New Chameleon Questions

She’s hiding right now but when she comes out, I will get some. Supplements the calcium without d3 every feeding and reptivite have given one time (twice per month) so far. It’s been a struggle with the lights. The t5 5.0 ubv bc I have seen so much diff info on where to put it. I did have it like 6 inches above the enclosure at first and then moved it directly on top. I can move it, or the branches, anything you think. The branch is about 7-8 inches from the ubv and heat lamp which I’ll post a pic of also. The pic of her is when I first got her. She’s not a big fan of me coming around just yet so I try to leave her be as much as possible.
sorry can’t offer any advice as I’m currently learning from the good people on this forum too, but you are a step ahead of me with regards to being up and running and I’d say your doing a good job and obviously a caring person, too many people get these things and plod on with no duty of care just thinking they know best, so it’s good you ask the questions and I’m sure the forum will offer good advice on getting your little felLa feeling right at home. Just one question I have, is that just a standard light Bulb? Not basking?

sorry can’t offer any advice as I’m currently learning from the good people on this forum too, but you are a step ahead of me with regards to being up and running and I’d say your doing a good job and obviously a caring person, too many people get these things and plod on with no duty of care just thinking they know best, so it’s good you ask the questions and I’m sure the forum will offer good advice on getting your little felLa feeling right at home. Just one question I have, is that just a standard light Bulb? Not basking?
Awww thank you so much! I really appreciate that. She is doing much better now, thanks to these people and the help of some others I have met along the way. It takes tons of research….for sure. Efforts have paid off bc she is finally healthy and eating good! Yes, they recommend just a standard, non LED incandescent light bulb 60-100 watts usually. I went with 60 and it keeps my basking branch about 80 degrees, about 7-8 inches above it, on top of the enclosure. Some think the actual basking bulbs are too hot so I got this one just to be safe. You will
Find differing opinions whether you go here, Reddit, or Facebook. These people go by the chameleon academy, which in my opinion, is the best. Good luck!

So very glad that she’s doing better. 😊 I think sometimes I worry as much for other’s chameleons as much as for my own. Soil gnats are rotten and no joke to try and get rid of. Keep in mind that I have 4 chameleons and they are all in bioactive enclosures, so my battle with gnats is doomed. I run 2 Katchy traps which are ok for keeping the numbers down a bit. I also have a sundew plant (drosera capensis) which I pretty much just keep in the kitchen. The problem is that most traps will only catch the adult gnats, leaving the larvae in your plant soil. Some use a product called mosquito bits that I believe is supposed to be safe. https://www.chewy.com/summit-mosqui...hnO8BalixEIfpfO57DfdTKerZWTmBaYBoCJJoQAvD_BwE Then there’s always the fun option of hatching a mantis ooth in your enclosure. The baby mantids eat the gnats and then your cham has fun hunting down the mantids. I’m not sure if they are available still at this time of year. I get them from eBay. Avoiding overwatering your plants and letting your soil dry a little is also a big factor in reducing gnats.
Thank you so much! Just trying not to get water in my plants and some traps outside are helping so far. I just wanted to update you. She is doing amazing now!! Eating so much better. The full throttle feeder is working now. She knows that’s where her food is and realizes it’s easier than climbing all over her enclosure to get them!! Still eating the gnats too! lol it helps tho. She has been eating 10–15 a day now!! Moving on up I would say!! Thank you so much for everything!! You are awesoMe for taking your time to help!

Thank you so much! Just trying not to get water in my plants and some traps outside are helping so far. I just wanted to update you. She is doing amazing now!! Eating so much better. The full throttle feeder is working now. She knows that’s where her food is and realizes it’s easier than climbing all over her enclosure to get them!! Still eating the gnats too! lol it helps tho. She has been eating 10–15 a day now!! Moving on up I would say!! Thank you so much for everything!! You are awesoMe for taking your time to help!
I’m so glad your little bean is doing better and eating well. Sometimes it takes a little bit to find what works best for you and your chameleon. You’ve done all the work, so make sure to give yourself some big pats on the back and take the credit. 💗

Awww thank you so much! I really appreciate that. She is doing much better now, thanks to these people and the help of some others I have met along the way. It takes tons of research….for sure. Efforts have paid off bc she is finally healthy and eating good! Yes, they recommend just a standard, non LED incandescent light bulb 60-100 watts usually. I went with 60 and it keeps my basking branch about 80 degrees, about 7-8 inches above it, on top of the enclosure. Some think the actual basking bulbs are too hot so I got this one just to be safe. You will
Find differing opinions whether you go here, Reddit, or Facebook. These people go by the chameleon academy, which in my opinion, is the best. Good luck!
Good to know regarding the bulb , have read different things but good to know if works for you.,I would rather use a regular bulb

Back
Top Bottom