Parson Chameleon Color Phases

I don't have a moral problem with the fact that the animals which are kept now are not in captivity since '95 or CB ones from those animals.
i dont either, its hard to have respect for a rule that is both irrational and unenforcible, and i think it will be the captive population that saves them, when the wild population goes extinct altogether. jmo

i think it will be the captive population that saves them

That approach has been tried back in 1995. When private collectors figured they could captive reproduce animals on the same level as Zoos. It did not come close to working. Even with captive breeding, wild populations for sustainable populations has been proven as the only way to go. As even with breeding Panther chameleons in captivity, breeders have only been able to breed them in captivity for 5 or 6 generations then normal reproduction seems to stop. Parsons have been proven as nowhere near as compatible for captive breeding as Panther chameleons and if you think captive breeding is going to save them you are kidding yourself big time.

A year later they went back and found that the forest had been slashed and burned and the newly discovered species were lost to science.

Species are resilient and hopefully there are areas where the species may exist elsewhere. That is the big reason why to promote conservation when some of these hot spots are found and promote to the locals to conserve these hot spots. And to start to adopt agricultural practices that conserve these important areas. I have heard of a newly discovered portion of forest in northern Madagascar where a similar situation is happening even with people attempting to conserve the area, everyone can only hope for the best when we are from afar.

I had the privilege of working with Calumma parsonii cristifer in 1998 and in all honesty would give up my whole collection now to have a group of these animals to work with. Not because of dollar value but because of my absolute fascination with these animals.

That is my dream species as well. However I was researching and found mention that a new preserve is going to be established (has been postponed by the political problems) that is going to be the largest protected area on the island and it going to conserve the and expand the range of Parsoni cristifer. I think by default to expand the range of the Indri Lemur.

Have a look.

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...wloc=A&ved=0CBUQpQY&ei=EcOBS86tFKeuiwOkxpj5CQ

I doubt any specie that is adapted to a specific niche would stand a chance against a hungry, axe wielding, petrol dousing human. I have been to madagascar and know that conservation would be the last thing on their minds. The reserves are heavily protected but you only need to fly over the island to realise just how much has been burnt away. Controlled captive propagation in conjunction with environmental protection and education is what will save our beloved chameleons from extinction.

I doubt any specie that is adapted to a specific niche would stand a chance against a hungry, axe wielding, petrol dousing human. I have been to madagascar and know that conservation would be the last thing on their minds. The reserves are heavily protected but you only need to fly over the island to realise just how much has been burnt away. Controlled captive propagation in conjunction with environmental protection and education is what will save our beloved chameleons from extinction.

Looks like there is a Red Eye Parsons possibly Red Eye White Lipped. As pointed out by Garrett on my thread Motherload Parsons in the lizard lounge. I think they may come from somewhere in Northern Madagascar as they look similar to a normal Orange Eye White Lipped Parsons. For a picture check out the thread "Motherload Parsons". The Moscow Zoo may be breeding these. If in Europe or Asia and I highly recommend buying captive bred animals not wild caught animals to take the collecting pressure off of the wild populations that for this phase we know nothing about like where, how conserved and protected, and how abundant this phase is. The Moscow Zoo may be a good place to start as they look like they are breeding this phase.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/motherload-parsons-43724/

Look at Garrett's first post on this thread.

For more pictures check out this gallery. Start with number 18.

http://www.google.com/translate?langpair=ru|en&u=http://chameleons.ru/

Last edited:
I'm an optimist and I think there are other Parsons colors phases/other chameleon species still out there in forest fragments or unexplored forests in Madagascar. However working with these animals in captivity is a privilege of achieved conservation goals and conserved forests/habitats should happen before any species is exported.

With how much deforestation that has happened throughout the range of Parsons chameleons in Madagascar. It would not surprise me if there are many phases that have gone extinct and that we chameleon fans have missed out on. This meaning lets make certain that we conserve the phases that we still have got.

As to the best of my knowledge the Yellow Giant is still an unprotected local/phase and in forest fragments there is possibly other phases that still exist. All of which should be conserved in the wild.

Last edited:
Wow, those Red Phase Parsonii are very interesting, never heard about it before.
As far as i know somebody here in Europe actually has 21 or so babies of the green giants btw.

Wow, those Red Phase Parsonii are very interesting, never heard about it before.
As far as i know somebody here in Europe actually has 21 or so babies of the green giants btw.

Red Eyes are really neat and rare phase of Parsonii. The main guy who has those is from Russia.

Pictures of the parents and babies Green Giants if you can.

I don´t think i can help you with those as i don´t really know this guy.
Don´t even know if this information is true or not but i hope so.
I guess we´ll hear about that soon enough if it´s true.

I don´t think i can help you with those as i don´t really know this guy.
Don´t even know if this information is true or not but i hope so.
I guess we´ll hear about that soon enough if it´s true.

I believe you are talking about Ralf, who hatched C.parsonii´s ? Ralf has a locale that he calls "green giants", But imo they look nothing like the green giants i have seen from masoala.
Here is a link to his site.
http://www.furciferpardalisnachzucht.de/Calumma-Parsonii-green-giant.htm

Here is a link to our C.parsonii species gallery.
http://kamaeleoner.dk/artsgalleri/85-c-parsonii.html

The concur with you the pictures posted from your first link do not appear to be Green Giants. They appear to have more of a Yellow or light Golden color to me. Not green at all.

Your second link has got some great new additional pictures of Green Giants. New pictures in addition to the originally posted pictures from what the Masoala Lodge had provided post(51) on this thread. Along with the additional picture that were from floating on the internet that were posted by Nick Garbut.

This is an updated range map of Calumma parsonii parsonii and Calumma parsonii cristifer's native range on the island of Madagascar. If Madagascar's eastern forest agricultural areas were gone this native range map would be much larger. People have got to have food to eat though.

800px-Calumma_parsonii_distribution.png

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
There are groups ask nick henn or chris Anderson I believe yoy can donate or possibly more

This is one of a couple of threads that talks about and lists groups that are conserving forest habitat in Madagascar. The last group/post "Rain Forest Trust" is conserving Calumma parsonii parsonii Yellow Giant and Calumma tarzan eastern forest habitat in Madagascar.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/madagascar-conservation-groups-123677/index2.html

I have actually got a couple prospect programs in the works in regards to forest conservation in Madagascar.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Thanks for posting Ronsta Fari on Facebook.

Seems as though there are locals or other phases to Golden Giant Parsonii. Plus here is some new locations.

-Voizaana are Golden Head Golden Giants
-Anosible An-ala are solid gold Golden Giant
-Vohamana are greenish bodied Golden Giants

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom