Please help if possible!

Hiii Beppo, quick question has your chameleon shown any signs of stress with the gnat infestation?
I haven't noticed him seeming stressed about the gnats, I usually only see one scraggler in there usually.. they've dispersed throughout my house and other enclosures 😆 but no he doest seem to he showing stress over them

I haven't noticed him seeming stressed about the gnats, I usually only see one scraggler in there usually.. they've dispersed throughout my house and other enclosures 😆 but no he doest seem to he showing stress over them
TY! I feel like it was definitely a stressor for mine as there was a whole swarm inside her enclosure 😭 I pulled some plants out of there and spritz the roots with hydrogen peroxide to prevent further rotting , rinsed, repotted & just left them outside for now in the meantime until I get the bigger enclosure all setup & the two umbrella trees I left inside and I’m just waiting for the soil to completely to dry out & raised them up, so she has more privacy. it definitely helped a lot, but I couldn’t wait two months, they were literally swarming everywhere plus I have a collection of live plants as well, but only two of them had soil, the others I have in leca (clay aggregate) & water 😭

Note.... Hibiscus are great... I have two of them in Beman's cage. but you have to have a high powered light like a jungle dawn LED bar or sansi for them to bloom.

Gnats are in the soil... In literally any plant you buy and any bag of potting soil. Organic or not they have them. Moisture build up and inadequate drainage in the pots make them worse. Buying a Katchy to put in the room near the cage can help. I always see a 2-3 month period of gnats anytime I get a brand new plants to pot and add. You can get the clay balls for bioactive and put a 1 inch layer in the bottom of your pots then add a piece of screen between the balls and the soil. This will help with drainage so the roots are not overly wet. Most chams do not have an issue with them. Some will even attempt to eat them.

A fun way to help with soil gnats in your enclosure is to hatch out a mantis ooth. The baby mantids will eat the gnats and your chameleon will have fun hunting down the mantids. Or you could hatch out the ooth in a container and daily release some mantids in the enclosure so that they (mantids) don’t all get devoured at once. Don’t get fancy mantis ooths - save those to be pets. I get mine from e bay, but there is a mantis vendor as a forum sponsor.

A fun way to help with soil gnats in your enclosure is to hatch out a mantis ooth. The baby mantids will eat the gnats and your chameleon will have fun hunting down the mantids. Or you could hatch out the ooth in a container and daily release some mantids in the enclosure so that they (mantids) don’t all get devoured at once. Don’t get fancy mantis ooths - save those to be pets. I get mine from e bay, but there is a mantis vendor as a forum sponsor.
I’ve been wondering about trying that!

TY! I feel like it was definitely a stressor for mine as there was a whole swarm inside her enclosure 😭 I pulled some plants out of there and spritz the roots with hydrogen peroxide to prevent further rotting , rinsed, repotted & just left them outside for now in the meantime until I get the bigger enclosure all setup & the two umbrella trees I left inside and I’m just waiting for the soil to completely to dry out & raised them up, so she has more privacy. it definitely helped a lot, but I couldn’t wait two months, they were literally swarming everywhere plus I have a collection of live plants as well, but only two of them had soil, the others I have in leca (clay aggregate) & water 😭
Yeah I could totally see that if there's a bunch. It always feels so much better to correct things like that... and then on t the next 😭🤣

Hey
Note.... Hibiscus are great... I have two of them in Beman's cage. but you have to have a high powered light like a jungle dawn LED bar or sansi for them to bloom.

Gnats are in the soil... In literally any plant you buy and any bag of potting soil. Organic or not they have them. Moisture build up and inadequate drainage in the pots make them worse. Buying a Katchy to put in the room near the cage can help. I always see a 2-3 month period of gnats anytime I get a brand new plants to pot and add. You can get the clay balls for bioactive and put a 1 inch layer in the bottom of your pots then add a piece of screen between the balls and the soil. This will help with drainage so the roots are not overly wet. Most chams do not have an issue with them. Some will even attempt to eat them.
Hey Beman! Taking Yoshi to the vet today, but I noticed she’s been a a darker green these past few days, but when I first got her she was light green. Is this completely normal?

Attachments

• 34880F7B-2A85-4E92-94F9-18BC8587646D.jpeg
    34880F7B-2A85-4E92-94F9-18BC8587646D.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 48
  • DE52DF16-1874-4C0C-A29B-4804217A215F.jpeg
    DE52DF16-1874-4C0C-A29B-4804217A215F.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom