Think Lily's Poorly!

Lily Latest

The vets visit this evening went ok. He gave her a shot of Baytril, although I think he is just covering all options. I took a poop sample for testing and he's going to phone me with the results tomorrow. Lily was weighed and is 200g, but he said that the fact that she's chunky is actually in her favour at the moment. I'm not sure quite what her weight should be. Her hydration also isn't much of a concern to him, so that's good.

The vet wanted to look inside her mouth, so he pulled her gular while holding her casque and she was not impressed! Lily does have an attitude after all!:D She gaped and showed colours that I've not seen before and walked up to my shoulder still gaping! He said her mouth is a little pale, but I think she may have been a bit stressed by that point! When he injected her she even did the vibration thing and I've never felt her do that before either.

She has been much the same today although she's been more active and wanting to come out - she spent ages asleep on top of my head this afternoon. I know she's ill and shouldn't be sleeping in the day but it was still very cute.

So, until tomorrow I can't tell you much more than that at the moment.

The vets visit this evening went ok. He gave her a shot of Baytril, although I think he is just covering all options. I took a poop sample for testing and he's going to phone me with the results tomorrow. Lily was weighed and is 200g, but he said that the fact that she's chunky is actually in her favour at the moment. I'm not sure quite what her weight should be. Her hydration also isn't much of a concern to him, so that's good.

The vet wanted to look inside her mouth, so he pulled her gular while holding her casque and she was not impressed! Lily does have an attitude after all!:D She gaped and showed colours that I've not seen before and walked up to my shoulder still gaping! He said her mouth is a little pale, but I think she may have been a bit stressed by that point! When he injected her she even did the vibration thing and I've never felt her do that before either.

She has been much the same today although she's been more active and wanting to come out - she spent ages asleep on top of my head this afternoon. I know she's ill and shouldn't be sleeping in the day but it was still very cute.

So, until tomorrow I can't tell you much more than that at the moment.

How big is she snout to vent? 200gs is a LOT of weight for a female.

My female is 90gs when loaded with eggs.

Females are smaller than male by a decent amount... Fred is a total fatty and he is 246g. I have cut back his food intake.

IMG_9804.jpg

Here is Jake...He is 248. He is very thin and a bit larger than Fred as far as overall size.

IMG_9802.jpg

and this is Caddie.. just after laying her clutch of 43 eggs. she is smaller than some females.... but I still think 200g is high for Lily.

IMG_9240.jpg

Hey there's my Girl!!!! It's been a while since I have had a look at Caddie... Looks like she is doing great! She always was a petite girl.

It's great to hear that the Vet visits are getting somewhere... I am anxious to hear what the Fecal shows.

Update!

The vet phoned me this morning and told me that thereare worm eggs in the fecal sample. Lily has to go back for worm treatment in the morning. He will inject her rather than me having to force meds into her mouth. I will get more info about the worms tomorrow. I am now hoping it is the worms causing the trouble as they should be treatable, shouldn't they?

Summoner - Lily is 7 inches snout to vent. I will attempt to weigh her later. Just going to shower her to help with the shed!

The vet phoned me this morning and told me that thereare worm eggs in the fecal sample. Lily has to go back for worm treatment in the morning. He will inject her rather than me having to force meds into her mouth. I will get more info about the worms tomorrow. I am now hoping it is the worms causing the trouble as they should be treatable, shouldn't they?

Summoner - Lily is 7 inches snout to vent. I will attempt to weigh her later. Just going to shower her to help with the shed!

This has got to be the issue... I had a feeling a parasite was involved.

Thats quite good news... well, you know what i mean... at least there is a possible reason for Lily being off colour

I hope you are able to breathe a little easier now Tiff, even if it is just a little bit.

Once this is all sorted i bet she is going to love not having to leave the house or your garden for a while :D

*Hope you dont mind me asking the question here but how would Lily have gotten the worms?*

*Hope you dont mind me asking the question here but how would Lily have gotten the worms?*

She could have eaten a fly while outside sunbathing or she could have picked something up from a feeder. I don't really know how/where she got them! But, yes, I'm hoping that we've found the cause of her illness. At least the worms can be treated. I'm so glad I took a poop sample with me now! Fingers crossed that with worming treatment she will make a full recovery. Then she's going on a diet!:D

What kind of parasite does she have?

What kind of feeders do you use? Can you get a hold of Horn worms? HWs are GREAT for greeting for the more basic parasites that can be defeated by panacur. You just need a needle and a steady hand and don't mind how the worm will ooz some green liquid :D

7" and near 200g is on the heavy side....I would just watch her diet more... I feed my female every other day or sometimes I cut back to every two days.

I'll ask tomorrow what kind they are. Don't think we can get hornworms here in the UK - like you can't get locusts in the us. Something about them being pests. I can get some silkworms though. The vet is going to inject the worm treatment so at least I don't have the worry of trying to administer it!

Good news on getting the diagnosis for Lily...at least now you can get the treatment for her and on the road to recovery:)Oh and thanks for the tips on the laying bin...(again!):D

My panther chameleon was treated for worms twice and he is still here to tell the tale! Let's hope that is all she has wrong with her!

We had a herp vet give a talk to our group and though she specializes in Bearded Dragons, she told us there was no way that reptiles can catch pin worms from crickets. It will be interesting to see what Lily has. No offense to your husbandry skills but is there any chance she could have ingested her own feces?

We had a herp vet give a talk to our group and though she specializes in Bearded Dragons, she told us there was no way that reptiles can catch pin worms from crickets. It will be interesting to see what Lily has. No offense to your husbandry skills but is there any chance she could have ingested her own feces?

That is interesting... I would be interested to hear her explanation. I was always told, even when I was keeping Beardies, to use caution who you bought from, as crickets can carry pin worms and other nasty parasites like Coccidia. It just always made sense to me that if a feeder was kept in a nasty environment, it could carry any kind of bacteria or parasites that might be thriving with the crickets...on to the chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom