Pygmy Chameleons?

blubudgie

Hi!

I would like to get a chameleon, but space is an issue for me so I decided a pygmy chameleon would be a good idea. I have a snake, but otherwise I'm new to chameleon-keeping. From what I've read though, it doesn't seem terribly difficult. I was just hoping to get some more info from you guys.
What kind of enclosure is good? I was thinking of the 12x12x18 exoterra mini/tall, but then I also read somewhere that pygmies don't actually climb too high and horizontal space is better? So maybe a 10 gallon?
Also what kind of substrate should I use? I have cypress mulch for my snake, would I be able to use that?
Then for uv lighting, any light bulb recommendations? I have an extra 50w basking lamp I can put a non-heating lamp in.
And finally for food, is gut-loading necessary or can I dust the insects with supplements?
Oh also, fake plants or real ones?

thank you!

Hi!

From what I've read though, it doesn't seem terribly difficult. I was just hoping to get some more info from you guys.
What kind of enclosure is good? I was thinking of the 12x12x18 exoterra mini/tall, but then I also read somewhere that pygmies don't actually climb too high and horizontal space is better? So maybe a 10 gallon?
Also what kind of substrate should I use? I have cypress mulch for my snake, would I be able to use that?
Then for uv lighting, any light bulb recommendations? I have an extra 50w basking lamp I can put a non-heating lamp in.
And finally for food, is gut-loading necessary or can I dust the insects with supplements?
Oh also, fake plants or real ones?

thank you!

The main issue with pygmies is that most are wildcaught imports of unknown age, and they have very short lives. Hard to tell if you end up with an older cham that won't survive very long. Also, detecting signs of health problems before its too late to help. If you are new to chams its going to be a big learning curve. And, pygmies are tiny, so difficult to treat if its necessary.

I would not put anything in a 10 gallon. It is actually easier to provide the varying micro climates even pygmies will want in a larger space. Besides, giving them more choices where to climb, drink, hunt, rest, etc. means you have more active chams (which is a main reason we like keeping them). IMHO life in a 10 gallon anything is pretty restricted and dull.

Definitely gutload your insects...relying on dusting only is tricky and can easily lead to overdoses of some vitamins and minerals...especially in such a small species.

I think you'll find live plants will help a lot with air quality and relative humidity in a fairly closed setup. If you want more foliage "coverage" a few fakes in specific dimmer spots are fine. I'm not sure if your tiny feeders will just escape to hide more easily in the cypress mulch versus another substrate or not. Haven't used it.

The main issue with pygmies is that most are wildcaught imports of unknown age, and they have very short lives. Hard to tell if you end up with an older cham that won't survive very long. Also, detecting signs of health problems before its too late to help. If you are new to chams its going to be a big learning curve. And, pygmies are tiny, so difficult to treat if its necessary.

I would not put anything in a 10 gallon. It is actually easier to provide the varying micro climates even pygmies will want in a larger space. Besides, giving them more choices where to climb, drink, hunt, rest, etc. means you have more active chams (which is a main reason we like keeping them). IMHO life in a 10 gallon anything is pretty restricted and dull.

Definitely gutload your insects...relying on dusting only is tricky and can easily lead to overdoses of some vitamins and minerals...especially in such a small species.

I think you'll find live plants will help a lot with air quality and relative humidity in a fairly closed setup. If you want more foliage "coverage" a few fakes in specific dimmer spots are fine. I'm not sure if your tiny feeders will just escape to hide more easily in the cypress mulch versus another substrate or not. Haven't used it.

Do you know of a place I could order online that guarantees captive born rather than wild caught? I don't really believe in importing wild animals so I'd rather not buy those. I've called two reptile stores around me already and neither of them have any.

The link kdc sent me said 5 gallons was minimum, what size do you recommend? I could also do the 12x12x18 mini/tall or 12x12x12 mini/wide from exoterra.

And about feeding chameleons, do I have to leave the insects in the tank or can I grab them and feed the chameleon by hand/tongs?
Is there an article on here about gutloading?

thank you!

Do you know of a place I could order online that guarantees captive born rather than wild caught? I don't really believe in importing wild animals so I'd rather not buy those. I've called two reptile stores around me already and neither of them have any.

The link kdc sent me said 5 gallons was minimum, what size do you recommend? I could also do the 12x12x18 mini/tall or 12x12x12 mini/wide from exoterra.

And about feeding chameleons, do I have to leave the insects in the tank or can I grab them and feed the chameleon by hand/tongs?
Is there an article on here about gutloading?

thank you!

The link I provided from the forums says something along the lines of 5 gallons of space per pygmy. Meaning they can be housed together. So if you have 3 that would be a 15 gallon enclosure. 5 is too small for a single. I agree with Carlton. A larger enclosure will ensure a temperature gradient for these guys who are temp sensitive.

We will soon have some CB brevs available, they are not old enough yet however.

The link I provided from the forums says something along the lines of 5 gallons of space per pygmy. Meaning they can be housed together. So if you have 3 that would be a 15 gallon enclosure. 5 is too small for a single. I agree with Carlton. A larger enclosure will ensure a temperature gradient for these guys who are temp sensitive.

We will soon have some CB brevs available, they are not old enough yet however.
Where are you located? O:
I'm not looking to get one immediately, I can wait a few months. I'm new to chameleon keeping so I want to make sure I have all the info down first.
Uhm, so what size enclosure would you recommend? I know someone selling their old exoterra mini tall for $30. Is that big enough? The exo terra catalogue says it's a good fit for a pygmy.
What kind of temperature gradient do they need? I read they don't need a heat lamp and prefer 70's temp. For the tall cages would the top half be like high 70s and the floor be lower?
Thanks for the help guys.

Back
Top Bottom