Panther Chameleon died today after throwing up

Lukie Pookie

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male ambilobe chameleon, 6 months old bought from a breeder back in April. Been in only my care since then.
Handling - I used to handle my chameleon every 3-4 days but since I put him in his 24x24x48 I haven't held him
Feeding - I feed my chameleon large crickets (they're about the distant between his head) with the occasional mealworms, silkworms and hornworms. I feed him everyday in the morning. Sometimes I'm running late in the mornings and feed him at about 3:00
Supplements - I dust without D3 at every feeding using Repcal and use D3 twice a month using flukers.
Watering - I mist my chameleon's enclosure about 3 times a day. When I wake up in the morning in the afternoon at about 3 and at about 5. Whenever I mist the cage he goes for a drink. I also see him constantly drinking throughout the day.
Fecal Description - My chameleon's fecal has been looking great. Nothing unusal looking with the urates or poop. He just hasn't been pooping as often as he used to when we moved him from his old cage
History - My chameleon has had instances where he hasn't pooped for a day or two but he's always went and has been fine. Other than that he's been good.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptibreeze 24x24x48
Lighting - Not sure of the brand but I use a UVA UVB bulb from 7 am - 7 pm
Temperature - Temperatures are about 65 at the floor and about 85-90 basking spot. At night the temps are a steady 60
Humidity - Humidity ranges from 40 during the day and jumps to 80 when misted.
Plants - Dwarf umbrella plant
Placement - The enclosure is in my bedroom which is empty during the day when I'm at school, when I'm at home I'm constantly in there.
Location - Niagara on the Lake, Ontario Canada

Current Problem -
I woke up this morning and checked up on my chameleon. He was already awake when I turned on the light but I was running late today. His eyes were closed which I know is a sign of stress in chameleons. However; I've never seen him close his eyes, even when we moved him into his new cage. I checked around the cage to see if anything was bothering him and I found some vomit at the bottom of the enclosure. It consisted of crickets and slime. I knew something was up so I looked around on the forum and thought he was maybe just a little tired of crickets. I also came to a conclusion that maybe he had parasites, but his past poops looked fine to me. I thought that maybe he was impacted because I noticed he doesn't consistently poop, which was weird because he often drinks. Maybe the crickets were too large for him? I kept all these in my troubled head as I went to school. I came home to find him laying on the ground with his eyes closed. I took him out of the enclosure to find he was no longer breathing and came to the conclusion that he was dead. I'm not completely sure what happened here. I really need someone to help me, please. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Unfortunately I don't believe I can offer any help with what might have caused this. Hopefully others will have some possible insight.

Back
Top Bottom