Maybe gout? & mouth injury, Help!

NynWitt

Hey, I'm having some weird issues with my cham and I'm not sure what to do. Here is his info, the problem is at the end.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Jackson, male, just over 2 years old. We got him when he was 6 months old
Handling - As often as once a week, commonly a lot less though.
Feeding - Dubia roaches, sometimes crickets, and hornworms. 5-6 smalls every other day for dubias, when we feed crickets it's usually the same. 1 or 2 hornworms a month and when he sheds. We don't gut-load at home, we rely on the supplier we get them from. We get them a dozen or two at a time so there isn't a lot of time between when we get them and when we feed them.
Supplements - He gets Repti Calcium without D3 every feeding. And Reptivite with D3 once a month. I've been thinking of adding Bee Pollen or maybe another supplement to his diet, would this be beneficial?
Watering - He and his cage get hand-misted throughout the day for 1-2 minutes each session. He has a dripper in his cage and he has a fogger that runs throughout the night. During the summer when it's dryer, we run the fogger a little during the day as well. Usually, when we mist his cage he comes up and drinks from the spray bottle and I've seen him drink out of the dripper and the droplets off the plants in his cage.
Fecal Description - Poo is good. White is white and shows he's hydrated and the dark looks like the right consistency. For as long as we've had him, he has never been tested for parasites.
History - He has had a previous burn on his back that is now fully healed and he did lose two spikes from it. The cage setup has since been adjusted. He has had previous issues shedding as well. It usually takes him a week or two to get through one shed. Because of this, we try to keep him extra hydrated, hence the hornworm each shed.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - XL Zoo Med ReptiBreeze screen cage. 24"L x 24"W x 48"H.
Lighting - His heating bulb is a 50W Zilla Day White bulb. His UVB is a Zoo Med T5 HO lamp. Both are on 9am-9pm. At night he has no lights except occasionally our bedroom light stays on an hour later or so.
Temperature - The temperature ranges from 70-75 degrees in his basking spot. And about 65 degrees throughout the rest of his cage. The lowest it gets overnight is between 62-65. We have a thermometer at the front of his cage, as well as one on top nearest his basking spot.
Humidity - Could be better. Low 40 during the day but it's usually around 50, at night it's about 65-70. We use a Zoo Med thermometer and humidity gauge to track it.
Plants - There are multiple live plants. All cham safe, a few pothos plants, one small rubber fig, and a small, I believe, corn plant. They aren't doing the best though so I am planning on getting him new ones soon and possibly a plant light.
Placement - His cage is in my sister and I's bedroom on top of a dresser about 3ft off the ground. It's not the best location but it's the best option we have. It's next to a window but we have a curtain up. We don't have any heating in the upstairs of our house (yay old houses), so during the winter we have a small heater in our room to try and counteract the chill. It's pretty low traffic, just me and my sister and occasionally a sibling or friend. We are only really in our room at night, so there isn't much movement. We haven't noticed any indicators of stress so hopefully where he is is ok.
Location - We live on the northwest coast of the US.

Current Problem:
Ok, so for the last few months, he's been struggling to get his shed off. I (the primary caretaker) have not been home for those months as I was going to school. My brother sent me a photo of him starting his shed in October and when I got home in December he still had shed along his spine. I checked and made sure his spikes were ok and there didn't seem to be any shed actually stuck to them, the shed was stuck along his rib/vertebrae, and with just a little moving my sister and I were able to pop it off where it was stuck and it came right off, no harm done to any of his spikes. It worried me a little bit but it's always taken him longer to get his shed off so I figured it might be ok.
The next day, however, I noticed that his legs looked a little chunky. My brother had been feeding him more than usual so I thought maybe weight gain but then my sister also noticed it and asked if his legs looked swollen. Since both of us noticed I started looking into it and I first thought maybe it was gout from other people's posts. He's on almost a strict roach diet and I read that a high-protein diet is one theory for the cause of gout in chams, so my mom went to get crickets from our local exotic pet store. She talked to someone there and they suggested it might be a hydration issue and recommended putting him in a container of 80-degree water, I had seen this suggestion previously disputed on one of the posts here and didn't want to risk it.
The reason I think it might be gout is 1) the chunky swollen-looking legs and him not being able to move his legs up to itch his shed off, 2) when he is sitting still he isn't using his front claw and is holding really loosely to the branch. 3) he seemed to be acting a little lethargic, not moving around as much as usual and whenever I spray his cage he isn't coming up to the water bottle like normal. He's still showing 1) and 2) but after adjusting the fogger to be on in the daytime and spraying his cage longer each time, he seems to be less lethargic but still not coming up to the water bottle. There have been multiple times while moving around that he would miss a branch or almost grab his own foot causing him to fall a little, each time catching himself with his tail. We've also noticed him using his tail a lot more to get around his cage.
I got thinking the next few days after making a few changes and I'm not sure if it's gout or not so I decided to make a post here and get suggestions. Here are some photos from before we got his shed off as well as the last few days.
409538760_1440873953309620_992972620299090380_n.jpg
411181211_1414545382488964_2742483352306581153_n.jpg
410117031_894862085279644_2584706874107155823_n.jpg
409711666_1746366922513695_5427142716498208477_n.jpg

Next stupid issue. We noticed he was having some serious issues eating his food. Usually, he gets to his dish and immediately starts eating but the last few times he'd go to his dish and sit there staring at his food. Whenever he tried to eat he'd put his whole head all the way in the dish and couldn't shoot his tongue out further than the tip of his horns. After not getting any food he'd keep his head stretched into the dish with his mouth gaping just following the roaches with his eyes. After doing that twice I put my hands in and got him to move away from the bowl.
This worried me, duh, he wasn't using his tongue and he's a chameleon. Anyway, I decided to try and look in his mouth and see if I noticed anything off-putting. I had seen suggestions on how to do it so I got him my hands and tried to gently pinch around his jaw. This boy didn't budge. He didn't even go dark and his eyes got just a little sunken but nowhere near as dark or sunken as he usually does when I bug him. All he did was wiggle around and maneuver out of my grasp. I don't know if maybe I was doing it wrong or if he genuinely just didn't care that I was manhandling him.
I put him back in his cage and decided to try again tomorrow. My sister and I started writing this post and I looked over and saw him hunting down a loose roach in his cage. He tried and failed to shoot his tongue at it. We got a better look at the inside of his mouth but didn't get a picture. We had just looked up possibly hand-feeding chameleons with hurt tongues and I decided to try. Even with the roach wiggling in front of his face, he was hesitant to open his mouth but I was able to feed him one roach. It was a struggle for me because I kept dropping the dang roach right when he'd start opening his mouth and I felt bad for teasing him. It was his bedtime though so I gave up and am going to attempt it again tomorrow.
After seeing a mark on his lip I realized what was up. A few days ago he had tried to eat a loose roach on the bottom of his cage and caught a small piece of wood from the potting soil in his plants in his mount. I was in the room when it happened and saw the piece of wood stick to his lip. It was still there over a day later and I thought since he hadn't eaten that day, he just hadn't spit it out yet. I gently grabbed the tip of it and I allowed him to pull away, I didn't think it would be too bad if I did but now I'm thinking I should have let him get it off himself.
I feel really stupid about it because I've been meaning to re-pot his plants, I know that the soil we have right now isn't what it should be and I've had to use rocks to cover the dirt. I'm not sure if with the spot on his mouth, we have to just wait till it heals and continue hand-feeding him or if the problem might be deeper and that we should just take him to the vet.
Here is a photo of the inside of his mouth and how I was holding him when trying to get his mouth to open.
409548499_2096213774050168_2332797757036665689_n.jpg
410226975_737931917865687_581127595620931945_n.jpg
410773465_910004197519911_1856011440627420583_n.jpg

I know it's a lot but whatever suggestions and advice help. Thank you for reading this whole post!

I’m not going to be any help as I’m still fairly new to chams, but I wanted to say welcome to both of you. You are in a good place and there are some super experienced keepers here that I’m sure will chime in today and give you some advice. Your guy is gorgeous btw! I just love him!

What a handsome fella 😍
I’m not seeing anything concerning and he looks really healthy. Looking at your husbandry I’m also not seeing anything off or alarming.

See my response in bold:

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Jackson, male, just over 2 years old. We got him when he was 6 months old. Amazing!
Handling - As often as once a week, commonly a lot less though. I would recommend not handling him often at all. Chameleons are shy lizards and often stress with handling. Jackson's are especially subject to stress as they do not exhibit the same body language as other chameleons do when stressed. Jackson's tend to hunker down and 'deal with it', other chameleons will gape, maybe try to bite, try to get away, etc to let you know they are not enjoying being handled. My Jackson's will show some darker colors when stressed but I have never seen him gape at me, or try to bite me, and most of the time if handling is necessary, he doesn't even try to get away from me. But he does, as I mentioned, show his darker patches and I've also seen him sink in his eyes a little as well. Just something to be aware of since they don't communicate the same way as say a panther would. They are very subtle communicators. My chams just to give you an idea only get handled when I'm taking them to the vet, when doing a physical check, or if I need to remove them from their enclosure to do some deep cleaning.
Feeding - Dubia roaches, sometimes crickets, and hornworms. 5-6 smalls every other day for dubias, when we feed crickets it's usually the same. 1 or 2 hornworms a month and when he sheds. We don't gut-load at home, we rely on the supplier we get them from. We get them a dozen or two at a time so there isn't a lot of time between when we get them and when we feed them. Fantastic feeding schedule and amount! We've found on here that feeding a lot of dubia might cause gout in some chameleons. I would suggest adding a few other staple feeders to your beautiful guys diet if you can. Some other great feeders are silk worms, bsfl (which are awesome because they also hatch into flys so its basically a 2 for 1), and grasshoppers. I've attached a document with a list of other good feeders that you can include in his diet if you'd like. I would really recommend gut loading your bugs as well. I am not sure who your supplier is but it would be good to know for sure what your bugs are being fed. I feed my bugs on the same days I feed my chameleons. I make the gut load provided on the document I've attached and also include fresh veggies or fruits on the document as well.
Supplements - He gets Repti Calcium without D3 every feeding. And Reptivite with D3 once a month. I've been thinking of adding Bee Pollen or maybe another supplement to his diet, would this be beneficial? Beautiful! I actually put the bee pollen in my gut load for my bugs. Some chameleons developed edema when given bee pollen directly.
Watering - He and his cage get hand-misted throughout the day for 1-2 minutes each session. He has a dripper in his cage and he has a fogger that runs throughout the night. During the summer when it's dryer, we run the fogger a little during the day as well. Usually, when we mist his cage he comes up and drinks from the spray bottle and I've seen him drink out of the dripper and the droplets off the plants in his cage. It sounds to me like you are hand misting, I love hand misting because its more hands on and I feel you can learn more about your chameleon and their behaviors. I would not suggest misting your guy directly (Imagine someone spraying you 2x a day). However, misting his enclosure and specifically the leaves on his plants is fantastic. I love that you have a fogger for him, just make sure that his night time temps are 68 degrees or colder before you fog at night. High humidity and high temps create respiratory infections. That being said, I would not fog during the day. If you need a humidity boost due to low humidity levels in your guys enclosure I would suggest either using his dripper or misting his enclosure.
Fecal Description - Poo is good. White is white and shows he's hydrated and the dark looks like the right consistency. For as long as we've had him, he has never been tested for parasites. That is fantastic!!! If he has not been tested for parasites I would strongly suggest doing this, especially if you are concerned that something may be off. I'd also recommend going a fecal at least once a year on him.
History - He has had a previous burn on his back that is now fully healed and he did lose two spikes from it. The cage setup has since been adjusted. He has had previous issues shedding as well. It usually takes him a week or two to get through one shed. Because of this, we try to keep him extra hydrated, hence the hornworm each shed. Chameleon's are dry shedders, if he is taking a long time to shed then that can be a sign that his humidity levels in his enclosure are too high.

Attachments

• Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 21
Cage Info:
Cage Type - XL Zoo Med ReptiBreeze screen cage. 24"L x 24"W x 48"H. Perfect!!!
Lighting - His heating bulb is a 50W Zilla Day White bulb. His UVB is a Zoo Med T5 HO lamp. Both are on 9am-9pm. At night he has no lights except occasionally our bedroom light stays on an hour later or so. Fantastic!!! Just making sure you are aware of this but you'll want to change his UVB light a minimum of every 6 months.
Temperature - The temperature ranges from 70-75 degrees in his basking spot. And about 65 degrees throughout the rest of his cage. The lowest it gets overnight is between 62-65. We have a thermometer at the front of his cage, as well as one on top nearest his basking spot. Ok I could see where you may be having some issues here, this is a bit too cool for your sweet little dinosaur. His basking branch you will want to be 80 degrees. Reptiles are not able to regulate their body temps on their own and rely on their environment to regulate. If they are too cold they cannot properly function, they cannot properly digest food and will be sluggish. His enclosure day time temps you will want to have a gradient of 76 degrees at the top and 72 degrees at the bottom. At night you want his temps to be no higher than 65 degrees. Jackson's are a montaine species and require a pretty drastic night time drop to get a good nights sleep.
Humidity - Could be better. Low 40 during the day but it's usually around 50, at night it's about 65-70. We use a Zoo Med thermometer and humidity gauge to track it. Humidity during the day is perfect, you do want your enclosure to be able to dry out during the day so that mold and bacteria cannot grow as easily in his enclosure. His humidity at night you will want higher if you can manage that, ideally 80-100%. If you are struggling with humidity levels or temps than wrapping 3 sides of your enclosure to make it a hybrid enclosure would be helpful. I've used shower curtains, window sealing kits and corrugated plastic to accomplish this with my screen enclosure. My favorite to use is the corrugated plastic with the window seal kit on the door. Leave the service panel on the bottom and the top of the enclosure un-covered to create a chimney effect to pull air through the enclosure (you don't want stagnant air)
Plants - There are multiple live plants. All cham safe, a few pothos plants, one small rubber fig, and a small, I believe, corn plant. They aren't doing the best though so I am planning on getting him new ones soon and possibly a plant light. Beautiful, if your plants aren't doing well then I'd suggest getting a plant light. You can find them relatively cheap at WalMart in the plant & garden section, Amazon, or even Pangea Reptiles. If you want the best light ever, I hear the Arcadia Jungle Dawn is a must have :)
Placement - His cage is in my sister and I's bedroom on top of a dresser about 3ft off the ground. It's not the best location but it's the best option we have. It's next to a window but we have a curtain up. We don't have any heating in the upstairs of our house (yay old houses), so during the winter we have a small heater in our room to try and counteract the chill. It's pretty low traffic, just me and my sister and occasionally a sibling or friend. We are only really in our room at night, so there isn't much movement. We haven't noticed any indicators of stress so hopefully where he is is ok. Perfect!!

All in all I'd say your husbandry is spot on apart from the temps during the day. Great job!! Jackson's are a little harder to care for so having a 2 year old really says something about your care for him. I'll attach some resources for you below on more detailed care about Jacksons as well for you to enjoy :)
How to care for a Jackson's chameleon (Chameleon Academy)
If you like to listen to podcasts, the Chameleon Academy has some excellent podcasts on Jackson's
This is the care sheet I use for my guy:
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Care-Summary-Trioceros-jacksonii-xantholophus-2022B.pdf

Current Problem:
Ok, so for the last few months, he's been struggling to get his shed off. I (the primary caretaker) have not been home for those months as I was going to school. My brother sent me a photo of him starting his shed in October and when I got home in December he still had shed along his spine. As I mentioned earlier, this could be due to humidity levels being off, Jackson's day humidity levels should be 40-50% during the day and remember they are dry shedders, unlike snakes and other reptiles. Some chameleons can get some sheds stuck on them occasionally, usually after some time they can get it off on their own or you can use a q-tip to gently dap the stuck shed to get it off. I personally like to wait to let them get it off themselves because I don't want to stress my chams out by jabbing them with a q-tip. I will closely monitor the area for any signs of issues or infections until its off. If the stuck shed is restricting blood flow like on a tail or toes then I will intervene immediately as stuck shed in those areas can restrict blood flow and cause necrosis. I checked and made sure his spikes were ok and there didn't seem to be any shed actually stuck to them, the shed was stuck along his rib/vertebrae, and with just a little moving my sister and I were able to pop it off where it was stuck and it came right off, no harm done to any of his spikes. It worried me a little bit but it's always taken him longer to get his shed off so I figured it might be ok.
The next day, however, I noticed that his legs looked a little chunky. My brother had been feeding him more than usual so I thought maybe weight gain but then my sister also noticed it and asked if his legs looked swollen. Since both of us noticed I started looking into it and I first thought maybe it was gout from other people's posts. He's on almost a strict roach diet and I read that a high-protein diet is one theory for the cause of gout in chams, so my mom went to get crickets from our local exotic pet store. She talked to someone there and they suggested it might be a hydration issue and recommended putting him in a container of 80-degree water, I had seen this suggestion previously disputed on one of the posts here and didn't want to risk it. I do see what you are talking about in his ankle and knee area. Jackson's are known to have hunky-chunky legs, especially their back legs, but your guy does seem to have some swelling in areas that would also lead me to believe he may have gout or maybe arthritis since it seems to be in all his legs. Gout is painful and unfortunately he will need to see an exotic reptile vet with chameleon care experience to be prescribed medication to get rid of it. And as mentioned before, I don't feel Dubia roaches are a good 'all the time staple feeder'. I would add more of a variety or if that's not an option based on where you live, feed him mostly crickets and dubia 1x a week for example. I'll share my feeding schedule below so you can see what I do and maybe edit it for your own needs:

Monday - crickets (3-5)
Wednesday - bsfl (3-5)
Friday - silk worms (3-5)
Saturday - treat bug day - wax worms (2-3) - hand feed these as they are an excellent way to build trust and a positive experience between you and your chameleon

I personally don't feed dubia to my chams anymore because my spouse is terrified of them ( 🤣 ) and I am terrified of my chams getting gout. I did have them a while back though and was sure to only feed them once or twice a week but no more than that.

I'll attach a spreadsheet that has a list of chameleon vets that others on here have used and recommended, if you cannot find a vet near you please let us know and we can see if others on here have any other recommendations closer to your location.

The reason I think it might be gout is 1) the chunky swollen-looking legs and him not being able to move his legs up to itch his shed off, 2) when he is sitting still he isn't using his front claw and is holding really loosely to the branch. 3) he seemed to be acting a little lethargic, not moving around as much as usual and whenever I spray his cage he isn't coming up to the water bottle like normal. He's still showing 1) and 2) but after adjusting the fogger to be on in the daytime and spraying his cage longer each time, he seems to be less lethargic but still not coming up to the water bottle. There have been multiple times while moving around that he would miss a branch or almost grab his own foot causing him to fall a little, each time catching himself with his tail. We've also noticed him using his tail a lot more to get around his cage.
I got thinking the next few days after making a few changes and I'm not sure if it's gout or not so I decided to make a post here and get suggestions. Here are some photos from before we got his shed off as well as the last few days. Good eye and fantastic awareness of your little guy! He is absolutely darling. I've not been able to get on here as often as I would like, my personal life has been a little chaotic the last month or so, I"m going to tag some others here to continue be aware of your guys needs and offer support and advice just in case if I'm not able to get on.

Please let us know what other questions or concerns you have, we are all here because we love chameleons and want to help ❤️

@JacksJill @kinyonga @Beman @MissSkittles

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
I don't have a lot of time but I will go over my concerns quickly. They may be repeats of others comments.

I feed dubias frequently. However my dubia are on a strict low protein diet so that they don't contain compounds that lead to gout. So they get no cat, dog, fish food seeds or nuts. I feed smaller roaches rather than larger, nymphs only. I have a couple colonies so I can control what they are fed.

Plants, plants and more live plants for that cage. He has no cove that I can see in the pictures and the stress is probably beginning to take its toll.

I prefer Repashy LoD to Reptivite. Store it in a cool dry place and be sure your vitamin supplement is still in date. The vitamins can degrade and be useless. Plain calcium doesn't really expire if it stays dry.

Tongue issues can occur for several reasons. Illness, injury or deficiency. Start by treating for vitamin deficiency, see if your vet wants to try antibiotics etc. and hand feed until function returns of possibly the rest of his life.

I will check back later.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - XL Zoo Med ReptiBreeze screen cage. 24"L x 24"W x 48"H. Perfect!!!
Lighting - His heating bulb is a 50W Zilla Day White bulb. His UVB is a Zoo Med T5 HO lamp. Both are on 9am-9pm. At night he has no lights except occasionally our bedroom light stays on an hour later or so. Fantastic!!! Just making sure you are aware of this but you'll want to change his UVB light a minimum of every 6 months.
Temperature - The temperature ranges from 70-75 degrees in his basking spot. And about 65 degrees throughout the rest of his cage. The lowest it gets overnight is between 62-65. We have a thermometer at the front of his cage, as well as one on top nearest his basking spot. Ok I could see where you may be having some issues here, this is a bit too cool for your sweet little dinosaur. His basking branch you will want to be 80 degrees. Reptiles are not able to regulate their body temps on their own and rely on their environment to regulate. If they are too cold they cannot properly function, they cannot properly digest food and will be sluggish. His enclosure day time temps you will want to have a gradient of 76 degrees at the top and 72 degrees at the bottom. At night you want his temps to be no higher than 65 degrees. Jackson's are a montaine species and require a pretty drastic night time drop to get a good nights sleep.
Humidity - Could be better. Low 40 during the day but it's usually around 50, at night it's about 65-70. We use a Zoo Med thermometer and humidity gauge to track it. Humidity during the day is perfect, you do want your enclosure to be able to dry out during the day so that mold and bacteria cannot grow as easily in his enclosure. His humidity at night you will want higher if you can manage that, ideally 80-100%. If you are struggling with humidity levels or temps than wrapping 3 sides of your enclosure to make it a hybrid enclosure would be helpful. I've used shower curtains, window sealing kits and corrugated plastic to accomplish this with my screen enclosure. My favorite to use is the corrugated plastic with the window seal kit on the door. Leave the service panel on the bottom and the top of the enclosure un-covered to create a chimney effect to pull air through the enclosure (you don't want stagnant air)
Plants - There are multiple live plants. All cham safe, a few pothos plants, one small rubber fig, and a small, I believe, corn plant. They aren't doing the best though so I am planning on getting him new ones soon and possibly a plant light. Beautiful, if your plants aren't doing well then I'd suggest getting a plant light. You can find them relatively cheap at WalMart in the plant & garden section, Amazon, or even Pangea Reptiles. If you want the best light ever, I hear the Arcadia Jungle Dawn is a must have :)
Placement - His cage is in my sister and I's bedroom on top of a dresser about 3ft off the ground. It's not the best location but it's the best option we have. It's next to a window but we have a curtain up. We don't have any heating in the upstairs of our house (yay old houses), so during the winter we have a small heater in our room to try and counteract the chill. It's pretty low traffic, just me and my sister and occasionally a sibling or friend. We are only really in our room at night, so there isn't much movement. We haven't noticed any indicators of stress so hopefully where he is is ok. Perfect!!

All in all I'd say your husbandry is spot on apart from the temps during the day. Great job!! Jackson's are a little harder to care for so having a 2 year old really says something about your care for him. I'll attach some resources for you below on more detailed care about Jacksons as well for you to enjoy :)
How to care for a Jackson's chameleon (Chameleon Academy)
If you like to listen to podcasts, the Chameleon Academy has some excellent podcasts on Jackson's
This is the care sheet I use for my guy:
https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Care-Summary-Trioceros-jacksonii-xantholophus-2022B.pdf
Thank you so much for your response! I'll work on getting his day temperatures up, I think I said in the post that our upstairs doesn't have any heating so it's been trial and error getting our room to stay warm in winter. We actually do have three sides covered in plastic! The back side has a jungle design and the two sides have clear plastic tapped down. Is taping them the only way? I've noticed it pulling away a little and it looks like I need to retape it, is that the only option, or are there other ways to hold the plastic down?

I will also start handling him less. Thank you for the Jackson-targeted information, in research it's hard to find things specific for them but I know there's a lot of across-the-board stuff. I will definitely be checking out the podcast!

Current Problem:
Ok, so for the last few months, he's been struggling to get his shed off. I (the primary caretaker) have not been home for those months as I was going to school. My brother sent me a photo of him starting his shed in October and when I got home in December he still had shed along his spine. As I mentioned earlier, this could be due to humidity levels being off, Jackson's day humidity levels should be 40-50% during the day and remember they are dry shedders, unlike snakes and other reptiles. Some chameleons can get some sheds stuck on them occasionally, usually after some time they can get it off on their own or you can use a q-tip to gently dap the stuck shed to get it off. I personally like to wait to let them get it off themselves because I don't want to stress my chams out by jabbing them with a q-tip. I will closely monitor the area for any signs of issues or infections until its off. If the stuck shed is restricting blood flow like on a tail or toes then I will intervene immediately as stuck shed in those areas can restrict blood flow and cause necrosis. I checked and made sure his spikes were ok and there didn't seem to be any shed actually stuck to them, the shed was stuck along his rib/vertebrae, and with just a little moving my sister and I were able to pop it off where it was stuck and it came right off, no harm done to any of his spikes. It worried me a little bit but it's always taken him longer to get his shed off so I figured it might be ok.
The next day, however, I noticed that his legs looked a little chunky. My brother had been feeding him more than usual so I thought maybe weight gain but then my sister also noticed it and asked if his legs looked swollen. Since both of us noticed I started looking into it and I first thought maybe it was gout from other people's posts. He's on almost a strict roach diet and I read that a high-protein diet is one theory for the cause of gout in chams, so my mom went to get crickets from our local exotic pet store. She talked to someone there and they suggested it might be a hydration issue and recommended putting him in a container of 80-degree water, I had seen this suggestion previously disputed on one of the posts here and didn't want to risk it. I do see what you are talking about in his ankle and knee area. Jackson's are known to have hunky-chunky legs, especially their back legs, but your guy does seem to have some swelling in areas that would also lead me to believe he may have gout or maybe arthritis since it seems to be in all his legs. Gout is painful and unfortunately he will need to see an exotic reptile vet with chameleon care experience to be prescribed medication to get rid of it. And as mentioned before, I don't feel Dubia roaches are a good 'all the time staple feeder'. I would add more of a variety or if that's not an option based on where you live, feed him mostly crickets and dubia 1x a week for example. I'll share my feeding schedule below so you can see what I do and maybe edit it for your own needs:

Monday - crickets (3-5)
Wednesday - bsfl (3-5)
Friday - silk worms (3-5)
Saturday - treat bug day - wax worms (2-3) - hand feed these as they are an excellent way to build trust and a positive experience between you and your chameleon

I personally don't feed dubia to my chams anymore because my spouse is terrified of them ( 🤣 ) and I am terrified of my chams getting gout. I did have them a while back though and was sure to only feed them once or twice a week but no more than that.

I'll attach a spreadsheet that has a list of chameleon vets that others on here have used and recommended, if you cannot find a vet near you please let us know and we can see if others on here have any other recommendations closer to your location.

I got thinking the next few days after making a few changes and I'm not sure if it's gout or not so I decided to make a post here and get suggestions. Here are some photos from before we got his shed off as well as the last few days. Good eye and fantastic awareness of your little guy! He is absolutely darling. I've not been able to get on here as often as I would like, my personal life has been a little chaotic the last month or so, I"m going to tag some others here to continue be aware of your guys needs and offer support and advice just in case if I'm not able to get on.

Please let us know what other questions or concerns you have, we are all here because we love chameleons and want to help ❤️

@JacksJill @kinyonga @Beman @MissSkittles
Alright, got it! Less dubia's and more diverse range of food. I'll have to ask what my supplier's gut load is so I can use a similar one at home. They also have a range of cham feeders so I'll be trying them out and seeing what my little guy likes!
You relieved a few of my worries thank you. I'll have to adjust his feeding and see about getting him to the vet. We live in a pretty spread-out area and I have heard of one vet that's ok with exotics but I don't know if they've worked with chams before so I'll have to call and see what they can do for me.

What a handsome fella 😍
I’m not seeing anything concerning and he looks really healthy. Looking at your husbandry I’m also not seeing anything off or alarming.
Thank you! I'm glad to hear that he is looking healthy, I get real worried about this guy when I'm not home so it's comforting to know he's ok.

Thank you so much for your response! I'll work on getting his day temperatures up, I think I said in the post that our upstairs doesn't have any heating so it's been trial and error getting our room to stay warm in winter. We actually do have three sides covered in plastic! The back side has a jungle design and the two sides have clear plastic tapped down. Is taping them the only way? I've noticed it pulling away a little and it looks like I need to retape it, is that the only option, or are there other ways to hold the plastic down?

I will also start handling him less. Thank you for the Jackson-targeted information, in research it's hard to find things specific for them but I know there's a lot of across-the-board stuff. I will definitely be checking out the podcast!
You are very welcome! Ya do what you can to get his temps up in the day time. I understand it being difficult in the winter, my Jackson's is in my basement and I actually use a space heater for my guy as well :). I found that space heaters that allow you to 'program' it to heat the room to a specific temperature is much more helpful. I have his heater on the other side of the room (the room is quite small) and it rotates so hot air does not blow in one direction all day. I also noticed that my enclosure stays warmer with the 2 plant lights I have as well. These are the ones I currently use https://www.pangeareptile.com/products/t5-uvb-light-fixture. You could order 2 and daisy chain them to each other, I would guess that between his UVB light, 2 plant lights and your space heater he will be much warmer. If you do this, just keep a super close eye on his temps for a week or so and make sure you are not heating his enclosure up too much :)

I attached my corrugated plastic with screws that I got at Home Depot. I've also heard of others using command strips.

Back
Top Bottom