Trioceros Perreti breeding

Mike Fisher

Established Member
I've had a mating pair of T. perreti for awhile. I wanted to make sure they were settled in and that I could do well with their husbandry requirements before sharing my findings.

The female arrived with edema so severe that she could not climb. Her feet were so swollen she could not grip branches. She was treated for hypovitaminosis of A and D3 and within two days nearly all symptoms of edema were gone.

The male arrived very healthy and active.

I've heard many warnings about how this species in particular is very sensitive to certain vitamins particularly A and D. I believe that is why the female was so deficient. I believe that she was being under supplemented because of articles published about this. I've had them on my regular feeding/supplimentation schedule as my other montanes and I'm finding their care to be very similar to other species I have kept.

The female has continued to get stronger and can now climb to the top of the enclosure without my fear of her falling.

7 eggs were laid by the female on 5/2/2014. I dug her nesting hole for her because of her uncoordination caused by the vitamin deficiency. She chose the hole I had started for her and was able to successfully bury the eggs and emerge from the nest after which time she has fed voraciously for the last five weeks. All 7 eggs are viable and growing.

She has continued to get stronger and more active. She consumes twice as many feeders as the male.

An indoor mating was observed today.

They are being housed in my standard fully planted screen cages with 4 two minute misting cycles daily and 4 five minute drip cycles daily. They seem to like it a bit warmer than my Kinyongias, so this fall I will be building them a more enclosed habitat to hold in heat better.

So far I really like this species and don't find them difficult to keep at all. They are a very pretty chameleon.

If there are any other keepers or breeders of them in the US, please contact me. Otherwise the plan is to try to get some stock from Europe at the next available opportunity.

Attachments

• perreti12.jpg
    perreti12.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 395
  • perreti8.jpg
    perreti8.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 431
  • perreti10.jpg
    perreti10.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 389
Quick question, how did you bring the females vitamin A levels back to normal?

Normally I mill all my own mineral and vitamin supplements, but I didn't have the time to mill up a whole batch just for her needs and I wanted to get her some help asap. I just did some quick research and settled on Repashy Calcium Plus available at Petco. I used it every feeding for about two weeks and then tapered off to my regular schedule. The difference after a day was huge, then after two days, she looked totally normal. But she still had some coordination problems that were ongoing for about a month. Her coordination and grip were not good enough to put her in a very tall enclosure because of falling hazards. As an example of how bad she was when she arrived, she was grabbing her own face with her swollen feet when she tried to climb. She had edema so bad that if she slipped off of a branch, she would roll.

Two days after supplementation, she had lost two grams in water weight.

She has completely recovered and now can enjoy the full height enclosure.

Mike

Keep all of us posted about your breeding pair of this species. Trioceros perreti as rare as they are in the hobby with you possibly producing two clutches is worth documentation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Mike

Keep all of us posted about your breeding pair of this species. Trioceros perreti as rare as they are in the hobby with you possibly producing two clutches is worth documentation.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Sure thing. Keep your fingers crossed for successful hatching. With this first clutch, there could be problems brought on by the female's condition while gravid. I'm hoping they make it out of the shells ok. I was surprised to find out that they are scarcer than Parsonii in the US. I chose to work with them based on their requirements being similar to other species I've had good success with. Plus I really like all Trioceros. :D

Sure thing. Keep your fingers crossed for successful hatching. With this first clutch, there could be problems brought on by the female's condition while gravid. I'm hoping they make it out of the shells ok. I was surprised to find out that they are scarcer than Parsonii in the US. I chose to work with them based on their requirements being similar to other species I've had good success with. Plus I really like all Trioceros. :D

Mike

I have not seen the actual importation numbers. However during the 1990's, similar to Trioceros quadricornis, Trioceros perreti were abundantly available to purchase in the USA. They were listed as Trioceros wiedersheimi back then though. However now days I am assuming it appears from the lack of conservation of habitat that Trioceros perreti is one of the most rare species to locate in the hobby in the USA. Another point is west Africa is known for not being a stable area to begin with too though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Mike

I have not seen the actual importation numbers. However during the 1990's, similar to Trioceros quadricornis, Trioceros perreti were abundantly available to purchase in the USA. They were listed as Trioceros wiedersheimi back then though. However now days I am assuming it appears from the lack of conservation of habitat that Trioceros perreti is one of the most rare species to locate in the hobby in the USA. Another point is west Africa is known for not being a stable area to begin with too though.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I remember that. Back then I was too smitten with quads to consider a smaller species that didn't even have horns, lol. Thanks for the info!

Mike

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Here you go....second clutch. 9 eggs this time. Laid on 07/08/14. Just over two months from her last deposition. Layed in the fully planted cage, buried in the corner. I never noticed her digging, just saw that she was skinny today.

Attachments

• tperretieggs.jpg
    tperretieggs.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 291
Here you go....second clutch. 9 eggs this time. Laid on 07/08/14. Just over two months from her last deposition. Layed in the fully planted cage, buried in the corner. I never noticed her digging, just saw that she was skinny today.

A big congratulations! Keep me and everyone posted if the eggs hatch.

A big congratulations! Keep me and everyone posted if the eggs hatch.

Thanks, although the chams did all the work, I just supervised.;) The first clutch is still going strong, all fertile. This clutch appeared to be just as good, but two eggs larger. She was huge this time. I nicknamed her "the mothership". With a total of three clutches laid by her this year, (one clutch laid before she was in my care) , I would suspect she might be done making eggs for awhile. She looks none the worse for wear today though.

Thanks, although the chams did all the work, I just supervised.;) The first clutch is still going strong, all fertile. This clutch appeared to be just as good, but two eggs larger. She was huge this time. I nicknamed her "the mothership". With a total of three clutches laid by her this year, (one clutch laid before she was in my care) , I would suspect she might be done making eggs for awhile. She looks none the worse for wear today though.

That is one tough little female Trioceros perreti! Three clutches I would say she could use some R and R.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Photo of the female hanging by her tail. She's been working her way out of her shed all day. The male also had a full body shed today. Weird coincidence I guess. She has plumped back up from her last egg deposition. I don't know how many clutches is typical per season, but I suspect that she could be making another clutch. :eek:

This species can't take a bad photo. Even the females are stunning!

Attachments

• tperreti113.jpg
    tperreti113.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 272
Mike, she is really looking good! Really beautiful species.

Thanks Rodcham! I'm really enjoying working with this species. :) They are such an easy species, and super good disposition. They love hand feeding and are not scared of me or the camera. These are very high on my list of "easy to keep" montanes, if not the top of the list.

First clutch has started hatching 11/8/14 with one out of the shell and one pipped.

Attachments

• tperreti2.jpg
    tperreti2.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 268
Back
Top Bottom