I think many here would be interested.

An experiment you might try to keep his memory refreshed: A trick used by bearded dragon keepers to establish trust is to put an article of clothing that smells like the keeper in the enclosure. Were you to wear the same old t-shirt a couple of days (perhaps working out in it a couple times), then tear it into pieces, and ask your mom to periodically put another in (as the old one lost your scent) you might be able to keep your cham's memory refreshed. (Be sure to tell mom not to wash it! :oops:)

I don't know that this will work; like I said, it's an experiment. Not much—if any—downside, though. ;)
Thankyou :) willing to try anything Ahahah

Sometime in the near future I will be joining the army to train as a vet tech ....
BTW—Thank you for serving.
Do you have any previous training or schooling as a vet tech, or will this be from scratch?
13 weeks sounds intensive; vet tech is usually (IIRC) a 2-year AS or AAS program.

BTW—Thank you for serving.
Do you have any previous training or schooling as a vet tech, or will this be from scratch?
13 weeks sounds intensive; vet tech is usually (IIRC) a 2-year AS or AAS program.
No I’ve literally just left school, the 13 weeks is training in barracks just to be a soldier and learn self defence etc. The vet tech training will be a lot longer but I’ll be allowed him with me then.

I dunno... if he is young he may learn that your mom is the good tree while your gone. Beman knows all three people that live in the house. He has had the most contact with me and my mother. He will allow us to handle him. My daughter he has always been more stand offish with. If she walks into the room he postures.

But with that said... My mother very rarely handles him. Only if I need to get into his cage and he can't be in there. So even with seeing her on a limited basis he still tolerates her. So maybe you will be just fine and come home and nothing will be different. They are all very different in their personalities. :)

I dunno... if he is young he may learn that your mom is the good tree while your gone. Beman knows all three people that live in the house. He has had the most contact with me and my mother. He will allow us to handle him. My daughter he has always been more stand offish with. If she walks into the room he postures.

But with that said... My mother very rarely handles him. Only if I need to get into his cage and he can't be in there. So even with seeing her on a limited basis he still tolerates her. So maybe you will be just fine and come home and nothing will be different. They are all very different in their personalities. :)
He doesn’t actually let my mam handle him, he’ll let her stroke his tail but once he’s had enough he’ll run up my arm. Just gonna keep my fingers crossed it doesn’t change.

He doesn’t actually let my mam handle him, he’ll let her stroke his tail but once he’s had enough he’ll run up my arm. Just gonna keep my fingers crossed it doesn’t change.
It is one of those things where as they mature their personalities can change as well. How old is he now?

If the age the seller gave me was correct he should be 7 months soon.
So with that he will be going into his maturity phase by the time you get back... I would expect a change in personality just based on his age. Then at least if he acts the same you can be relieved but I would prepare for him to be different just based on him maturing.

So with that he will be going into his maturity phase by the time you get back... I would expect a change in personality just based on his age. Then at least if he acts the same you can be relieved but I would prepare for him to be different just based on him maturing.
Yeah I guess all I can do Is stay hopeful that he won’t change all that much while he grows. I could still be here for that though as it could be up to 9 months before I go into training I’ve been told.

Back
Top Bottom