Parson Chameleon Color Phases

If you have confidence in a breeder stay with them (legitimate captive bred not just importing wild gravid females). There is by far more orange eyed white lipped Parsons in Captivity than any other Parson color phase. Just stay away from imports and attempt to encourage protected areas in Madagascar for this phase.

Kind of looks like it does (Parsons that I have seen normally seem to have moderately high spines). It actually would not surprise me if two decades from now biologists/taxonomist re looked at all these different phase/ forms of Parsons and listed them as all separate sub species. Has happened before. This Island is definitely old enough for that kind of evolution.

The Galapagos have got their finches Madagascar has got its Chameleons.

Heck with a more high profile recognition. The chameleons of Madagascar are going to have many more motivated biologist/ scientists working to preserve all the chameleon species as possibly.

That is great news for Madagascar chameleon conservation!

Plus would make a great taxonomist thesis paper!

Do you have an issue number for the Troger article? I don't recall him writing anything for the CiN. Thanks.

Just got done watching the Chameleons of Madagascar video and in the area where the Orange Eyed White Lipped Parsons is supposed to be native to there is no National Parks however in that area according to the movie charts land has been set aside as nature preserves.

Also the video shows two kinds of Minor Chameleons. A big bronze colored phase that tusk spread outward and a smaller dark with blue color chameleon with strait horns.

Plus collecting any chameleon species from secondary forests that is around a stable core area should be done in a way that has a minimal impact on population in the area that is being collected. Such as not over collecting in one area and collecting juveniles and some sub adults while leaving the breeding adults in the population to allow for recovery from collecting as fast as possible.

Any one who has worked with or seen Yellow Giant Parsons are the females larger than normal (orange eyed) Parsons females or is it just the males that are super sized?

Has anyone seen what Parsons chameleons look like from around Andapa or south of Ranomafana. I don't think there phases have been documented in written accounts however anyone who has gone herp hunting or a part of a research programs in Madagascar any insight as to what the phases look like would be great.

IMO, i think keepers sometimes want to be like pokemon masters. it actually kind of sickens me that some actually just try and get as many or the most hard to obtain chameleons without any proper knowledge, a know-it-all attitude, pride, money eyes.. and so on.. i strongly believe that not all chameleons should be on the trade. obviously there are just some over populated species, that are found anywhere on the market, and for that reason there is a purpose. but i also strongly believe that NOBODY could EVER imitate the same climate, eco system, this and that. having those conditions consist more than 2x2x4 screen cage, a mistking and some live plants. everything fluctuates in the wild, and wild caughts are USED TO THIS.

like a previous poster said, the best way to view these rare and endangered animals, is to observe them in their NATURAL habitat. and if you're so fasinated with them, and do nothing but dedicate your time and life to them, then move to the friggen place, save your money, and observe and research until your little heart stops beating.

i just absolutely hate the thought of wild caught, the abuse and stress they go through, the buck they're bought for and the hundreds they're sold for. it sickens me. but again some species are just common enough to do that, doesnt mean im for it, but those should go to the dedicated owners, and not just anybody who picks a montane for a beginner, some who picks any chameleon and doesnt dedicate most to all of their spare time to it. they should go to those who do their research first, who have a sufficient enough set up going before they buy it.

parsons.. parsons parsons parsons.... the kingpin of all curly tailed herps. IMO they should be LEFT alone and conserved on their OWN land and observed and monitored by wildlife organizations in that area. i think they should be stricken from the trade, but again its for a buck right. will that ever change?

to the parson's owners on here, have you taken in your $1300 animal with all extensive knowledge, care and what not? did you purchase a pair? and when eggs were laid, did dollar signs pop in your eye balls? im not at all trying to sound condemming, assuming or Holy art tho', and no im certainly not jealous at all. out of all the parson threads on here, this is the first one ive ever replied to. just stated my very long opinion in which i realy do appologize for lol.

i strongly believe that not all chameleons should be on the trade.

I concur with you, however, this is a threads, since I am a fan of chameleons and Madagascar, to know what chameleons and their phases is out there, which is a hobby of mine. Some species I am totally OK to settle with only pictures , videos and eco tourism.

the best way to view these rare and endangered animals, is to observe them in their NATURAL habitat.

I concur with you to on that point as well.

The one thing should be made aware of those species that entering the hobby most of the time turn their keepers into passionate hobbyist who give a damn about chameleons and if educated properly and if they give back to conservation efforts which in the long run protects more chameleons and their habitats. Which if there was not any chameleons in the hobby the hobbyist would never had a clue about and never made aware of these conservation issues.

not just anybody who picks a montane for a beginner

I could not say if that is directed at me however I have been keeping chameleons since 1994.

my post was not driected to anybody imparticular. and i agree with you totally that it has the potential to turn someone into a passionate hobbiest, an extreamy educated keeper an so on. but there are still so many people out there, perhaps with money, go after lust of desire, who want one just because they want one. who can afford it, but still not give a damn about it. thats why my hats off go to passionate keepers. its hard to say that i dont support wild caught, because that is the only way you can obtain a certain species at times, i myself may have a wc 2 horned fischers lined up by this week, obviously wildcaught. but there are just so many very uncommon and rare endagered if you will species out there, im a fan of madagascar as well, but even their human habitants dont respect the place. and in this time, the trade of these animals should be completely off limits. you have your typical and common animals from madagascar that yes, i will agree with, just because they are common, your paradalis and what not. but still, conserving the endangered in a place where even human life is a threat because much isnt being done ticks me off a little. yes things are being done, but more could be happening.

I know of the orange eye (or white lip as some call it) who is the most common one and lives in a bigger area in some of the other locale variations. Not really sure how large the area is, but a guess could be from Mananara to Antalaho!?
parsonii07.jpg

yellow lip comes from Ranomanfana
yellow%20lip1.jpg

yellow giant comes from Anosybe an´Nala and?? They are huge and when stressed turns into place spots like in the link.
yellow%20giant2.jpg

Green giant is a "new" discovered locale variation that is pretty large and has larger rostral horns. They are almost all green. They comec from Masoala but I have heard that they might also comes from makira! can any one confirm?

I have heard of large brown one, but its not confirmed

And then there is the C. p. Cristifer from andasibe /perinet.
cristiferum01.jpg

The photo of the yellow giant you posted looks a lot like a white lip with some very yellow coloration, never seen one like that before. When I think of yellow giant I picture something like these two photos. here is a white lip that is showing a little more yellow\green than the standard. And one more of a yellow parsonii to confuse things :D

Attachments

• yellowgiant.jpg
    yellowgiant.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 403
  • yellowgiant2.jpg
    yellowgiant2.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 415
  • whitelipgreen.jpg
    whitelipgreen.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 388
  • yellowgiant3.jpg
    yellowgiant3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 382
I was at the presenting a scientific poster at a symposium of the Herpetological Association of Africa in 1998, Stellenboch, South Africa. I had a the privilege to chat to 2 spanish scientists that were working in Madagascar doing research at that stage. They were talking about newly discovered species that they found in a small patch of forest. A year later they went back and found that the forest had been slashed and burned and the newly discovered species were lost to science. I agree that some species should be left where they are, but how do we know that they will be there the next year? It is always better to have a small population of these animals in the care of people who are dedicated to their well being and reproduction. I had the privilege of working with Calumma parsonii cristifer in 1998 and in all honesty would give up my whole collection now to have a group of these animals to work with. Not because of dollar value but because of my absolute fascination with these animals. I was also lucky enough to find them in their natural habitat.

Back
Top Bottom