Parson Chameleon Color Phases

Motherlode Chameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
I've just been researching this for a while and wonder what every one else thinks. Seems that Parsons chameleons are similar to panthers (not on the same scale though) in that each locale has its own unique color phase (I've read similar for C. Brevicornus and F. Oustaleti). How many color phases are recognized as existing. I've heard of White Lipped Orange Eyed, Yellow Lipped, the subspecies Parsons Christopher, Giant Yellow (or Honey Parsons), and lastly Giant Green Parsons (solid green and no color on the lips and eyes). Are there any others?:):)

If there is not an active chameleon conservation group maybe we should start one up in copperation with a reputable and more establish conservation group such as WWF and The Nature Conservancy.

I know of the orange eye (or white lip as some call it) who is the most common one and lives in a bigger area in some of the other locale variations. Not really sure how large the area is, but a guess could be from Mananara to Antalaho!?
parsonii07.jpg

yellow lip comes from Ranomanfana
yellow%20lip1.jpg

yellow giant comes from Anosybe an´Nala and?? They are huge and when stressed turns into place spots like in the link.
yellow%20giant2.jpg

Green giant is a "new" discovered locale variation that is pretty large and has larger rostral horns. They are almost all green. They comec from Masoala but I have heard that they might also comes from makira! can any one confirm?

I have heard of large brown one, but its not confirmed

And then there is the C. p. Cristifer from andasibe /perinet.
cristiferum01.jpg

I have heard Europe has been doing some conservation that affects chameleons is their a way people here in the states could contribute that you would recomend.

I've heard a couple of European and other large groups are working to preserve pristine forest in Madagascar thru a friend of mine that works for California Fish and Game. We should probably try to start up a conservation program thru these forums for Madagascar chameleons that goes thru WWF, Nature Conservancy or some one else big with good reputation. I'm am Agriculture Management and Rangeland Resource major at UC Davis and I would love to have a job in Madagascar working on improving wildland conservation and upgrading of agricultural practice (stopping slash and burn). Although I would have to take a rain check on this since this won't happen for at least another two years when I graduate.

Neils
The white lipped and the giant yellow parsons link would not go thru for access to the photos. Cool photos of the Yellow Lipped and the Cristifer.

Possibly, the one you have got a picture of has got orange eyes except no white lips. Arkive has got some good chameleon photos, I've got some of their photos framed and on my wall.

The site that you used to show Parson color phases (Kamaeleoner.dk) has got some awesome photos, check some of those out they are not in english however their gorgeous. Looks like their are at least a couple phases of C Globifer as well.

Well we have pictures of C.globifer but just the normal form.
yes sorry, its only on Danish but we are working on the english site chameleones.dk

I'm looking forward to the site being translated to english. Plus in some of the forest that still remain it would not surprise me if we find color phases of C. Parsoni that have not been described yet. These forest should be protected for chameleons and all chameleon fans.

I've heard of Yellows/ Honey Parsons being available however I would question their legality (would be extremely tough to find someone with credible paperwork for these animals (CITES papers)). You have got more of a shot at finding them in Europe (only buy captive bred from breeding programs if legitimate! No wild caughts).

Credible paperwork and "legal" paperwork are two different things with this species. Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "credible" paperwork for any Parson's sold in the last 10 years or so as there is no one still breeding Parson's from bloodlines exported from Madagascar prior to the suspension in 1995. Buying cb or ch now is still supporting the illegal trade, if that's what anyone is actually concerned with.

Credible paperwork and "legal" paperwork are two different things with this species. Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing as "credible" paperwork for any Parson's sold in the last 10 years or so as there is no one still breeding Parson's from bloodlines exported from Madagascar prior to the suspension in 1995. Buying cb or ch now is still supporting the illegal trade, if that's what anyone is actually concerned with.

Could be just a quote from sb who doesn't own them, Kent :p

Really? Who do you know that is breeding Parson's bloodlines exported from Madagascar prior to 1995?

OK then conserve Madagascar wild forest to the point that consideration (who knows when that will be) to allow people that are breeding these species can import some for captive breeding (authentic breeding operations). I when I said credible mean with CITES paper work.

We all know the truth but wtf ? The majority of the animals which are now in captivity are good hands and we are learning more and more about them.
I don't have a moral problem with the fact that the animals which are kept now are not in captivity since '95 or CB ones from those animals.

Back
Top Bottom