"pre-packaged" no thanks/headache >must read!<

KiloTheChameleon

So guys and gals of smexy Chameleon owners AROUND THE GOLBE,
Happy weekend and Happy Saturday.

Today I went to Petco, Kilo had NO crickets/mealworms... So I got him his suppliment (w/out D3 finally:D )I got Rep-Cal Herptitive with beta carotene, is that good for Kilo (veild Cham, male aprox. 1 year)

my point of this post those

Here's how my walk into petco went

*walks through doors with my Mini Pinscher*
*walks to cricket container*

Marry, a 65 year old women working at petco is dealing with 4 other customers, asking what they need. Some are purchasing reptiles and fish. Then Marry asks me

Marry: "what do you need, Hun?"
Me: "I need 50 Large crickets please"
Marry: "there are prepackaged crickets in the front of the store"
Me: "I switched from Petsmart to Petco for the quality of YOUR crickets. I refuse to buy prepackaged crickets, thats why I'm standing here, at the cricket storage bin."
Marry: "We just opened 2 hours ago and I packaged 5 bags of 50 crickets"
Me: "AND I TOLD YOU I WANT 50 CRICKETS FRESH OUT OF THE BIN. THE PREPACKAGE CRICKETS HAVE BEEN SITTING IN A BAG, DYING WITH NO FOOD. HALF ARE DEAD, HALF ARE GREY AND DEAD LOOKING. PLEASE GIVE ME 50 LARGE CRICKETS"
Marry, the 65 year old women, : *Sucks her teeth*

Me: "OH H E DOUBLE HOCKET STICKS NO YOU DIDNT. I want your manager"

So i got my crickets, i spoke to the manager who did not understand my concerns, thus I called the 1-800 number and the district manager and I are planning a meeting at Petco, where I will confront them and explain WHY the coustomer is right and will be getting crickets for free for quite somee time now.

The point of me posting this is A & B.

A. We ONLY truly want the best, BEST, BEST for our little guys/girls, so why argue with us when we KNOW what we want...?

B. Stand up for yourself, if you KNOW something STICK TO IT! I knew I was 'bullied' and 'underminded' in this situation, so I went above their hands.

ANYTIME YOU HAVE A PROBLEM THAT WASNT RESVOLVED AT THE PETSTORE, CONTACT THE 1-800 NUMBER FOR SURE! MANAGERS CAN BE DUMB, FOR THE LACK OF A BETTER MORE ACCOMODATING WORD!

Thank you guys, please share any experiences/thoughts.

P:S: I didnt over react did I, I whole heartidly could never buy "prepackaged" crickets for my Chameleon... It just seemed so wrong... was I right do you think?

***ALSO I reread this 2 or 3 times and dont think I swore, if anyone finds any foul language, please inbox me so I can correct it. I am still upset over this lady and her teeth sucking!! MIND YOU I'm 21, so that was rediculas!

What does pre-packaged entail? You do realize that petco is shipped crickets packaged, right? I can understand your concern, but honestly it sounds like you overreacted to me.

yes i Understand all crickets are shipped in, but in my mind I'm saying

A. Crickets in a bin, with food their knowingly "natural habitat"
VS.
B. crickets in a fish bag with no food,water not active, some are dead, they're small and missing legs. Not to mention the bottom of the bag is covered in cricket poo poo

I honestly thought I was doin the right thing there too :\

reguardless, she should understand the customer is right.

What does pre-packaged entail? You do realize that petco is shipped crickets packaged, right? I can understand your concern, but honestly it sounds like you overreacted to me.
hah yeah, I think you wen't a little overboard on that old lady. You gotta think she could be retired right now but she's still working. Plus she had 4 other customers. Thankfully i've never worked retail, but I couldn't imagine.

She may of came off rude because she's, well you know...she's old man.

My local petco has the "Pre-Packed" crickets. All they do is throw 10, 20, 40, crickets in each bag so you can just pick them up and take them to the counter. I usually grab one 40 and one 20. Usually they'll be a few dead ones but I can care less. When you order 1,000 + you'll come across this aswell, which is why there are dead ones. Because petco orders allot. And you gutload crickets anyways so whatever they've been eating they poop it out and get the good stuff :D

And as snowveil mentioned, thats how petco gets crickets shipped to them anyways. So if you want a "fresh" cricket you'd have to go outside and catch some lol. Or start your own colony.

I agree, I would have waited no problem, The crickets in the prepackaged bags were just so dead, and lifeless.. I wouldn't want to feed my chameleon half dead circkets, i buy them then gut load them for them to die in their holder. no thanks!

you guys may no see my point in this and I respect you saying I over reacted, but when it comes to my Chameleon and the prices of him, his cage, his food. I want exactly what I want, not what they want to give me. And then to expect me to buy 50 crickets at 14Cent a peice, so I'm paying for 10+ dead crickets? No!!!

There were plenty of other people, she was the one working the reptile station, she was in charge of crickets!

Once this women sucked her teeth at me, I was done being nice and explaining myself.

I have worked retail for over 5 years, I went to school to become a massage therapist at 19, because I was FED UP with retail and being trated poorly (I never argued with customers and gave them exactly what they wanted, even if they were wrong) The point of working retail is to smile and HELP the customer with WHAT they WANT!

Again, i really appricate your insight, I'm not trying to sound rude, mean or bossy. I just wanted others insight into what happend today. I may of over re-acted, yes, but I over reacted for my Chameleon!

hah yeah, I think you wen't a little overboard on that old lady. You gotta think she could be retired right now but she's still working. Plus she had 4 other customers. Thankfully i've never worked retail, but I couldn't imagine.

She may of came off rude because she's, well you know...she's old man.

My local petco has the "Pre-Packed" crickets. All they do is throw 10, 20, 40, crickets in each bag so you can just pick them up and take them to the counter. I usually grab one 40 and one 20.

And as snowveil mentioned, thats how petco gets crickets shipped to them anyways. So if you want a "fresh" cricket you'd have to go outside and catch some lol. Or start your own colony.

That's cool, I'm not trying to hound you or anything....if they were mostly dead I'd probably ask the same too.

I've worked retail for about a decade now and have found usually the customers with the biggest complaints have the smallest issues, so my qualm is more an issue with tact than cricket quality. A little politeness goes a long way, especially if you plan on being a repeat customer....no sense in making them want to ignore you every time you come in the store.

That's cool, I'm not trying to hound you or anything....if they were mostly dead I'd probably ask the same too.

I've worked retail for about a decade now and have found usually the customers with the biggest complaints have the smallest issues, so my qualm is more an issue with tact than cricket quality. A little politeness goes a long way, especially if you plan on being a repeat customer....no sense in making them want to ignore you every time you come in the store.

I agree with you there. I was trying to be kind. I am a massage therapist, so I'm always smiling, because I never know who is gonna be my next potental client. Once she sucked her teeth at me, it was done being kind.

I understand that my issue is small, and I'm making a big deal and an ever larger complaint with managment. I just think its stupid and quite rediculas. If those crickets in the bag were all alive and healthy, I'd take them.

The reason that I decided to call, was these 2 straws that broke the camles back.

a.) I hand counted the "50 crickets" of only 35.

b.) they arent large, they're small crickets! They make this poor little squeek noise, not like the adult fully grown crickets. (I was charged for Large crickets though :) )

I do not think you were over reacting. I refuse to buy crickets that have been sitting in a bag with no food, water, or fresh air. I worked at Petsmart for almost three years and I know that the crickets come shipped in boxes. The boxes have mesh panels to allow for air flow. As far as I am concerned, no matter how many customers you have, teeth sucking or any other action that shows your customers that you are annoyed is not acceptable. If what the customer wants (like dusting crickets when you bag them up) is against store policy explain that but if not suck it up and do what the customer wants. Just my opinion as a customer and someone who worked in retail for many years..
Virginia

I do not think you were over reacting. I refuse to buy crickets that have been sitting in a bag with no food, water, or fresh air. I worked at Petsmart for almost three years and I know that the crickets come shipped in boxes. The boxes have mesh panels to allow for air flow. As far as I am concerned, no matter how many customers you have, teeth sucking or any other action that shows your customers that you are annoyed is not acceptable. If what the customer wants (like dusting crickets when you bag them up) is against store policy explain that but if not suck it up and do what the customer wants. Just my opinion as a customer and someone who worked in retail for many years..
Virginia

Virginia,

I love the people at petsmart, so kind always spoiling my puppy when i bring him in with treats and attention. But their quality of crickets is soo poor. (in my cities store) I have bought 50 crickets from them twice, both times I lost 10-20 crickets, once i got Petcos, not a SINGLE ONE has died EVER! I gutload them on Orange cubes and carrots (Should be more I know, but i make up for it in herptivite, once summer is here and veggies are chapers and easily more avialable I will load up!)

I was kind until the teeth sucking, I expect that to happen at McDonalds, Tacobell any kind of fast-paced enviroment, thats OK, I understand that you're dealing with hundreds of people an hour, I'll be gone in 3 minutes so I dont care. but when you're face to face standing there next to someone, no register or counter seperating us; shes lucky I'm not an older women, because I would have helped her suck on her teeth a little more easier.
just an FYI, I told her to finish up with her customers after she explained about how "she bagged them this morning [did you bag up dead ones on purpose?]"

Haha i just got mad again >.< My multiple personalities is catching up!

What exactly does it mean to "suck her teeth"?

Oh, and I'll only buy the bagged crickets if I'm really in a hurry. I will most of the time but the bin crickets.

What exactly does it mean to "suck her teeth"?

Oh, and I'll only buy the bagged crickets if I'm really in a hurry. I will most of the time but the bin crickets.

its like sighing or rolling your eyes in someones face, like going to spit, but sucking in air instead, it makes this loud annoying sucking sound, its popular in the mid-west and east cost as far as I've noticed.

have never seen/herd anyone do it from down south or the west coast, luckys.. haha. I could of delt with an eye roll, but the teeth sucking.. ugh!!

It sounds like someone is trying to suck a food particle out between a gap in their tooth! thats the best explaination.

Virginia,

I love the people at petsmart, so kind always spoiling my puppy when i bring him in with treats and attention. But their quality of crickets is soo poor. (in my cities store) I have bought 50 crickets from them twice, both times I lost 10-20 crickets, once i got Petcos, not a SINGLE ONE has died EVER! I gutload them on Orange cubes and carrots (Should be more I know, but i make up for it in herptivite, once summer is here and veggies are chapers and easily more avialable I will load up!)

I was kind until the teeth sucking, I expect that to happen at McDonalds, Tacobell any kind of fast-paced enviroment, thats OK, I understand that you're dealing with hundreds of people an hour, I'll be gone in 3 minutes so I dont care. but when you're face to face standing there next to someone, no register or counter seperating us; shes lucky I'm not an older women, because I would have helped her suck on her teeth a little more easier.
just an FYI, I told her to finish up with her customers after she explained about how "she bagged them this morning [did you bag up dead ones on purpose?]"

Haha i just got mad again >.< My multiple personalities is catching up!
To be honest I don't buy from either petco or petsmart. I go to a mom and pop place and have been very happy with their crickets... No matter where I am at I expect to be treated with respect. Even if it is at McDonald's. I am hard headed enough to refuse to go back to a business if I am treated rudely no matter how good a product they have. I might not be so hard headed if there were not several pet stores close to where I live. lol
I am no where near 21....no where near 65 either I might add...lol Age, old or young, is not an excuse to be rude... just my opinion..

I think you kinda overreacted. I mean she's an old lady, and she had 4 other customers too. And as for her teeth sucking it could have been just a habit.. some people have nervous ticks and stuff like that is just habit.

Sometimes people don't come off as you expect them to and it sets you off. But the way you described it, it kinda sounds like you were ready to argue with her as soon as she suggested the prebagged crickets.

I have worked in retail and in fast food, and I know everyone says "customers always right" but that's not exactly true. I'm the kind of person who does my best to make everyone's day or at least be friendly to everyone, but even I don't believe that the customer's always right.
And you don't know what kind of day she's having or what stresses she's dealing with right now, so biting her head off is IMHO an over reaction.

Anyways.. I agree about prepackaged crickets because they are bit properly fed/watered and don't have proper airflow and 90% of the time you pay more for less crickets that way. Its happened to me. But pet smart has always been good to me for things like that, and that's why I keep going back.

No matter where I am at I expect to be treated with respect. Even if it is at McDonald's. I am hard headed enough to refuse to go back to a business if I am treated rudely no matter how good a product they have. I might not be so hard headed if there were not several pet stores close to where I live. lol
I am no where near 21....no where near 65 either I might add...lol Age, old or young, is not an excuse to be rude... just my opinion..

I agree. When I worked at McDonalds, I always treated my customers with respect. Always apologized for things that weren't my fault, always gave them what they wanted. And I was the one who got yelled at cussed at things thrown at me almost on a daily basis. But the customers attitudes really help with the whole respect thing. The customers who repeatedly abused me didn't get as sincere how are you's and have a good day's. But I can pride myself in saying that I have only ever been called rude once, and the customers who witnessed said that I wasn't rude so it didn't even really matter.

I think you kinda overreacted. I mean she's an old lady, and she had 4 other customers too. And as for her teeth sucking it could have been just a habit.. some people have nervous ticks and stuff like that is just habit.

Sometimes people don't come off as you expect them to and it sets you off. But the way you described it, it kinda sounds like you were ready to argue with her as soon as she suggested the prebagged crickets.

I have worked in retail and in fast food, and I know everyone says "customers always right" but that's not exactly true. I'm the kind of person who does my best to make everyone's day or at least be friendly to everyone, but even I don't believe that the customer's always right.
And you don't know what kind of day she's having or what stresses she's dealing with right now, so biting her head off is IMHO an over reaction.

Anyways.. I agree about prepackaged crickets because they are bit properly fed/watered and don't have proper airflow and 90% of the time you pay more for less crickets that way. Its happened to me. But pet smart has always been good to me for things like that, and that's why I keep going back.

I understand, her teeth sucking was not a tick or a stressful reoccuring act, she sucked her teeth in complete disrespect. If I wanted the pre-packaged crickets, I would have taken them. Souly just by me saying "I need 50 crickets" should of been [in her mind] 'ok i need to count 50 crickets' not try and slow jam and avoid doing your actual job.

I've legit gone to petco and had a lady tell me shes scared of crickets, ok no problem, we joked and talked a bit and became friends acutally (she wasnt working today, sadly) I actually get the crickets and count them in front of her (so she doesnt get in trouble)

Again, I've worked retail, resturants and I'm a LMT (licensed Massage Therapist) I have to respect everyone and anyone, even if someone asks me for a happy ending, I have to respect them, because I need my paycheck. With that being said, I'm like 50% disagreeing your you Squeekz! I love ya and we always agree and I've read alot of insightful things on the forum from you (thank you) also thank you for your reply, again let me repeat it, I'm not looking to argue or fight! We are all souly here for our Chameleons!!!

I can agree I may of over-reacted after the teeth sucking, but how many times do i have to explain why i WANT the crickets in the bin. If she would of just listened to me and udnerstood what I wanted in the first place, I could have thanked her and we both would of had a GREAT DAY!

Now, I'm the only one having a great day, getting free crickets for some time, havent herd back on when my free crickets would end though !

ha! I mean I was pretty mad, really mad....

OMG OMG
I LEFT KILOS CAGE DOOR OPEN AND HES CRAWLING TOWARDS ME!!!

HUGE BREAK THROUGH!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!

-- he ended up only coming out looking around and going back to his cage, but still! I hope soon he will crawl to me :)

To be honest I don't buy from either petco or petsmart. I go to a mom and pop place and have been very happy with their crickets... No matter where I am at I expect to be treated with respect. Even if it is at McDonald's. I am hard headed enough to refuse to go back to a business if I am treated rudely no matter how good a product they have. I might not be so hard headed if there were not several pet stores close to where I live. lol

I wish we had mom and pop places in Worcester, Ma! I respect your views on customer serive, whole heartidly! never at ANY time should a employee become upset/frusterated with a customer!

I also will refuse to return if its any worst than this.. This was over crickets, not like I caused a huge scene, just had to get my point across!!!

Your age is simply Fierce!!! I only included my age and hers to show you that disrespct can happen any way, what if I was 65 and she was 21, would that of made me more "right" in some of your eyes?

Seems like a lot of negative from this encounter over bugs....:(

you're telling me... My BF thinks I'm crazy, I might be.... But my point in this was at what level I'm willing to go to provide for my chemeleon, as i said i NO LONGER go to petsmart, so I'm hoping she was just having a bad day!

Ya I get what you are saying. I mean I wasn't there so I can't really judge:) I just hate conflict lol.
Lol yay kilo:)

Hell, just say hell when you mean it. If your upset enough to say "H E Double Hockey Sticks!" then just say "Hell!" and get it over with :D

Sorry, but that kind of thing really bugs me...

Personally, if I reacted that way as a customer in a place of business, it would be with the complete intention of never ever going back to that place. Retail employees have ways of getting their own back.

Anyway, I hope that having gotten it off your chest that you can now let it go and live on in your normally happy mood :)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom