EYE Trouble

So how much should she take in? She had Maybe half a syringe and then I held her face to the leaves after misting so she could drink as much as she wanted and kinda snuck some bug juice in at the same time.

Also new uv

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 13
So how much should she take in? She had Maybe half a syringe and then I held her face to the leaves after misting so she could drink as much as she wanted and kinda snuck some bug juice in at the same time.

Also new uv
The vet usually recommends 2-3 mL but I’m not for sure with the age and size of your Cham though. What do you think @Beman.
I really like the improvements you’re making, all the changes will help her recovery tremendously plus give her the correct husbandry once she’s healed to keep her happy and healthy. I hope you keep us all updated on her, I’m excited to see photos of her when she is doing better!

The vet usually recommends 2-3 mL but I’m not for sure with the age and size of your Cham though. What do you think @Beman.
I really like the improvements you’re making, all the changes will help her recovery tremendously plus give her the correct husbandry once she’s healed to keep her happy and healthy. I hope you keep us all updated on her, I’m excited to see photos of her when she is doing better!
Ok thanks. Just fed her again - few ml . Looks like I have to mist leaves and put her face on them to get her to start tasting. Another 30 minute feeding session.!wish me luck

I personally would not be force feeding more than once a day... This is going to cause a lot of stress for a compromised chameleon. As she just got the new UVB this will take a few days for the cham to respond to the correct UVB lighting.

You want to keep offering very small feeders no larger than 1/4 of an inch in size. Best way to do this is with a feeder run. And then you can attach it to the inside of the cage near a branch a bit higher up so it is where she is spending most of her time and will see it. Here is the link to make your own. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/
I would add 2 dozen small crickets to it and let the movement entice her.

I personally would not be force feeding more than once a day... This is going to cause a lot of stress for a compromised chameleon. As she just got the new UVB this will take a few days for the cham to respond to the correct UVB lighting.

You want to keep offering very small feeders no larger than 1/4 of an inch in size. Best way to do this is with a feeder run. And then you can attach it to the inside of the cage near a branch a bit higher up so it is where she is spending most of her time and will see it. Here is the link to make your own. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/
I would add 2 dozen small crickets to it and let the movement entice her.
Ok I will try it hopefully she opens an eye and sees it

Won’t this let crickets free roam cage and bite her ?
Possibly, watch very closely for some time to see if she will react and try to eat if she shows no interest from the vision loss and the crickets begin biting this can’t be the option. Their aren’t many options for her size so attempting to let her eat in the feeder run is worth the try if it doesn’t work and you see no signs of improvement syringe feeding is really the only option here which is probably why the vet recommended it.

Won’t this let crickets free roam cage and bite her ?
Not if you are putting them in a feeder run... one or two may jump out but if you follow the instructions crickets tend to mellow once in the run and are not able to get out easily. You put vines up close to it so she can get really close to them to target the insects. But this is far better than trying to cup feed or free roam feed a young chameleon. Even a healthy young chameleon will benefit from a feeder run. And this way you can track how many go missing.

You will already be force feeding her. So it does not hurt to try to get her to eat on her own. And honestly you want them to eat on their own you do not want to have to continue to force feed. Too many things can go wrong force feeding an adult cham much less one this small.

Update-

The past 2 days she’s been opening her eyes a little more and seems more and more as days go on.

She still has not eatin by my knowledge as I started leaving her feeder cup in there yesterday. She is showing that she can see us at times because now she is back to turning away or moving away like before I guess.

Big thing I noticed was yesterday and today she is drinking a ton of water I guess to rehydrate.

Saw her tremble or shake a couple times and arch her back.

Have been giving her bug juice when I can but she still has not had solids so she is getting skinny quickly.

Pooped this morning brown poop (kinda slimy) and beigish white urate.

I really think baby needs to be checked for parasites. Do you still have this morning’s poo? If so, can you get it to your vet today? You can keep it in fridge for a day if needed.

Update-
She was still not eating and dehydrated so i took her back to a different exotic vet. They gave her fluids, b12, deworming meds to give once a month and antibiotics for respiritory infection daily injections for 5 days. Will keep updated

Update-
She was still not eating and dehydrated so i took her back to a different exotic vet. They gave her fluids, b12, deworming meds to give once a month and antibiotics for respiritory infection daily injections for 5 days. Will keep updated
Was a fecal actually tested though to verify the need for parasite meds? I ask this because not all parasites respond to the same meds. So you could be mediating using the wrong medication. What medication did they give you as a deworming?

If fecal test was done and they recommended a deworming medication I would follow what was instructed. If you know your vet is qualified stick to what they have told you it is logical to do that and not to overthink in this time of stress.
I’m sure the professionals prescribed the correct medication and keep faith/follow what you were instructed by the professional.
We here on this forum can do a lot of things to drastically help caring for chameleons, giving more stress by telling you to worry about what medications were prescribed is a little over the line. Follow the professional advice on medications they don’t prescribe specific medications like that by guessing if your vet is qualified they wouldn’t give even an educated guess on what meds to use to remedy a parasitic infection, this is prescribed depending on what parasites are found in the fecal matter after they view the results!
I hope she is doing well and please keep us updated.

Last edited:
If fecal test was done and they recommended a deworming medication I would follow what was instructed. If you know your vet is qualified stick to what they have told you it is logical to do that and not to overthink in this time of stress.
I’m sure the professionals prescribed the correct medication and keep faith/follow what you were instructed by the professional.
We here on this forum can do a lot of things to drastically help caring for chameleons, giving more stress by telling you to worry about what medications were prescribed is a little over the line. Follow the professional advice on medications they don’t prescribe specific medications like that by guessing if your vet is qualified they wouldn’t give even an educated guess on what meds to use to remedy a parasitic infection, this is prescribed depending on what parasites are found in the fecal matter after they view the results!
I hope she is doing well and please keep us updated.
A lot of reptile vets don't specialize in chameleons, and there are many instances of them prescribing a blanket dewormer that won't even work for the parasites the cham might have. That's why Beman asked about it - so, SO many vets have recommended things that could harm/kill chameleons in the past. That's why we're cautious.

Back
Top Bottom