Please check to see if there are rotten eggs in her stomach!

Chxi

This is a female panther chameleon, estimated to be eight months old. She mated on October 17 and laid her first egg on November 5. I promise I provided her with a proper birthing room, but perhaps because it was her first time laying, she just laid one egg at a time on a branch.

Until the last leaking egg was laid on November 26. She has not been eating for a long time now, so I took her to the most professional veterinarian I could find, who said he had never seen this before and could not guarantee if there were broken eggs in his stomach. Just suggested that I give her calcium and force-feed her.

I am very worried and hope that someone with relevant experience or knowledge can help me take a look at this X-ray and provide some valuable advice. Thank you so much !!!!

The above is translated text, if the interesting expression is not in place, please ask me questions.
dd71995ea6f6d5af98766c7a84fa5688.jpeg

@MissSkittles @JacksJill @jannb
Thank you very much for your speculations and suggestions.Although I do not want peritonitis to happen, but after reading @jannb post, I guess itis very likely that an egg has broken.
I am going to find a place to do an ultrasound and follow your advice to add some antibiotics to her mix in the water filled with calcium powder that the pet doctor advised me to feed her.
May I ask if the result of ultrasound is really rupture, what other means can I remedy?
Oh, and this is a picture of her last egg production three days ago, and the eggs have gone bad.
Is it possible that she has finished laying eggs and just needs time to regain her appetite? Although this is only a benign expectation.
6CE52E8D-C308-4B89-A6AD-6BD6496D61E1.jpeg

You said…”I am going to find a place to do an ultrasound and follow your advice to add some antibiotics to her mix in the water filled with calcium powder that the pet doctor advised me to feed her”…I would not add antibiotics to her water…it doesn’t give you control over how much antibiotic she gets. The vet advised to add calcium powder to the water? Why?

I'm not a vet…but it will likely be that she will need to be spayed if she retained eggs…no matter if they are ruptured or not. You need a good chameleon vet….IMHO.

You said…”I am going to find a place to do an ultrasound and follow your advice to add some antibiotics to her mix in the water filled with calcium powder that the pet doctor advised me to feed her”…I would not add antibiotics to her water…it doesn’t give you control over how much antibiotic she gets. The vet advised to add calcium powder to the water? Why?

I'm not a vet…but it will likely be that she will need to be spayed if she retained eggs…no matter if they are ruptured or not. You need a good chameleon vet….IMHO.
Because the vet thinks she has very little strength, and the lack of strength will affect her normal discharge. So I was advised to take a calcium supplement. If it refuses to eat, feed it liquid calcium or calcium powder mixed with water.

While calcium plays a part in muscle health, if she’s suffering from infection from broken eggs, I doubt calcium will help. I don’t think it will hurt her though…as long as you’re not overdoing the vitamin D supplement….but, remember I’m not a vet and can only offer my best guess.

The liquid calcium is a better option IMHO because it is easier to control the amount she’s getting.

She really needs to see a good chameleon vet and have this sorted out before she becomes to weak to survive.

Did the rest of he eggs she dropped look like the one in the photo? Do you have any photos of them?

While calcium plays a part in muscle health, if she’s suffering from infection from broken eggs, I doubt calcium will help. I don’t think it will hurt her though…as long as you’re not overdoing the vitamin D supplement….but, remember I’m not a vet and can only offer my best guess.

The liquid calcium is a better option IMHO because it is easier to control the amount she’s getting.

She really needs to see a good chameleon vet and have this sorted out before she becomes to weak to survive.

Did the rest of he eggs she dropped look like the one in the photo? Do you have any photos of them?
The egg on the right of the image above is the last egg to be laid, there are three such eggs, sorry there are no other photos. How do I know if it has an infection from broken eggs? Does it need an ultrasound to be sure? I really hope it's just a poor post-partum appetite. Is that possible? He's eating about two subadult crickets a day.
This is yesterday's poop.
8E42A1C9-4185-441D-9210-C3E16AA1C81D.jpeg

I'm sad. I don't want it to die. But I've tried to find the best veterinarian I can, and we're generally inexperienced here. I don't know if there is a veterinarian can see a doctor online, do you have a recommendation?
Thank you very much

I'm sad. I don't want it to die. But I've tried to find the best veterinarian I can, and we're generally inexperienced here. I don't know if there is a veterinarian can see a doctor online, do you have a recommendation?
Thank you very much

Where do you live? I might be able to recommend a good chameleon vet.

Back
Top Bottom