Wild Chameleon eggs. We want to save them.

Francois5

Yesterday my daughter and her cousin were walking on our farm and they saw eggs laying all around on the ground. They investigated and then they found a dried up chameleon near the eggs. It is on a dirt road but not a busy one, it is very unlikely that the chamelion was run over by a car.

But what she wants to do is to see if she can hatch the eggs. But I'm not sure if the eggs will make it. I don't even know how long they were there on the ground. It was laying in direct sunlight. Do you think she can still save the eggs? And if so, what should she do to hatch it?

Yesterday my daughter and her cousin were walking on our farm and they saw eggs laying all around on the ground. They investigated and then they found a dried up chameleon near the eggs. It is on a dirt road but not a busy one, it is very unlikely that the chamelion was run over by a car.

But what she wants to do is to see if she can hatch the eggs. But I'm not sure if the eggs will make it. I don't even know how long they were there on the ground. It was laying in direct sunlight. Do you think she can still save the eggs? And if so, what should she do to hatch it?
Are you able to share a photo of the eggs?

I incubate the eggs by putting them in a plastic Tupperware shoe box with about 3 inches of moist vermiculite and keep them in a closet where the temps with be around 76 degrees. I punch two tiny holes in the lid. To test for moisture, take a fist full of the vermiculite and squeeze it, if no more than a drop or two of water comes out then the moisture level should be okay. Do not turn the eggs as you move them from where they were laid to the container. Lay them in rows about an inch apart in all directions in shallow dents made with your thumb in the vermiculite. Put the lid on and place them in a dark place where the temperature is between 72-78 F. Moisture will form on the sides of the container and underside of the lid. It takes about 8 to 9 months for the eggs to hatch. It they are not fertile they will mold over in a couple of weeks. If they were in the direct sun they may not hatch but you can try.

What country are the eggs in? Do you know what species it might be?
Chances are they will be dried out by the time you get them set up..but I’d try anyway.

Are you able to share a photo of the eggs?
IMG_20240324_104310.jpg

I hope you have some success with hatching the eggs. It sounds like the poor momma did her best but passed before she could bury them. I don’t know how many months it will take, but I do hope you’ll remember to keep us updated. @kinyonga can maybe give you some sort of estimate on time and how to tell if the eggs are not good.

I hope you have some success with hatching the eggs. It sounds like the poor momma did her best but passed before she could bury them. I don’t know how many months it will take, but I do hope you’ll remember to keep us updated. @kinyonga can maybe give you some sort of estimate on time and how to tell if the eggs are not good.
I think the ground is too hard to dig. We have turf. So we think that she layd the eggs and tried to dig but couldn't.

But I will keep you all updated. I'm now going to get the eggs. I think I know we're to put them. One thing I don't think we have a plastic tupperware shoe box. What else can I use?

I think the ground is too hard to dig. We have turf. So we think that she layd the eggs and tried to dig but couldn't.
That’s what I think too…and she may have had no choice to look for another spot…may have known she was dying. Poor thing.

Any plastic type container would work. You need vermiculite too…it’s hard to incubate them on soil. I’ll look for pictures and instructions for you.

One alternative would be to bury them in the ground…but that might not work because she didn’t chose the site…and you might not chose right…if you know what I mean.

I have bad news.😔 I can't save them all the eggs are dried up and the ants made holes in all the eggs shells.
But thank you for all your advice, so next time I know what to do. Thank you have a nice day.

Back
Top Bottom