New Chameleon Questions

The only way to clear this up is to contact the veterinarian that prescribed and filled this prescription. They may have diluted it or completely messed up but only they can actually sort this properly.
Most oral suspensions are 25 mg/ml or 50 mg/ml. There are Baytril tabs that are 22.7 mg each. If they dissolved one of those in 1 mi of liquid that might be what you have or they mixed it in more fluid and labeled it poorly. The dose range in reptiles can be 5-10 mg/kg depending on factors.
My calculations for a 5 mg/kg dose rounding her weight up to 10 grams for simplicity gives me 0.002 cc or ml you have doses of 0.04 cc or ml. If they didn't dilute it that would be 20 times as much as she needs. 0.002 would be impossible for you to dose as that would be giving just 1/5th of the smallest mark on most 1 cc syringes. They hopefully diluted it but you need to find out from them.
Agree. And if they still tell you to give .000X of something explain that that is impossible to do accurately on a moving animal and ask for a bottle of sterile water. It is like a vial with a rubber top so that after you draw up that tiny bit of med, you can then put the needle in it, and draw up some of the sterile water so you have a larger amount in the syringe and a better chance of getting it in the cham.

Agree. And if they still tell you to give .000X of something explain that that is impossible to do accurately on a moving animal and ask for a bottle of sterile water. It is like a vial with a rubber top so that after you draw up that tiny bit of med, you can then put the needle in it, and draw up some of the sterile water so you have a larger amount in the syringe and a better chance of getting it in the cham.
So I called them this morning and they said that it is diluted and that there is 0.01 medication in each dose.

So I called them this morning and they said that it is diluted and that there is 0.01 medication in each dose.
They assured me that if anything it would be under…..since they only thought she weighed 2 g. I was going to break it up into two doses but they were so tiny….so I just gave it all to her. Hope they are right. What do I look for now?? Turning black??

Just see she gets plenty of opportunities to drink. Proper hydration is important when on Baytril. Since it is diluted you will be hydrating her some
Just see she gets plenty of opportunities to drink. Proper hydration is important when on Baytril. Since it is diluted you will be hydrating her some with each dose.
Ok I will do my best! Should I just put the dripper up all day. Any other suggestions?

Watch her urate. Mine won’t drink if I’m around. I have to monitor the color to make sure he is hydrated. White is good. If it’s orange or yellow then she is dehydrated. I believe hornworms are good for hydration too.
Do you know a good place to order small hornworms? I don’t have any place close to me so I have to order them. The ones I did order were so big, I couldn’t give her any the first time. I noticed a good bit of orange in her last one. She has really been struggling, poor girl.

Do you know a good place to order small hornworms? I don’t have any place close to me so I have to order them. The ones I did order were so big, I couldn’t give her any the first time. I noticed a good bit of orange in her last one. She has really been struggling, poor girl.
Dubiaroaches.com is where I get mine. They ship quickly and you can get 18 small ones for pretty cheap! I’ll post a picture here in a minute so you can see how small they are. I just got mine in the mail yesterday.

Also, I think a small amount of orange is ok, as long as it isn’t a lot. It should be mostly white.

Here’s a photo with a penny for scale. Just make sure you order the small size or they will be bigger when you get them.

Attachments

• IMG_8189.jpeg
    IMG_8189.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 51
Oh wow those are so much smaller than the ones I got. Thank you so much. I will order some now!
No problem! Someone here recommended them to me (I believe it was missskittles?) and I’m so glad! I don’t live anywhere near a good place to buy them either. Our local pet shop gets them once a week and they aren’t half as good as this site, and they cost more. I’m so happy I found this forum. I’m new to all this like you and I’m also trying to rehab. It’s been a lifesaver to have so many awesome people here who are so willing to help.

No problem! Someone here recommended them to me (I believe it was missskittles?) and I’m so glad! I don’t live anywhere near a good place to buy them either. Our local pet shop gets them once a week and they aren’t half as good as this site, and they cost more. I’m so happy I found this forum. I’m new to all this like you and I’m also trying to rehab. It’s been a lifesaver to have so many awesome people here who are so willing to help.
You ALL have definitely went above and beyond for me. I really appreciate all the help from all of you!

You ALL have definitely went above and beyond for me. I really appreciate all the help from all of you!
She is hanging out in the middle part of her enclosure. Started late yesterday evening. I am scared that this is a bad sign. She could be hiding from me bc she doesn’t want me to take her out again…..but I don’t know for sure. She was acting better yesterday but we will see what today holds.

Back
Top Bottom