This may be a stupid question...

Jimmy Filth

is it normal for a veiled cham to bask with it's mouth open???

I swear, she never basked until after her shed this morning, now she seems to be doing nothing but that.

Although, she has eaten post shed.

it's on a thermostat control with a probe sitting near to where she basks, it's set at 32 degrees celsius, and she's sitting about 3 inches from it, but not directly underneath it.

what's the best temp???

Yeah, your basking spot is about 10 degrees too warm. She is too young to have temps in the high 80's.

When she gets older is okay to have the 32C degrees, but, if you are not planning on mating her, I would keep the temps in the low 80's for the rest of her life to decrease her chances of producing clutches.

yes fill that out and we can help better, but her baksing may be too warm. Just too hard to say w/ little info. good luck and we will try to help.

Yeah, your basking spot is about 10 degrees too warm. She is too young to have temps in the high 80's.

When she gets older is okay to have the 32C degrees, but, if you are not planning on mating her, I would keep the temps in the low 80's for the rest of her life to decrease her chances of producing clutches.

I agree! Keep the temps low if not planning to breed. I keep my adult female 80 or 81 so she want make eggs and shorten her life.

I do not use or recommend basking lights for a chameleon that young.
I don't use them for females at any age unless they are being bred/cycling eggs.

-Brad

filled out that help thingy, but it's taking an age to upload.

I live in quite a cold climate, so I'm worried it would get too cold without a lamp. We had a few hot days, and with the thermostat set at around 32 it was rarely on at all.

turned the stat down and she's closed her mouth.

I am also in the UK and would agree that it would be too cold and windy most of the time to not have any basking heat. I thought that they needed to get their bodies to a certain temperature to properly digest their food. Brad, how do you get around this?

it won't let me upload the 'ask for help' things for some reason. It must be my dodgy internet connection. I'll try again when it's working

it won't let me upload the 'ask for help' things for some reason. It must be my dodgy internet connection. I'll try again when it's working

Try to copy and paste it into the post then you can fill it out from there. That's what I did when I had to fill it out before.

I am also in the UK and would agree that it would be too cold and windy most of the time to not have any basking heat. I thought that they needed to get their bodies to a certain temperature to properly digest their food. Brad, how do you get around this?

He probably lives somewhere warm, or heats his home (or at least the room the chameleon is in) .

Copy and paste the text below into your post then you can fill in your cham's info.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
* Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

Back
Top Bottom