Making a Terrarium

Jaimy

Hi everyone, i’m making a terrarium background and in the future I want this to be the home to a panther chameleon. This is the sixth terrarium that i’m making so i am not completely new to this process, but i’m a bit stuck rn. I’m not sure what to do for the background. I did a wall of tile grout to make it rock-ish, but to really sell it I would have to paint it. What kind of paint is reptile safe? I read acrylic, but I would like some second opinions. This is a XL Reptibreeze btw. Also planning on making is bio-active like all my terrariums.

The stick placement also looks a bit weird to me (Don’t worry is also have a lot of very thin sticks for the cham to walk on, their just not in the terrarium rn cause that would be a pain to sculpt in between.).

Anyone have nice plant recommendations? I’m planning on using pothos, philodendron, monstera and maybe polka dot plant?

I’m leaving the other two walls open, cause obviously the door needs to be open, and I want more natural light (also the humidity can get to high otherwise).

I’ll be using Arcadia T5 6% uvb, 65w white heat bulb, I got a mistking, maybe want to add a light for the plants but not sure yet. Repti calcium without D3 standard feeding and arcadia revitalised D3 twice a month. Can someone tell me if bee pollen is good also?
3B91A184-699F-4222-85BB-C33117FA118E.jpeg

Attachments

• 819F7BD5-4AD2-4B40-914D-37F32CB6A8F8.jpeg
    819F7BD5-4AD2-4B40-914D-37F32CB6A8F8.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 9
  • E049AC65-4502-46FA-B0B9-C8030E7DF7CC.jpeg
    E049AC65-4502-46FA-B0B9-C8030E7DF7CC.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 9
  • C124F0F3-4664-415D-89E8-2569478CDD26.jpeg
    C124F0F3-4664-415D-89E8-2569478CDD26.jpeg
    404.2 KB · Views: 9
What size enclosure is this? Looks like the 18x18x36.

Whatever you do you really want to seal it. With the amount of moisture we pump into these set ups you do not want the side walls to degrade on you? Did you mount the foam and tile grout direct to the screen or did you lay in a piece of plastic egg crate to support it?

I don’t know anything about building these things but it looks good so far. I just hope this is a 24x24x48 or it will be too small.

What size enclosure is this? Looks like the 18x18x36.

Whatever you do you really want to seal it. With the amount of moisture we pump into these set ups you do not want the side walls to degrade on you? Did you mount the foam and tile grout direct to the screen or did you lay in a piece of plastic egg crate to support it?
Like I said in my post, this is a reptibreeze XL so its 24"x24"x48” the proper size for a cham. There is a layer foam with silicone (water proof/animal safe silicone.) and tile grout so it is water proof, but also that was not a problem I state in my post. Behind the foam layer there is styrofoam plates.

Like I said in my post, this is a reptibreeze XL so its 24"x24"x48” the proper size for a cham. There is a layer foam with silicone (water proof/animal safe silicone.) and tile grout so it is water proof, but also that was not a problem I state in my post. Behind the foam layer there is styrofoam plates.
Ok it did not look like you had added silicone to anything... my apologies for missing you saying XL...

You seem like your frustrated with my response... So I will let others help you.

Ok it did not look like you had added silicone to anything... my apologies for missing you saying XL...

You seem like your frustrated with my response... So I will let others help you.
Yes, that would be because it’s clear and behind the tile grout and foam for added grip, excuse me I didn’t mean to add any “tone” in my response , English is not my first language. Just wanted to redirect the conversation to the questions asked.

Yes, that would be because it’s clear and behind the tile grout and foam for added grip, excuse me I didn’t mean to add any “tone” in my response , English is not my first language. Just wanted to redirect the conversation to the questions asked.
I have seen people use acrylic paint and then use a clear silicone on top to seal it. If that is helpful. I have also seen people use clear flex seal to paint on over the acrylic paints. Flex seal also makes colors so that may be helpful for you. Not sure if they only make it in the paint on version or if it is in the spray only version. But this water proofs it and would be safe after a week or too of gassing off.

I am glad you used the backing. I have seen in the past when attached directly to the screen it actually will pull away over time.

I have seen people use acrylic paint and then use a clear silicone on top to seal it. If that is helpful. I have also seen people use clear flex seal to paint on over the acrylic paints. Flex seal also makes colors so that may be helpful for you. Not sure if they only make it in the paint on version or if it is in the spray only version. But this water proofs it and would be safe after a week or too of gassing off.

I am glad you used the backing. I have seen in the past when attached directly to the screen it actually will pull away over time.
Thats really helpful thanks! I’ll check that out. Do people actually add the foam directly to the cage wall? That would be so messy omg

Thats really helpful thanks! I’ll check that out. Do people actually add the foam directly to the cage wall? That would be so messy omg
Yeah lol I have seen it done... then they shave it off the outside of the screen. But it almost always will detach and pull in with the weight.

Back
Top Bottom