Weight gain

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hi all so Dk is now around 7.5 8 months as I believe. So just wondering if This sounds OK ( obviously different animals, bloodlines food amount etc , so 9th July 11 grams , 3rd Aug 27 grams today 55 grams and 13 inches, he has started eating a bit less this week, not sure if it's because it's getting colder , ( side note ) I only run my basking light 8_2 uvb 8_8 , and I maybe need to up the wattage he also has been going to his sleeping spot around 4.30 ( not sleeping during the day

So he is only 55 grams and 13 inches at 8 months old? Remind me about species?

Got a pic you can share?

Ok

Attachments

• 20231011_144415.jpg
    20231011_144415.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 29
That is really light weight for a Male panther of 8 months. I would expect that weight on more of a 6 month old. Did you get a fecal done?
I'm only going by what I was told, he was only the size of my thumb when I got him , yes I got a fecal done a couple of weeks after getting him and showed a low parasite level for pinworms which was treated and then came back clear

I'm only going by what I was told, he was only the size of my thumb when I got him , yes I got a fecal done a couple of weeks after getting him and showed a low parasite level for pinworms which was treated and then came back clear
Did you do a follow up fecal a few weeks later to ensure the pinworms were totally killed off? They live in cycles. So normally with a parasite you want at least 2 follow up fecals.

A fecal was done low pinworm level shown ,treated twice over a 2 week period then a second test done nothing showing

A fecal was done low pinworm level shown ,treated twice over a 2 week period then a second test done nothing showing
Correct. I would get another fecal and make sure that the pinworms were totally killed off. Parasites when in higher numbers can reduce their growth potential and weight.

Could also be genetic.

Hi @Beman yes so results back showing some pinworms,
Ok kinda what I was worried about. They can pick them back up after treatment if the cage was not cleaned thoroughly. Just because if they lick a plant or branch that happened to have the parasite eggs on it from a fecal a long time ago they can then pick them back up. So the entire cycle starts again.

What was the parasite load? High or low?

So your going to go through treatment for it?
Yes . A member of panther chameleon group recommended a probiotic whilst I did this ( not sure how long I should) the nutribac and benefac recommended don't seem available in the UK, when I Google probiotc vetark Repto boost comes up .

Out of curiosity how do you clean for pin worms? My veiled keeps getting them. Is there a way to sanitize the plants?
Pinworms are easier to get rid of if you have a bare bottom cage.. If bio active then its a different ball game.

Cleaning the plants you can get away with pulling them all and soaking them in dawn and water getting off any debris and fecal. Then rinse extremely well. I bag the pot so I dont deal with soap in it. Make sure you clean the outside of the pot first.

I would do a deep cleaning on the cage https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-3-deep-cleaning.2364/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-4-disinfection.2406/

Yes . A member of panther chameleon group recommended a probiotic whilst I did this ( not sure how long I should) the nutribac and benefac recommended don't seem available in the UK, when I Google probiotc vetark Repto boost comes up .
I dunno about a probiotic. I treated for pinworms. Did not seem to effect Beman in the slightest.

Pinworms are easier to get rid of if you have a bare bottom cage.. If bio active then its a different ball game.

Cleaning the plants you can get away with pulling them all and soaking them in dawn and water getting off any debris and fecal. Then rinse extremely well. I bag the pot so I dont deal with soap in it. Make sure you clean the outside of the pot first.

I would do a deep cleaning on the cage https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-3-deep-cleaning.2364/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/cage-cleaning-•-sanitation-istyt-part-4-disinfection.2406/
Perfect! I suspect my girl may have pinwoms again… thank you!

Back
Top Bottom