using a sirnge frequently?

OOOst16

Established Member
ok so last night my 6 month old male vield got his first does of meds for his pinworms...i got the meds in his mouth that were in a sringe....i then filled it up and put water in it....gave that to him....and he loved it....is saringe watering along with the misting a ok thing 2 do? cause ive been using it and he goes right for it and loves it...hes not dehydrated no orange urate or sunken eyes what so ever. so if you have the time...can u saringe feeding as a primary water sorce along with misting?

ok so last night my 6 month old male vield got his first does of meds for his pinworms...i got the meds in his mouth that were in a sringe....i then filled it up and put water in it....gave that to him....and he loved it....is saringe watering along with the misting a ok thing 2 do? cause ive been using it and he goes right for it and loves it...hes not dehydrated no orange urate or sunken eyes what so ever. so if you have the time...can u saringe feeding as a primary water sorce along with misting?

Yes indeed! A lot of people do that.

fabulas...this way i know for sure ....and i can actualy see him drink....there so secrative about mist drinking!.

I try to get my chams to drink from a syringe. It takes the guesswork out of misting and also improves their opinion of me (no longer the big ugly predator, but bringer of good things)!

Yes, syringe watering is fine - it was the only way I could see Lily drinking. Both Amy and Tommy drink this way too, but not every time it's offered.

Why not just let him drink off he leavs or from your misting system? What are you going to do if you need to go out of town? I would just give him water out of the syringe once in a wile for fun. You dont want him to rely on you hand watering him.

-Clemonde

Im in agreement with Clemonde
Although its neat to have them drink from a syring, its not something you want your chameleon habituated to to the exclusion of more natural drinking behaviours. A syring cant offer much water at once, so potentially takes a lot more effort and time to give enough water, and its harder to find pet sitters.

i understand but im 15 ....my travels arnt that extravigant....not to mention if i do go anywere my mother is a cham lover and she aids to him...but yes i will continue misting....hes just on meds right now ...i want to make sure he hydrated

If its used to large drops from the syringe, it should be a simple matter to setup a dripper now. :)
Good luck with it.

Last edited:
I found putting a plastic cup with a hole in the bottom on top of the mesh cage and filling it with water to be quite successful. I tend to see him drink a couple of times a week.

I got this idea from the book 'Essential Care of Chameleons' and there is also a picture of a chameleon drinking from a water bottle of the type that might be used by a rabbit of a hamster. Apparently they are attracted to the shiny metal nozzle thing. Never got round to trying it out myself though as I've gotten on fine without.

A little off topic, but...

Isn't It syringe... not syring?

Sorry, It just seems like everyone suddenly forgot how to spell.

-Steve

OOOst, take this as an opportunity to get them started on a dripper! That will make it so much easier to get them hydrated. Be glad he will take medication that way, mine only took it from injected buggies.
Its okay, I just thought it was funny that So many people mispelled one word.

-Steve

I don't see why spelling matters if you can still understand what they are saying. However, if you'd like me to get on you about not using an apostrophe in it's, misspelling misspelled, and capitalizing so... *shrugs* :D

Syringe watering is ok but I have a cham who ONLY drinks water this way because that's how the prev owner watered him. It is a pain in the butt to do EVERY day because it takes 15-20 mins until he has had his fill. I wish he would drink water off leaves or use a dripper. I even tried a water bottle which he did drink from once but that was it:(

Back
Top Bottom