New chameleon grandma with questions!

So my 13yr old grandson brings home a chameleon from the pet store and since my daughter is not allowed pets in her apartment (yes, even caged ones) it came to my house. Of course, it's female. He never does anything the easier way. Lol. He brought along a cage bought at the same pet store that I could tell immediately was grossly lacking what was necessary for a healthy, well, anything.
I am not a reptile person! I've had the usual animals up to this point; dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, mice, rats even a pig. But they have all been warm blooded mammals. So I started doing some research. That's when I figured out it was a female. Her name is Mary Jane (MJ for short). I have no clue of her age but she is about 6 1/2" from tip to tip. She also shed a few days after she got here. I am in the process of building her a cage with lots of live plants. The cage dimensions will be 5'Hx3.5'Wx2'D. 4' HO UVB as well as a basking bulb. I have approximately 15 plants waiting to go in. My husband is building me a misting system that I can control from an app on my phone. And I will add a nesting box that can stay in the enclosure.
1000002852.jpg

Current enclosure
1000002952.jpg

Ok, questions:

Does the new enclosure sound adequate through adulthood?

Do I need anything else?

Most importantly, could she be ready to lay already? I've noticed her explore her cage during the day and once or twice walking on the bottom. But the last 2 mornings, she was very close to the bottom of the cage. Could she be looking for a place to lay?

Thank you so much for any advice you can give.

Gramma

What a cutie patootie!!! Your cage size sounds good. Minimum for an adult is 2x2x4. Get a probe thermometer so you can measure temperature at the basking spot. What strength is your UVB? I would remove the net as it can catch on her little nails. Add lots more branches (you can use real ones from outside just no sap producing ones). And I’ll attach a list of safe live plants. Make sure you use the veiled tested ones as they are plant munchers!! I’ll also attach a feeder and gutload list.

You are on the right track and in a great place for advice. I’ll let others chime in on the female specific things.

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpeg
    IMG_0343.jpeg
    766.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0334.jpeg
    IMG_0334.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0335.jpeg
    IMG_0335.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 7
Get a probe thermometer so you can measure temperature at the basking spot.
I have one. The temp is 80⁰

What strength is your UVB?
I am still on the hunt for this. I realized yesterday I bought the wrong one. It was a direct wire and I need a plug-in. For now I'm using whatever came in the enclosure kit my daughter bought. When u say strength do u mean lumens? I'm looking for a 5000-5500 lumens.

A few better pics of MJ. This seams to be her "resting" color. She gets beautiful black markings when she's upset. U know, "You're beautiful when you're angry" I try to keep everything as calm as possible in her room and we try not to disturb her much. She's only been here 8 days.

1000002958.jpg
1000002957.jpg

I have one. The temp is 80⁰

I am still on the hunt for this. I realized yesterday I bought the wrong one. It was a direct wire and I need a plug-in. For now I'm using whatever came in the enclosure kit my daughter bought. When u say strength do u mean lumens? I'm looking for a 5000-5500 lumens.
Ok so on the end of the bulb it was say something like 6%,10%,5.0 or 10.0. This is the UVB strength. You want a T5 HO linear fixture and the bulb should be 5.0 or 6%

Hi and welcome! This is wonderful and I just love your involvement and care for your grandson’s little green alien. 🥰 If you haven’t already found https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ it is the most current standards of care and just an amazing place for learning so very much. Your little cutie is a piebald, or translucent, which is why she has the little pink arms. She doesn’t look old enough yet for laying eggs…she doesn’t yet have her big girl colors. This will help go thru the laying process and all. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/veiled-chameleon-laying-101.2488/ You’ve got a little bit of time yet for that though. You will want to replace all of the artificial plants with safe live ones. Our veiled friends like to nibble their plants and the fake ones can cause bowel obstruction if eaten. I’m excited to see the beautiful home you’ll be making for her. Oh…this is another blog that will be helpful…on building trust. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/ If you have any questions, just ask. :)

Hi and welcome! I think it’s so sweet that you not only took in this little cutie, but that you are doing everything you can to make sure it has a great life! Everyone here is so helpful I’m glad you found the forums 💚☺️

Bless your heart Gramma! Welcome to the amazing world of chameleons. I am so happy you found this forum. Looks to me like she is 4-5 months old! Perfect age to assure she gets a good start in life. You are going to want to get a timer strip. 12 hours on 12 hours off. I try to aline mine with the sun. You are on the right track with getting proper lighting and heat. Humidity is also important and supplements. Calcium without d3 daily. You can lightly dust the live crickets and/or worms. Then twice a month reptivite with d3. The vitamin A is very important for their eyes. Also no heat at night. Just make sure the room temp doesn’t drop below 50-55. Beman can do an enclosure check for you. She is so knowledgeable. Thank you for stepping up for your grandson. You are fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom